Will Apple bring back the ethernet port on the next rMBP revision?

Since Surface Pro comes with only 1 USB port, what do you think if I need my USB mouse at the same time? TQ.

Over the last few years, we've had these things called "developments". One of them being USB hubs, another being bluetooth.

You can transfer the dell warranty to another person (if you sell your laptop) or to another country. If you buy a laptop through the business / commercial division then the warranty is international.

HP has an international warranty, says it on the warranty FAQ information page:

Samsung will provide you with warranty service outside the country of purchase, it's on their website too:

As well as Asus:

I get that you like Apple products, and that's perfectly fine, but please don't spread BS.

It doesn't work like that, sorry. It's looking good on paper, but when you NEED to use your warranty cover, they ask for a local invoice, which means you had paid all taxes.

Apple doesn't ask for anything: they just pull your serial number and repair your machine. There's no need for documents or local invoices.

I wish it was easy like that.

TBF it will involve a bit of work, but new ports and such do get added to the mbp in revisions. So adding an ethernet port will be the same as adding Thunderbolt but probably a lot easier in fact. I don't see the problem with them doing it. It'll be the easiest upgrade they could do. Maybe they're waiting for Terabit Ethernet. lol

How is adding ethernet easier than adding Thunderbolt? They would either need to create those flip ports, or make the laptop thicker. So it is not as easy as adding Thunderbolt since that port already fits with the thickness of the case and design.

And I said thousands if not millions. It depends on the design they go with. I have never seen Apple make something even close to those ethernet flip ports we see on other laptops. They need to design a change to the case, approve the design, produce it, and test it. It is not as easy as adding a smaller Thunderbolt port which fits within the case size. So yes, depending on what Apple would do, it COULD.....COULD cost them millions since they need to redesign it. It is not as easy as adding a port that already fits within the size limitation. They can go with the flip port, or make the laptop thicker. Both will require detailed design and approval phases.

This is a crazy discussion, large companies can't run a wireless only network. I understand this is not the target market but I do have a Mac Book Pro for my portable solution and the work network I use to sync everything is Ethernet. I can assume that the "adapter" we talk about - still makes this possible?

This is a crazy discussion, large companies can't run a wireless only network. I understand this is not the target market but I do have a Mac Book Pro for my portable solution and the work network I use to sync everything is Ethernet. I can assume that the "adapter" we talk about - still makes this possible?

Yes $30 more gives you a Ethernet to Thunderbolt adapter. With Thunderbolt supporting up to 10Gb/s, Apple has the option (I am not saying they will) to create 10 Gbit Ethernet adapters when those are available. If you need such speeds, it would only cost you another $30.

Yes $30 more gives you a Ethernet to Thunderbolt adapter. With Thunderbolt supporting up to 10Gb/s, Apple has the option (I am not saying they will) to create 10 Gbit Ethernet adapters when those are available. If you need such speeds, it would only cost you another $30.

And there will probably be cheaper adapters made by 3rd parties... In the whole history of computing I've never seen so many people bitch and moan over an adapter. It's an adapter folks. If this wasn't Apple related there wouldn't even be a thread over it (or at least not one that goes on and on for 6 pages).

First of all, if I wanted to check my email in Starbucks, I would not use my laptop; I will happily use my iPhone because I encrypt using S/MIME or tunnel via VPN, as necessary. At an airport, using your example, and given a choice of wired or wireless, I would always opt for the cable. Not only it is generally faster -- because I do not have to fight for access point bandwidth with people using their iPhones, iPads and other mobile devices -- but is usually (though not always) more secure because it is less susceptible to man-in-the-middle traffic sniffing.

For laptops, wired all the way baby. If Apple is gradually phasing out Ethernet sockets from models in their MacBook portfolio, they can be my guest. I will quite happily choose a Windows-based power horse that does not force me to battle things like interference, signal strength, etc.

Ok, since you insist on using wired at an Airport do you carry around an ethernet patch cable for that purpose? If you do then see my original point that attaching said adapter to your patch cable really doesn't add anything in terms of travel bulk. In otherwords, what was your point again?

If your point ultimatly is you don't want to spend $30 on an adapter, then fine. Don't ever buy another adapter to anything ever again. If your point is STILL that you don't want to carry around the adapter then I question why when you already carry around a patch cable.

Of course they can, if they want. Whole cities are wireless now, where I work they installed wireless repeaters throughout the building when they did renovations, it works out great since prior to wireless, everyone was fighting for an ethernet port in the conference rooms.

The best solution is if a company is going to sell computers without ethernet ports, also sell a dock with one. Then you have the best of both worlds.

I rather have an adapter. How many places you need internet that has ethernet? A hotel? rarely. I travel a lot for work, and never been to a hotel in the last few years that does not have wireless. All business chains have it.

Even a direct connect to another computer I use USB to USB.

I'd rather have the thinner design.

The official adapter is what - ?30. And there are other alternatives out at a third of that price, and I'm sorry, but if you can afford an ?1800 computer, you can afford a cheap adapter.

We have a couple surface pros, and Samsung Slate tablets. The Dell monitors have a USB hub built in to them (4 ports). So everything plugs in to the monitor and the hub plugs in to the tablet. Works great. We also have a display port adapter so the tablets can use a bigger monitor. Only complaint I have is the mess of wires.

