New York Jets release Tim Tebow

Jets release Tim Tebow

One year after bringing Tim Tebow to Broadway, creating a nationwide fascination that slowly evolved into a salacious controversy, the New York Jets made the long-anticipated move Monday of releasing one of the NFL's most popular players.

The Jets confirmed the release in a three-paragraph news release, a long way from his Super Bowl-sized news conference last March.

"We have a great deal of respect for Tim Tebow," coach Rex Ryan said. "Unfortunately, things did not work out the way we all had hoped. Tim is an extremely hard worker, evident by the shape he came back in this offseason. We wish him the best moving forward."

Ryan and general manager John Idzik informed Tebow early Monday morning in a face-to-face meeting at the team's facility, before he worked out with teammates, a source said. Tebow left the building shortly thereafter.

Tebow was dressed in his workout clothes Monday when he was called to Idzik's office, according to league sources.

So ends one of the strangest chapters in team history -- maybe in league history.

Tebow received rock-star media coverage from the moment he arrived. His introductory news conference last March drew more than 200 media members, highly unusual for a backup quarterback. The Jets were criticized for the excess.

After using a second-round pick on Geno Smith, the Jets had six quarterbacks on the roster and someone had to go. The Jets tried for months to trade Tebow, sources said. His release was earlier reported by the New York Post.

The team's plan always was to take no more than five quarterbacks into their organized team activities. When no other team offered even a seventh-round draft pick for Tebow by the conclusion of the NFL draft on Saturday, the decision was imminent, sources said.

Tebow attended the first two weeks of the offseason program. In fact, he reported 12 pounds under his 2012 playing weight. Despite vague comments by team officials, they never had any intention of retaining him.

The Tebow trade never came close to living up to the hype, as Tebow played in only 77 offensive snaps. It became apparent late in the season that he'd be one-and-done in New York.

The final Tebow bill: It cost the Jets a fourth-round pick and $1.5 million in salary, plus another $2.5 million they had to pay the Denver Broncos to satisfy part of the trade agreement.

The ill-fated trade also contributed to the demise of general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who was fired after the 6-10 season.

"It's just a trade that didn't work out," Tannenbaum told ESPNNewYork.com after the season. "Each year, we'll make 200-plus transactions. Some worked out, some didn't."

The Jets will have an open competition at quarterback, but without Tebow, who became expendable when the Jets signed David Garrard and drafted Smith.

Many figured he'd wind up playing for his hometown team, the Jacksonville Jaguars, but the new GM, Dave Caldwell, shut down that idea at his first news conference in January.

Tebow could help his chances by agreeing to switch positions, several league executives said, but he wants to remain a quarterback.

He recently spent time at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., honing his oft-criticized mechanics with former NFL quarterback-turned-instructor Chris Weinke. He also worked out in the Tampa area with former Jets quarterback Vinny Testaverde.

Known for his eternal optimism, Tebow has refused to bash his New York experience.

"I felt like it was a learning opportunity for me," he said at the end of the season, reflecting on the year that wasn't. "There was a lot that I'll take from it. There's a lot that I learned and there are lot of relationships that I've built, so I know that it happened for a reason."

His brief stay was surreal at times, never lacking for drama.

Tannenbaum predicted Tebow would be a "dynamic weapon" in the Wildcat offense, but the Tebow package never became a staple in the offense. Coordinator Tony Sparano never found a way to use him, and their relationship became strained, sources said.

The low point came late in the season, when Rex Ryan benched Mark Sanchez and elevated third-stringer Greg McElroy to the starting job, infuriating Tebow. He expressed his displeasure in a meeting with Ryan and was replaced in the Wildcat, with sources telling ESPNNewYork.com that Tebow asked out.

Tebow, who led the Broncos to a playoff win only one year earlier, finished with modest numbers: Eight pass attempts, six completions, 32 rushes for 102 yards and no touchdowns.

And countless headlines in the New York tabloids.

Source: ESPN

Lol so this is what happens when a mediocre player at best blows up to rock star status only because of his religiousness and not because he's a good player. I saw this coming from a mile away. He's nothing more than a publicity stunt and ticket seller to any team.

Huge Tebow and Broncos fan here and I am sad that he was just tossed in the trash when he went to the Jets. He's talented and he proved that in Denver, he got favored of the POS Sanchez atleast Tebow don't run in to his own lineman's ass and fumble the ball. Tebow needs a team that is willing to use his strengths and build upon them and I think he will be a great quarterback. I wish the best for him and I hope this is not the last we hear of him. Sanchez and Romo are the worst quarterbacks in the game and I am at a loss as to why they are still playing.

Tebow...often credited for stuff he didnt do. Seemed like every game that was one, Tebow was always credited for. He is a good player, but not as great as he was made out to be. I remember watching games where he didnt do jack, they one, and at the end the announcers said Tebow lead the team to victory. Please. He still has a chance to be a great QB, but I wouldnt call him that yet. For now, he is just remembered mainly for his victory pose.

He might not even get a chance to play QB again as he's just not good. Romo might make a lot of mistakes but he can at least throw a football. The only reason he won games in Denver was the defense. His stats were awful but the media crowned him for what ever reason.

Better switch to TE or he might be out of the league very soon.

^ this.

The guy is simply not an NFL caliber QB at this time. He should go to the CFL and hone his skills for a few years. Better yet, he should change positions.

Make no mistake, a lot of the hype over Tebow was because of his religious beliefs. He was never a great passer, even in college, and since the NFL is a passing league, he was bound to fail.

To be brutally honest he's an awful passing quarterback. He has his strengths but he won't make it as a starting caliber quarterback. When he was playing with the Broncos people seem to overlook the fact the their defense was the only reason they were winning those games. This is turning into a passing league and he doesn't have the skillset to keep up. He's got a great build to be a TE and that's what he should look at converting to if he can make the transition.

Also Romo is hardly the worst quarterback in the league, I'm assuming that you just hate the Cowboys? Fair enough but making ridiculous statements like that doesn't makes it seem like you don't know what you're talking about in the slightest. Sanchez is another story, and he greatly benefited from being on a team with a great running game and one of the league's top defenses at the time they made their run to back to back AFC Championship games.

I agree. I hope he goes somewhere where they can use his talents.

I wasn't his biggest fan but he did pretty good given the circumstances at Denver, he probably would still be there if the Colts had held on to Manning but they didn't. I had a feeling the Jet's were going to screw Tebow over simply because they barely gave him any playing time and they kept giving Sanchez chance after chance after chance...I know Tebow wants to be QB pretty bad but he needs to play his strengths and if that means becoming a TE i'd rather do that than not have a career in the NFL at all because i was too stubborn to change positions.

...I know Tebow wants to be QB pretty bad but he needs to play his strengths and if that means becoming a TE i'd rather do that than not have a career in the NFL at all because i was too stubborn to change positions.

I agree. He doesn't fit the norm of your normal pass happy NHL sideshow quarterback the League has turned into today. He should consider another position and hope for the best.

^ this.

The guy is simply not an NFL caliber QB at this time. He should go to the CFL and hone his skills for a few years. Better yet, he should change positions.

The problem is right now he'll be number 2 for at least a year or maybe even two in the CFL. His rights are owned by Montreal and Calvillo will be back until the end of the 2014 season and i don't see Tebow stealing the 1st qb role to him.