Student Offers $1,000 for Data on Stolen Laptop

Tell me who said "PhDs are unintelligent"

What he said is:

[/color]

Let's look at the phrase "have 0 to do with intelligence", which, I believe, if you ask any average joe, it means "have no relationship with intelligence".

So please enlighten me, who said specifically "PhDs are unintelligent"?

For the whole post I wrote, this is what you want to reply? Well as I said, feel free to make me feel special. Thanks.

Don't play games. He said that it doesn't take intelligence to get a PhD ("have 0 to do with intelligence" or, less lazily, "have nothing to do with intelligence") and you then said that that's generally true ("His statement contains some truth...in general". It's a nonsense argument and you know it. You're silly to defend him and his ignorant opinions.

because of One? I can show you entire universities full of them..... Even the one I went to, the PhD's refused to associate with the "under class" because they weren't qualified to talk to them... I've met a LOT of full of themselves PhD students... I'd say about a third of them qualify as "I'm better then you"... heck I think the culture is encouraged by the processors / advisors in some schools... my sister went to a major university in Philadelphia, and on their orientation, they where told "you are better then everyone else here, make sure it's shown" as part of their orientation papers that they received... I mean seriously, that is ridiculous... sure they made it further in, doesn't mean you have to flaunt it...

I didn't mean that some PhD students aren't stuck up, I meant that most PhD students are smart enough to back up their work...

between not backing their stuff up and not knowing what any of their passwords are to any site, is the average user right there. This one woman didn't know what her gmail password was. When she would go to gmail.com it would just log her in. When all of the sudden it didn't do that she had ZERO idea what her password was.

So then we did the password recovery and it sent a recovery link to her ISP email, she had no idea what that password was either :D

between not backing their stuff up and not knowing what any of their passwords are to any site, is the average user right there. This one woman didn't know what her gmail password was. When she would go to gmail.com it would just log her in. When all of the sudden it didn't do that she had ZERO idea what her password was.

So then we did the password recovery and it sent a recovery link to her ISP email, she had no idea what that password was either :D

That sounds like the typical user lo

I didn't mean that some PhD students aren't stuck up, I meant that most PhD students are smart enough to back up their work...

PhD is far too general to say that. Too many people with PhDs out there have little idea on how to operate a computer, much less back up.

All that you can really say is that having a PHD doesn't necessitate high intelligence.

This is the less harsh way of saying it. Which I can certainly agree with.

Then this left us with other things, like what exactly is intelligence. With this case posted in OP, does the skill or even simply the awareness of making backups of his research equals to intelligence?

PhD is far too general to say that. Too many people with PhDs out there have little idea on how to operate a computer, much less back up.

Would I expect someone who's doing a PhD in Computer science to know how to backup on a computer? Yes. Would I be shocked if a Psychology PhD student didn't know how? Not at all.

Don't play games. He said that it doesn't take intelligence to get a PhD ("have 0 to do with intelligence" or, less lazily, "have nothing to do with intelligence") and you then said that that's generally true ("His statement contains some truth...in general". It's a nonsense argument and you know it. You're silly to defend him and his ignorant opinions.

It is not a nonsense argument. I've been through it and I've seen candidates with my own eyes.

You, sir, however, have obviously not.

But carry on.

Would I expect someone who's doing a PhD in Computer science to know how to backup on a computer? Yes. Would I be shocked if a Psychology PhD student didn't know how? Not at all.

This guy was in Chemistry, not Computer Science.

This guy was in Chemistry, not Computer Science.

If this happened 10 years ago I wouldn't really care because it was excusable that time.

But now, 2012/2013, almost every major university is highly computerized and connected. As far as I know, academic advisors will emphasize the importance of backups. Graduate school handbooks usually will say the same thing, along with anti-virus, the use of copy-righted material..etc..etc.

It is expected every doctorate candidate knows basic computer skills, which includes backing up files (buy a USB drive, copy a folder from your HDD to the new drive, as simple as that).

If this happened 10 years ago I wouldn't really care because it was excusable that time.

But now, 2012/2013, almost every major university is highly computerized and connected. As far as I know, academic advisors will emphasize the importance of backups. Graduate school handbooks usually will say the same thing, along with anti-virus, the use of copy-righted material..etc..etc.

It is expected every doctorate candidate knows basic computer skills, which includes backing up files (buy a USB drive, copy a folder from your HDD to the new drive, as simple as that).

There are so many people that go through the motions and don't know wtf is going on, it is ridiculous. I see people getting IT related degrees all the time that barely know how to use a computer.

That said, I still think the guy is probably trying to bait the thief.

This is the less harsh way of saying it. Which I can certainly agree with.

How is it a less harsh way of saying it? They mean very different things.

yea, my uni certainly goes on and on about backing up your stuff because it's your responsibility and you'll be screwed if anything happens. i'd be surprised if every other university didn't do this.

ah, yes I agree with that, most people who invest a lifetime of work are smart enough to make copies of it