• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:04

8 dollars for a 20+ year old game. Sounds reasonable. I love the apologist mentality some folk have for Ninty.

Doubtful. Nintendo already have all of the resources/code etc. to do this. It's confusing as why it took them this long. Nintendo making a stable emulator for the Wii U isn't like hobbyist coders who made Znes or Snes9x.

contrary to popular belief, companies like ninendo don't just have developers hanging around doing nothing that they can throw random project to give away for free.

There are several reasons for the price.
- developer cost of the emulator
- Developer costs of customizing the roms to work with the new emulator and support the new WiiU features
- QnA teams costs to check the games actually work without errors and bugs in the new emulator. with the new features.
- market research, what price is the market willing to pay for games they cannot LEGALLY play otherwise without buying expensive old consoles and expensive rare out of production cartridges.

#17 OP compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 27 April 2013 - 22:51

contrary to popular belief, companies like ninendo don't just have developers hanging around doing nothing that they can throw random project to give away for free.

There are several reasons for the price.
- developer cost of the emulator
- Developer costs of customizing the roms to work with the new emulator and support the new WiiU features
- QnA teams costs to check the games actually work without errors and bugs in the new emulator. with the new features.
- market research, what price is the market willing to pay for games they cannot LEGALLY play otherwise without buying expensive old consoles and expensive rare out of production cartridges.

Who said anything about free? I never said free. I might believe what you were saying if Nintendo weren't notorious for having over priced games.

#18 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 April 2013 - 23:04

$8 for Mario world? :D

SNES9x FTW

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 27 April 2013 - 23:05

and why is the price absurd. it's what people are willing to pay for it, and there's hours and hours of entertainment in it. even if you only play it 4-8 hours that's 1-2 dollars per hour. Better than most entertainment.

It's absurd because the company has already made money on the game the first time around and the games are dated. You can usually pick up contemporary titles for that price within a year of release and they tend to offer a better experience as they're designed to modern standards. And let's be honest, most Nintendo games are pretty much remakes of these earlier games so people have already bought them multiple times over.

Charging £4 / $6.20 is the most I think reasonable and really £2.99 seems the appropriate price. These releases should be more about giving something back to fans than trying to fleece their loyal customers. Capitalism dictates Nintendo can charge what it wants but I personally think the price is excessive.

#20 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 27 April 2013 - 23:24

I dunno about any modern games giving you better gameplay experience than Mario World.

and again. they're charging what people are willing to pay, would I like them to be cheaper yeah sure, do I think they're expensive, sure. are they worth it, yes, in general they are. at least for the titles I'm interested in.

they have valuable assets and they can charge for them. Lets see if the third parties lay on the same price or not.

as for emulators and downloaded roms, sure, but they're not really legal, this is legally owning the games in playable form again.these are also individually properly tested to be stable and play correctly.

#21 AR556

AR556

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 April 2013 - 23:46

I dunno about any modern games giving you better gameplay experience than Mario World.

and again. they're charging what people are willing to pay, would I like them to be cheaper yeah sure, do I think they're expensive, sure. are they worth it, yes, in general they are. at least for the titles I'm interested in.

they have valuable assets and they can charge for them. Lets see if the third parties lay on the same price or not.

as for emulators and downloaded roms, sure, but they're not really legal, this is legally owning the games in playable form again.these are also individually properly tested to be stable and play correctly.

No they're not. An example would be F-Zero X on the VC. Games suffers from artifacting on the track and I think some slow downs that weren't in the original N64 version.

I also take issue with your claims that they put a lot of hours into creating emulators as there are open-source emus like MAME, Nestopia, BSNES, etc. that are nearly pixel perfect. Do you really think Nintendo and other companies don't examine those resources and "borrow" from them?? I've read some posts by members of MAME Dev that they don't really mind if its the original content creator using their emulation. Some of these talented guys are even on board with commerical emulation.

#22 Veiva

Veiva

Neowinian

Posted 27 April 2013 - 23:54

I personally don't have a problem with the costs of the VC software. Yes, it's not cheap, but quite frankly I can't stand how top games sell for $0.99 on the "App Store" and/or are filled with IAP/microtransactions to get the "full" experience. People don't realize that free/cheap apps on Android, etc are actually much more expensive when you factor in such "features."

#23 johnnyq3

johnnyq3

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2013 - 00:07

Doubtful. Nintendo already have all of the resources/code etc. to do this. It's confusing as why it took them this long. Nintendo making a stable emulator for the Wii U isn't like hobbyist coders who made Znes or Snes9x.

It still takes time and effort to code everything to work right. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate just recently added on the feature of screen switching. Building infrastructure for Miiverse. A lot of work goes into making each of their VC titles, at least for the WiiU ports which have more features than the Wii version.