what is iPhone "other" data in storage?

That's the best we got, huh? Restore the phone? Bummer.

Welcome to phones with no real file explorer... at least Windows CE had one of those...

Welcome to phones with no real file explorer... at least Windows CE had one of those...

Thanks for the troll post. That was helpful.

Text messages with pictures take up a lot of space. And also email cache will take up lots of space. Maybe even Safari and/or Chrome's cache. Clear out those things and see if you gain any space back.

You can also try this:

http://www.imobie.com/phoneclean/

Yea, I delete my texts/safari cache all the time. I'll look into email and the app you linked. thanks!

So that app only found 92mb of data "stuff".

I deleted both my email accounts and rebooted the phone.

I still have 3.5GB of more "other stuff." Any other ideas?

post-119755-0-54378500-1367440957.png

post-119755-0-47709000-1367440964.png

Doesn't "other" encompass app data as well? On your iPhone goto Settings -> General -> Usage and see if any of your apps is the culprit.

Its hard to get 3.5GB of cache from photos in text messages......... I suspect something else.

Thanks for the troll post. That was helpful.

You have to troll hard to become a "Veteran" around here :rolleyes: . Lol...

Making a backup in iTunes / Wiping the Phone / Restoring the Backup usually free's up the "other" space. I had to do it a few times when I owned an iPhone.

• 5 months later...

i was going though my sisters iphone 4s and she has/uses this app called pintrest? sucker had 9 gigs of info in iphone data

as a side note: if its other, most of it overwrites itself as its not needed, so it may show as "taken" but really is just empty but temporarily taken.

On Mac, I remember this being related to backups that are being done locally but that can't be accessed. I know of no such function for iPhone but I'd venture to guess its system data either from a software update or possibly data that didn't get flushed out from IOS6.

i was going though my sisters iphone 4s and she has/uses this app called pintrest? sucker had 9 gigs of info in iphone data

as a side note: if its other, most of it overwrites itself as its not needed, so it may show as "taken" but really is just empty but temporarily taken.

I've found that is not always necessarily the case :(.

Game saves, app data, non-exported media (For example, there are photo apps that does not export to the iphone photo library until you're done editing your pic, in that case that picture's size shows on the "other" cat, etc.

Game saves, app data, non-exported media (For example, there are photo apps that does not export to the iphone photo library until you're done editing your pic, in that case that picture's size shows on the "other" cat, etc.

Exactly. I have edited a few movies in iMovie and taken several photos in Camera+ and they fill up the 'Other' category I believe.