15 posts in this topic

Posted

My partner plays The Sims 3 on her laptop and often wants to continue where she left off on my PC.

I have installed Dropbox on both systems, and logged in to my account on both inside the program.

The folder is around 7-8 GB, so we'd need to use LAN sync.

[b]How can I automatically sync the contents of the following folder between her laptop and my PC:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves[/b]

I did try opening a CMD window to the The Sims 3 directory on her laptop and typing:

[i]mklink /J Saves C:\Users\Elliot\Dropbox[/i]

... but that displayed [i]"Cannot create a file when that file already exists."[/i]

I tried opening a CMD window to the Saves directory and typing:

[i]mklink /J Saves C:\Users\Elliot\Dropbox[/i]

...but that just creates a Saves shortcut inside the Saves folder, which of course does nothing.

[b]EDIT:[/b] [i]mklink /d C:\Users\Triin\Dropbox\Saves "C:\Users\Triin\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves"[/i] seems to work.</username>

Posted (edited)

Didn't Budman answer that question in your last thread?

Alternatively ditch DropBox and go for the batch file approach with a mapped drive. Edited by spikey_richie

Posted

[quote name='spikey_richie' timestamp='1367091897' post='595661234']
[color=#282828]Didn't we have this same question about 6 weeks ago? And it was suggested they/you use Dropbox?[/color]
[/quote]

Next time at least read the OP KTHX..

[quote][color=#282828]I have installed Dropbox on both systems, and logged in to my account on both inside the program.[/quote][/color]
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='spikey_richie' timestamp='1367091897' post='595661234']
Didn't we have this same question about 6 weeks ago? And it was suggested they/you use Dropbox?
[/quote]

Didn't you read above? I [i]am[/i] using Dropbox and since it's 7-8 GB (and Dropbox gives 2 GB), I need to use LAN sync and symbolic links, which I'm having trouble with. That's why I'm posting here.

Posted

Maybe this can help: http://lifehacker.com/5154698/sync-files-and-folders-outside-your-my-dropbox-folder

Posted

[quote name='Anaron' timestamp='1367092072' post='595661240']
Maybe this can help: [url="http://lifehacker.com/5154698/sync-files-and-folders-outside-your-my-dropbox-folder"]http://lifehacker.co...-dropbox-folder[/url]
[/quote]

I tried :(

I typed on her laptop:

mklink /D "C:\Users\<herusername>\Dropbox\Saves" "C:\Users\<herusername>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves"

... and I get [i]"Cannot create a file when that file already exists."[/i]

Posted

[quote name='King Mustard' timestamp='1367091962' post='595661238']
Didn't you read above? I [i]am[/i] using Dropbox and since it's 7-8 GB (and Dropbox gives 2 GB), I need to use LAN sync and symbolic links, which I'm having trouble with. That's why I'm posting here.
[/quote]

I edited my post after I re-read it, hence why what's there now doesn't match your quoted text.

[quote name='xendrome' timestamp='1367091956' post='595661236']
Next time at least read the OP KTHX..

[/color]
[/quote]

As above... I edited after I re-read it. As a mod you should know better than to taunt. KTHXBAI

Posted

[quote name='spikey_richie' timestamp='1367092714' post='595661254']
I edited my post after I re-read it, hence why what's there now doesn't match your quoted text.
[/quote]

Oh yes, sorry :)
1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe try SyncToy from Microsoft although I don't remember if it can do bi-directional sync the "most updated files".

Posted

[sup]To do a bi-directional sync over the LAN, simply execute the following commands:[/sup]
[sup]xcopy /d c:\sourcedir [url="file://\target-pctargetdir"]\\target-pc\targetdir[/url][/sup]
[sup]then[/sup]
[sup]xcopy /d [url="file://\target-pctargetdir"]\\target-pc\targetdir[/url] c:\sourcedir[/sup]

[sup]Then both machines will have the most up to date files. You can throw in /e to include subfolders if necessary.[/sup]

Posted

seems like you need something similar to the old live mesh, cubby from logmein is supposed to be able to sync folders between computers.

Posted

"The folder is around 7-8 GB, so we'd need to use LAN sync."

Lan sync does not remove that its still up in the cloud - if you want to sync that much, then your going to need to get some more space.. Just send out some referrals.

I don't play sims - but I find it hard to fathom that your save is 7-8 GB?? Are you trying to syn multiple different saves for multiple players, etc.?

Once you have enough space to sync what you want to sync, if your having issues with creating the links - take a look at this [url="http://satyadeepk.in/dropbox-folder-sync/"]http://satyadeepk.in...ox-folder-sync/[/url]

BTW its quite easy to get that much space using dropbox referrals, and if you ever play the quests, etc. They are always giving away free space. Beta testing video/picture upload got like 3GB free, etc. I currently have

[attachment=332356:freedrop.jpg]

Posted

Cubby does pure lan sync

Posted

the new [url=http://labs.bittorrent.com/experiments/sync.html]Bittorrent Sync[/url] should do the job well, doesn't even need to be uploaded to the cloud. It's in Alpha though, so could well be some bugs.

Posted

You could try going through Steam? Steam has a feature where it uploads your game data to their cloud. If you add it to the Steam library it might sync it. Sorry i couldn't be more helpful.