Photo

Buying My First Android Phone. Need Advice/Help

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 metallithrax

metallithrax

I saw you earlier, with the hairy stick....

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Sony Xperia U (android 4.0.4)

Posted 28 April 2013 - 19:25

Mine even lags during using music player, and everything is stock, no custom icons or themes or launchers.

I've not had problems with music or video, or even with games (Rubiks cube, Pro snooker, 3d bowling). Everything stock here too, although I have uninstalled the crap I wouldn't use.

#17 OP RichieC

RichieC

Neowinian

• Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 28 April 2013 - 19:27

Would the Xperia P be the right option? 4" screen and 1GB of RAM.

#18 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 19:34

I don't know why you'd carry an iPod Nano of all devices along with a phone. I can understand a DAP/PMP with better audio quality with higher capacity along with a phone, but not an iPod Nano. Anyways, I would recommend WP8 if that's what you're used to, don't let one repair experience get in the way of an OS. Most lower-end android phones just are garbage, and more frustrating than they're worth.

Don't knock Da Nano!!! I still carry 4th gen Nano on walks with me and in my car.

#19 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 April 2013 - 19:39

I know you don't want above 4".. I thought it was too big at first, but you get used to it and would never go back.

My advice is:

Get a google phone.. the vanilla android software is so much smoother/nicer/more updated than any variants
Get a nexus 4 - you won't regret it!

You'll also get the latest Jelly Bean which is super smooth

#20 metallithrax

metallithrax

Posted 28 April 2013 - 19:40

Would the Xperia P be the right option? 4" screen and 1GB of RAM.

Bigger screen, more RAM, same processors as the U. If the price isn't much different, then would probably be better value.

#21 OP RichieC

RichieC

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2013 - 19:43

I know you don't want above 4".. I thought it was too big at first, but you get used to it and would never go back.

My advice is:

Get a google phone.. the vanilla android software is so much smoother/nicer/more updated than any variants
Get a nexus 4 - you won't regret it!

You'll also get the latest Jelly Bean which is super smooth

I understand what youre saying but Ive tried larger phones and I hate them. A bit of a rant but 15 years ago people complained that phones were like bricks in their pockets, we get smart phones that were small and now we are back to making phones the size of house bricks, though they are a lot thinner they are still massive.

I just thought there be a android smartphone that ran 4.0 with 512MB smoothly for simple tasks. It seems like your telling me this isnt the case? If that's really true its pretty messed up that Android only runs smoothly on high end devices which is sad because I wanted to try android I just didnt want to fork out loads of money as I cant afford it.

#22 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: i9001-CM11-KitKat 4.4.4 - Kernel 3.4.102

Posted 28 April 2013 - 19:53

Avoid those low end Sony devices, they not only won't receive any more updates but their software is also terrible (lag in stock Sony apps). Just get a Galaxy SII (I9100) and update it to Jelly Bean 4.1.2, else you could get the Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy S Advance or the SIII Mini. i.e devices still in mainstream software support. The Xperia U, Sola and P won't even receive Android 4.2.2 so stay away from such things.

Never ever consider low end devices unless you want to be stuck with outdated software (ICS) on junk underpowered hardware with less than 400MB of usable RAM.

I just thought there be a android smartphone that ran 4.0 with 512MB smoothly for simple tasks.

Simple tasks? Those devices with Snapdragon S2 chips or even the ST-U8500 have around 360MB of RAM out of 512MB accessible to the system & apps, this is basically a tiny amount compared to what modern Apps use. At most you'll be able to run few Apps without them being closed down by the low memory killer, even the launcher will lag sometimes. Get something with 768MB-1GB of RAM.

#23 OP RichieC

RichieC

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2013 - 20:10

Avoid those low end Sony devices, they not only won't receive any more updates but their software is also terrible (lag in stock Sony apps). Just get a Galaxy SII (I9100) and update it to Jelly Bean 4.1.2, else you could get the Galaxy Ace 2, Galaxy S Advance or the SIII Mini. i.e devices still in mainstream software support. The Xperia U, Sola and P won't even receive Android 4.2.2 so stay away from such things.

Never ever consider low end devices unless you want to be stuck with outdated software (ICS) on junk underpowered hardware with less than 400MB of usable RAM.

Simple tasks? Those devices with Snapdragon S2 chips or even the ST-U8500 have around 360MB of RAM out of 512MB accessible to the system & apps, this is basically a tiny amount compared to what modern Apps use. At most you'll be able to run few Apps without them being closed down by the low memory killer, even the launcher will lag sometimes. Get something with 768MB-1GB of RAM.

I read that sonys software was meant to be alright. Guess I read wrong. I get your argument and I know they are different OS's but WP8 runs all the above apps I mentioned as smooth a butter on 512MB RAM. I just thought by now android would too. I guess I was wrong. Its making think should I stick with WP8 because by your argument 80% of android phones are piece of crap that have under powered specs that don't even allow you a smooth experience when doing a simple task like facebook (which is a pretty simple task for a smartphone). Im not to fussed about future updates if I am honest. I just wanted a phone that runs android 4.0 smoothly, to use simple apps on 512MB RAM with a screen size no bigger than 4". Because I wanted to try the OS. I guess what I've learned is that's impossible with android which is strange to me.

And on a side note to the other phones you mentioned like the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, while the specs meet my requirements I think they look horrible and the UI is just terrible. I like stoke android the most out of them all.