I have a Samsung laptop at home. It has a physical network jack but I have never used it. With wireless being widely available, and the ability to tether your phone, it really is not needed. Especially with wireless speeds increasing. Of course I am sure there are exceptions...like at the work place.

Ok, since you insist on using wired at an Airport do you carry around an ethernet patch cable for that purpose? If you do then see my original point that attaching said adapter to your patch cable really doesn't add anything in terms of travel bulk. In otherwords, what was your point again?

If your point ultimatly is you don't want to spend $30 on an adapter, then fine. Don't ever buy another adapter to anything ever again. If your point is STILL that you don't want to carry around the adapter then I question why when you already carry around a patch cable.

I do carry an Ethernet patch cable with me. My principal objection is against removal of an Ethernet port to further some unknown agenda. Apple did not need to do that. It did not solve any consumer problem. Elimination of an Ethernet port, which has been the bedrock of connectivity for years, for the sake of aesthetics and to cash in on adapters in a high end laptop irks me to no end. For me, an Ethernet port is a must in a laptop, period.

I do carry an Ethernet patch cable with me. My principal objection is against removal of an Ethernet port to further some unknown agenda. Apple did not need to do that. It did not solve any consumer problem. Elimination of an Ethernet port, which has been the bedrock of connectivity for years, for the sake of aesthetics and to cash in on adapters in a high end laptop irks me to no end. For me, an Ethernet port is a must in a laptop, period.

One of the key features for laptops has always been mobility. Therefore, reduction in size and weight is not purely for the sake of visual aesthetics because it increases mobility. For me, mobility is paramount and I think it was a smart design move for Apple given the fact that the thunderbolt port is more than adequet for high speed connectivity when required. I also applauded the removal of the optical drive because this is another thing that I find less-and-less useful on laptops.

Just out of curiousity, were you considering a MacBook Pro for purchase prior to Apple dropping the ethernet port?

I want all the "wireless is the king, ethernet is dead" people to copy / move a 4GB file over your network. Have fun with that!

I want all the "wireless is the king, ethernet is dead" people to copy / move a 4GB file over your network. Have fun with that!

Yeah, that would be a huge problem if there were no suitable adapter... good thing there is.

First off, there's an ethernet adapter to use.

And secondly, with Wireless-N, and AC coming, transferring a 4GB isn't a huge task. It'll take what - an extra 40 seconds over N, and an extra 20 seconds over AC? It'd probably take me longer to find and plug in an ethernet cable ;).

The Macbook Pro still has the ethernet port. The retina does not. If you need a Macbook pro and need the Ethernet port BUILT IN, get the standard Pro.

The retina is a new line of laptops. How long it will be before they no longer sell the Macbook Pro without retina? Who knows. They said so in the announcement video. With it being a new product line, they were able to eliminate the ethernet port and superdrive.

Elimination of an Ethernet port, which has been the bedrock of connectivity for years, for the sake of aesthetics and to cash in on adapters in a high end laptop irks me to no end. For me, an Ethernet port is a must in a laptop, period.

For YOU. Apple gave you a choice. It is a nice mobility and slim design. If you need the ethernet port, get the adapter. If you dont, you have a nice slim mobile powerhouse at your disposal.

The Macbook Pro still has the ethernet port. The retina does not. If you need a Macbook pro and need the Ethernet port BUILT IN, get the standard Pro.

The retina is a new line of laptops. How long it will be before they no longer sell the Macbook Pro without retina? Who knows. They said so in the announcement video. With it being a new product line, they were able to eliminate the ethernet port and superdrive.

For YOU. Apple gave you a choice. It is a nice mobility and slim design. If you need the ethernet port, get the adapter. If you dont, you have a nice slim mobile powerhouse at your disposal.

I think that for the most part it is safe to say that the people who have a problem with this weren't really considering buying a Mac anyway. I'm sure that there are folks who were considering a retina MBP but are put off by the lack of the ethernet port (but I agree with you that it is silly and there is a perfect fine adapter for it).

The underlying issue is that when it comes to Windows laptops, there are a TON of OEMs who each output a TON of different laptop models. So if a particular Windows laptop doesn't have a particular feature, there are a lot of choices around that. I don't want Apple to operate this way. I like that their hardware is razor sharp because they've put everything into the small set of models that they put out there. This is their edge, and Apple fans love that edge.

I'm looking at my ThinkPad at work and some of the design choices are baffling to me. For instance, the video output is a DisplayPort. Even though, the vast majority of "DisplayPort" monitors actually use Mini DisplayPort connectors when my laptop was released (2011). Ok...you don't see me throwing baby fits over the fact that ThinkPad didn't include a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter. No, I just bought the adapter because complaining about spending an extra $20 when the laptop cost $1800 just doesn't make sense. Windows OEMs don't include these adapters, but when it comes to Apple a lot of people just want to cause a stink. Furthermore, almost all Windows laptops (my ThinkPad included) place these random ports all around the laptop...I have a docking station at work (which I love btw), but at home after I connect the power adapter in the back, the display port on the left side, and the ethernet port on the right side the thing just looks ridiculous. Why would you want these ports all around the laptop when having them all on the same side (like the MBP) makes wiring look so much cleaner? Its these little things that the Windows laptop OEM guys do that makes me wonder if any of them actually use their own products.