40 replies to this topic

#16 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,554 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 29 April 2013 - 14:00

Steam is bloatware now? When did that happen?

An unnecessary service that needs to be running at all times to launch the game exe that sounds like bloatware to me. No different than the toolbars that are installed with freeware.

Oh shut up. Just install the store app and forget about it. Is it that hard for you lot?! What does it take, 100 megs of disk space out of you 256GB SSD? 50 megs of ram out of your 8GB? The benefits of centralized game store like steam and gfw far outweigh your bloatware concerns.

Benefits what benefits ? Apart from installing a completely unnecessary service on the computer, Messing with its firewall rules and flat out refusing to work on secure networks there are no benefits that I can see.

#17 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,223 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 14:02

Oh shut up. Just install the store app and forget about it. Is it that hard for you lot?! What does it take, 100 megs of disk space out of you 256GB SSD? 50 megs of ram out of your 8GB? The benefits of centralized game store like steam and gfw far outweigh your bloatware concerns.

I agree except on the gfwl part. I don't hate gfwl, but it isn't good.

#18 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• 11,378 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 29 April 2013 - 14:10

Hrmm on the one hand that is kind of creative and gave them publicity they otherwise would not have gotten, on the other hand the 'pc gamers are all pirates' crap is old and this just makes me not want to buy or play their stuff anyway.

On to the other sid eof the coin, whilst I wouldnt go as far to say steam is bloatware and I have installed them on occasion to play certain games, personally it ****s me, I don't want your steam and origin on my system, call me old fashioned but I just prefer installing the game and getting on with things. Actually you know what, they should have released the game on steam for $5 and charged $10 to buy it and install directly. Would have gotten them publicity and my business.

#19 georgevella

georgevella

Software Developer

• 1,097 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 14:17

Benefits what benefits ? Apart from installing a completely unnecessary service on the computer, Messing with its firewall rules and flat out refusing to work on secure networks there are no benefits that I can see.

The primary benefit I see is the instant availability of games - no scratchable media, no waiting on deliveries, download and you're ready to go. I don't see it as bloatware because I do see it's use. The problems you mentioned seem specific to your use case so really it's not an argument on bloatware but actually an issue with your "secure" environment.

#20 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,554 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 29 April 2013 - 14:29

Gee and here I was thinking that there was something called a file server secured by TLS that could achieve all the above.

#21 Tha Bloo Monkee

Tha Bloo Monkee

Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die

• 4,109 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 16:11

Anonymous user data gathered from both the real and "cracked" version of the game show that well over 90 percent of Game Dev Tycoon players have decided to get the "cracked" version. Greenheart Games states in their blog:

This is assuming that these 90% of players would actually purchase the game in the first place.
Not to mention the internet is now probably full of real cracks that don't suffer from this form of copy-protection. The one they released is not cracked at all.

#22 suprNOVA

suprNOVA

devSquad

• 841 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note III

Posted 29 April 2013 - 16:35

im confused. why can't these guys build/inject a proper DRM that will save their work and deter pirating?

#23 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,706 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 16:45

The primary benefit I see is the instant availability of games - no scratchable media, no waiting on deliveries, download and you're ready to go. I don't see it as bloatware because I do see it's use. The problems you mentioned seem specific to your use case so really it's not an argument on bloatware but actually an issue with your "secure" environment.

Not to mention that it provides a restorable backup of every game you register via the service - simply sign-on and re-download. (That is equally applicable to Steam and Origin, and it was applicable to GfWL - that is a true time-saver and labor-saver if you are doing multiple computer upgrades that require a reinstall. Who wants to do the DVD Shuffle to backup - and restore - the gaming library?)

im confused. why can't these guys build/inject a proper DRM that will save their work and deter pirating?

Simple - nobody has come up with one. (And I mean NOBODY - including Valve with SteamWorks.)

#24 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,357 posts
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 29 April 2013 - 20:02

I think this is quite hilarious, props to them.

#25 Athernar

Athernar

?

• 2,984 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 20:08

Gee and here I was thinking that there was something called a file server secured by TLS that could achieve all the above.

Sounds more like a paranoid waste of time and money to me.

#26 Cyberkiller

Cyberkiller

Gawd.

• 313 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 20:10

I played this game on my phone years ago, don't think these guys are the same devs, so they basically stole the idea from another game anyway and it visually looks pretty much the same.

https://play.google....developer story

#27 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,897 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 20:11

i love when game developers do stuff like this. I also remember in the past other developers would make the game much more difficult if someone pirated it or other funny things.

Yeah, same here. This "Piracy doesn't harm anyone" nonsense is getting really old.

Good for them and I hope the pirates are sufficiently frustrated by this. lol

#28 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,509 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 29 April 2013 - 20:13

An unnecessary service that needs to be running at all times to launch the game exe that sounds like bloatware to me. No different than the toolbars that are installed with freeware.

Bloatware is software that adds features but does not add value. Steam is not such a product, and it's not required so your "unnecessary" argument is moot. I think you should take your head out of your ass.

#29 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 20:23

Hilarious stuff! :laugh:

Good on them.

#30 -Deleted-

-Deleted-

Neowinian

• 204 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 20:39

Yeah, same here. This "Piracy doesn't harm anyone" nonsense is getting really old.

Good for them and I hope the pirates are sufficiently frustrated by this. lol

It's not about harming anyone..It's about convience...Here's an example.

I legally buy Batman on bluray for £15 lets say. Here is the list of what happens -
.Put scratchable media into player
.Wait for said media to load.
.Watch 15 minutes of how piracy is killing the inductry.
.Navigate sometimes stupidly long menus
.Sit and watch the film

Now lets look if i illegally downloaded said film.
.1080p same quality.
.Double click the file FILM STARTS

Like I've always said whether it's games or Films or even music...The current system isn't working and never will, it's the paying customer who gets bent over and the pirates who get all the content with zero hassle.

Another example was at the cinemas the other day, I went to see Olympus Has Fallen(good film btw), Film "starts" at 9:10pm.....9:40pm was when the actual film started...I had paid £8 to watch a film and had to sit through 30 minutes of adverts/anti piracy and other films trailers just before i got what i paid for.