#24 metallithrax

metallithrax

Posted 28 April 2013 - 20:19

I read that sonys software was meant to be alright. Guess I read wrong. I get your argument and I know they are different OS's but WP8 runs all the above apps I mentioned as smooth a butter on 512MB RAM. I just thought by now android would too. I guess I was wrong. Its making think should I stick with WP8 because by your argument 80% of android phones are piece of crap that have under powered specs that don't even allow you a smooth experience when doing a simple task like facebook (which is a pretty simple task for a smartphone). Im not to fussed about future updates if I am honest. I just wanted a phone that runs android 4.0 smoothly, to use simple apps on 512MB RAM with a screen size no bigger than 4". Because I wanted to try the OS. I guess what I've learned is that's impossible with android which is strange to me.

And on a side note to the other phones you mentioned like the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, while the specs meet my requirements I think they look horrible and the UI is just terrible. I like stoke android the most out of them all.

You haven't learned anything, you have been told both sides of the story - with one side saying don't do it, the other saying it works fine.

I say you should go to your nearest phone shop and try different phones out to see which one you want.

#25 OP RichieC

RichieC

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2013 - 20:39

You haven't learned anything, you have been told both sides of the story - with one side saying don't do it, the other saying it works fine.

I say you should go to your nearest phone shop and try different phones out to see which one you want.

I've learned a fair bit actually about Android and its capabilities.I am going to go to my local phone shops and try the Xperia U, Sola and P to see how they handle.

Thank you every one for you views and advice :-)

#26 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: i9001-CM11-KitKat 4.4.4 - Kernel 3.4.102

Posted 28 April 2013 - 20:46

I read that sonys software was meant to be alright. Guess I read wrong. I get your argument and I know they are different OS's but WP8 runs all the above apps I mentioned as smooth a butter on 512MB RAM. I just thought by now android would too. I guess I was wrong. Its making think should I stick with WP8

Actually no, WP8 devices with 512MB of RAM will not run any modern apps which require quite a lot of memory, that includes new games from Gameloft (e.g MC4) or even things like Temple Run.

Im not to fussed about future updates if I am honest. I just wanted a phone that runs android 4.0 smoothly, to use simple apps on 512MB RAM with a screen size no bigger than 4". Because I wanted to try the OS. I guess what I've learned is that's impossible with android which is strange to me.

Android 4.0 ICS is also not that smooth compared to Jelly Bean with Project Butter (vsync & triple buffering) which results in an overall smoother feel across the user interface. The fact is that most cheap Android devices are considered budget smartphones which will deliver acceptable performance in most basic tasks, they were not designed to even run modern versions of Android (512MB is a terrible amount).

piece of crap that have under powered specs that don't even allow you a smooth experience when doing a simple task like facebook (which is a pretty simple task for a smartphone).

The official FB App for Android is bloated to death, it uses 50MB+ of RAM and will slow down any phone with 512MB of RAM.

You can always install another launcher like Holo

Rule of thumb: Get something decent if you're willing to enter the Android ecosystem. ;)

#27 OP RichieC

RichieC

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2013 - 20:51

Actually no, WP8 devices with 512MB of RAM will not run any modern apps which require quite a lot of memory, that includes new games from Gameloft (e.g MC4) or even things like Temple Run.

Android 4.0 ICS is also not that smooth compared to Jelly Bean with Project Butter (vsync & triple buffering) which results in an overall smoother feel across the user interface. The fact is that most cheap Android devices are considered budget smartphones which will deliver acceptable performance in most basic tasks, they were not designed to even run modern versions of Android (512MB is a terrible amount).

The official FB App for Android is bloated to death, it uses 50MB+ of RAM and will slow down any phone with 512MB of RAM.

You can always install another launcher like Holo

Rule of thumb: Get something decent if you're willing to enter the Android ecosystem. ;)

Thanks for the info. In regards to games I don't care for them so that doesn't really bother me. I think I will try the Xperia P which has 1GB RAM and is expected to get updated to JB which you say runs smoother. Also that phone has a 4" screen which is great for me. I just hope there is a store that stocks it in the UK for me to try it out. I will have a look at other phones that meet the specs you mentioned. I really like that launcher you linked too.

#28 ashpowell

ashpowell

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 28 April 2013 - 20:59

512mb probably isn't enough, I loved my Galaxy S.. it ran fast, but it would eventually start to slow down after time.

If it doesn't come with JellyBean, you can still install the rom yourself, it's really quite simple. Custom roms are also great for keeping upto date with the latest android, Cyanogenmod is a popular one.

#29 OP RichieC

RichieC

Neowinian

Posted 30 April 2013 - 18:44

So Ive been looking and think Ill go for the Xperia P. It has a 4" screen, comes with 1GB RAM and has just got the Jelly Bean update. I think I may have a winner. All the videos on youtube seem to show it running smoothly.

#30 MidnightDevil

MidnightDevil

Resident Evil

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:41

You always have the alternative of rooting it and shove a custom firmware on it, if you decide to go that way tho :)
Why not HTC? They have lot's of pleasing designs, I own a HTC Sensation XE and I'm pretty happy with it, aside the fact HTC won't update it to JB.
It has 768mb of RAM, 4mb of internal ROM, the adreno 220 graphics driver seems to handle most games that I play pretty good.