Reducing Windows 8 footprint

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Prosidius

Prosidius

Geek.

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 28 April 2013 - 15:22

Attached is a screenshot of the available free space on my SSD and what is taking up that space. Anyone know how I can reduce the footprint of Windows 8 so I have more space freed up?

windows8.png

#2 darth_vader

darth_vader

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2013 - 15:32

Delete all files from "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download", I always do that and no harm is done, it's where windows downloads updates (setup files).

You can also reduce hibernation file, run cmd as admin and type "powercfg –h –size 50%", or disable it completely if you don't use it "powercfg –h off".

#3 OP Prosidius

Prosidius

Geek.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 15:41

Delete all files from "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download", I always do that and no harm is done, it's where windows downloads updates (setup files).

You can also reduce hibernation file, run cmd as admin and type "powercfg –h –size 50%", or disable it completely if you don't use it "powercfg –h off".

Thanks for the suggestion about the software distribution download folder. I already did reduce the hibernation file, it used to like 12GB before. :p

#4 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 28 April 2013 - 15:58

Did you disable the paging file? With an SSD, the paging file is a waste of space.

#5 darth_vader

darth_vader

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2013 - 15:59

You're welcome.

I also remove msocache, intel, amd/nvidia folders from system root and periodically empty "C:\Users\"name"\AppData\Local\Temp" and "C:\Windows\Temp" folders.

#6 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 April 2013 - 16:02

I am not sure if you have done this already, but try Disk Cleanup to get rid of anything left over from a Windows 8 upgrade process, or installation temporary files, and all those system related files you do not need.

I think when I did the Windows 8 upgrade, I was able to clean out 15-20GB from Disk Cleanup.

#7 Klownicle

Klownicle

I get a custom title? Sweett.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 16:04

pagefile and hiber are the biggest offenders in any windows os.

#8 OP Prosidius

Prosidius

Geek.

Posted 28 April 2013 - 17:02

Did you disable the paging file? With an SSD, the paging file is a waste of space.

I moved the paging file to my hard drive.

#9 ShareShiz

ShareShiz

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2013 - 17:17

Dump downloads.

Move user files from "Library" to your HDD.

That should clear up about 5-6gbs.

.... and do as others suggested.

#10 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 28 April 2013 - 17:33

I'm not sure I follow you there. The paging file is to swap things to and from ram. If you have enough ram ok fine, disable it. However, an SSD alone is not a reason to disable it.

Maybe you meant indexing?

#11 lars77

lars77

Neowinian

Posted 28 April 2013 - 19:26

I'm not sure I follow you there. The paging file is to swap things to and from ram. If you have enough ram ok fine, disable it. However, an SSD alone is not a reason to disable it.

Correct.

I'd argue to leave the page file on the SSD, why page data from your super-fast RAM into your slower hard drive? Sounds like a performance hit.

You should probably leave the page file enabled IMO.

#12 Pam14160

Pam14160

Lee

Posted 28 April 2013 - 19:55

Correct.

I'd argue to leave the page file on the SSD, why page data from your super-fast RAM into your slower hard drive? Sounds like a performance hit.

This. . .

#13 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 28 April 2013 - 20:39

Did you right click on C:/ -> Properties -> Disk Cleanup -> Cleanup System Files

Edited by _Alexander, 28 April 2013 - 20:40.

#14 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 28 April 2013 - 21:47

create a new shortcut that goes to "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535" and run it as administrator. it's a more comprehensive version of disk cleanup. but don't check the Windows ESD Files - that's the refresh windows files.

#15 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 29 April 2013 - 13:42

Correct.

That's not how it works...
Even if you turn the paging file off, Windows will allocate temporary space if it's needed.
The OP's sig says he has 12GB of RAM, so more than likely, Windows created a ~6GB paging file, which is basically wasted space.
On a regular HDD, disabling the paging file may cause your system to hang if Windows tries to allocate space, due to the long access times of HDDs. That problem doesn't exist on a SSD, so disabling it does nothing except save space.

I've disabled the paging file on all my PCs for years and years and never had a single problem.
The OP asked on how to save some space, and this is the simplest way to gain back a large chunk.