"Intelligent Highlighting"

If there's one thing about Windows that gets my blood boiling, it's the "intelligent highlighting" that it does. You know, where you go to highlight text, and the OS goes off and selects extra characters automatically around the text you highlighted, thinking you wanted it highlighted as well.

Is there a way to turn this crap off? I really want to select the text that I need without the OS running off and selecting extra characters that I don't want highlighted. I'm tired of fighting the OS over what text I want highlighted at any given time.

I just highlighted from part of a word to part of a word in your post in Firefox. I copied it into Notepad and highlighted part of a word to part of a word.

Microsoft Word does select whole words automatically.

I'm pretty sure this is app-specific behavior.

Edit: To fix this in Microsoft Word, go to Options -> Advanced -> When selecting automatically select entire word

This is actually occurring in IE. Might have to take a peek in the options here. Thanks.

In Internet Explorer you can press F7 to enable "caret browsing", which gives you a text selection keyboard cursor that makes it slightly less of a hassle (depending on how you work, of course) selecting the exact text you want.

Who are you and what did you do the real Dot Matrix? :p