game dev tycoon gaming greenheart games

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Luc2k

Luc2k

Neowinian

• 914 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 20:52

The primary benefit I see is the instant availability of games - no scratchable media, no waiting on deliveries, download and you're ready to go. I don't see it as bloatware because I do see it's use. The problems you mentioned seem specific to your use case so really it's not an argument on bloatware but actually an issue with your "secure" environment.

GoG has just a downloader that does exactly what you mentioned, but unlike Steam, once you finished downloading the game, you are done with it. Hell, if you want, you can even bypass the downloader. So yes, it is bloatware, and DRM.

#32 protocol7

protocol7

It's Fumbles. It was always Fumbles.

• 2,399 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 22:21

I like the idea but I don't think they're being entirely honest:

Posted Image

#33 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

• 997 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 22:34

Yeah, The game don't look like it has huge crypto-functions, VMs, or any strange hootininny that would prevent a real 'pirate' from fixing this small detail. If anything they ****ed off 3000 people who would likely buy the game or pirates who will crack everything out of it for spite. IMO they should have had those things start to take effect after a set timeframe of install (48hr, week, etc)

#34 spoetnik

spoetnik

Neowinian

• 228 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:12

http://www.techdirt....-torrents.shtml
Game Developer Connects With Pirates, Sees Massive Support & Deletion Of Torrents

from the how-it's-done dept

One of the long-running themes here at Techdirt has been our insistence that the best way to combat any negative effects of piracy is for content creators to connect with fans, buyers, and pirates alike. If you treat people in a congenial, awesome way, the goodwill you garner will not only make up for any piracy negatives, but can actually propel your work to further success. Unfortunately, too few people seem to avoid the understandable but unproductive emotional response that comes with having your work show up on sites like The Pirate Bay. The vast majority of responses are vitriolic. Nevermind that some creators, such as when Hotline Miami's developers decided to embrace pirates, have experienced the boon of goodwill and sales as a result. No, anger and threats of legal action tend to rule the day.

A shame people don't understand Piracy and all too often confuse it with File-Sharing
It's the equivelent of misinformed people thinking copying is the same as stealing.

I have no respect nor any money for companies / people that try and trick others like this story purely for the sake of perpetuating propaganda.
File-Sharing (the correct term) has nothing to with piracy that is a seperate issue. Those involved buy a lot and we are a large amount of revenue this is proven.
I buy what i pirate and i pirate what i buy, in other words i use no cd/dvd cracks on ones i buy etc and i only buy games i play.
Just because crack is sold on the street corner doesn't mean its an epidemic and everyone is doing it.

I advise people to get educated and one place i like that focuses on this issue is Torrentfreek

#35 +CrossCheck

CrossCheck

i am a retarded disfigured clown

• 683 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:44

i remember when bohemian interactive had a copy protecton on operation flashpoint:cold war crises that would cause it to fade over time to where it was unplayable if it was pirated. genius i tell ya, genius!!!!!

#36 spoetnik

spoetnik

Neowinian

• 228 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:11

http://cohpatch.relic.com/
Notice that page has torrent downloads too.
the only difference is one company is calling you a thief and the other is not.

I guess according to their logic i can hold my hand out and offer you something and ALL people that take it are officialy thieves stealing from me.
yeah nice logic there lol

I have seen many developers upload their own content such as games, applications, movies and music to TPB
and when developers like this pull stunts it just makes them look bad not the other people using the distribution medium to their advantage.

#37 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 10,724 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:19

Cool, where can I get a hacked version of th... oh wait

#38 Raa

Raa

Resident something-or-rather

• 11,817 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:23

i remember when bohemian interactive had a copy protecton on operation flashpoint:cold war crises that would cause it to fade over time to where it was unplayable if it was pirated. genius i tell ya, genius!!!!!

They simply blocked certain keys from working, that's all...

#39 +Dermot

Dermot

Gamer

• 269 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 15:17

These are hard times and game prices are just horrendous and they don't seem to be going down aty any rate, specially on Steam unless they "Flash sale".

Take Black Ops II for example, came out last Novemeber and it's still Full Price to buy on Steam at 59,99€ and DLC at 49,99€, That is 109.98€ or $143.75 just to enjoy one game that is not the best game if i'm honest. These games are getting easier and cheaper to make and the prices keep rising regardless and gamers just can't afford to run out and spend these extreme prices everytime a new verson of a game comes out, so i see why they would pirate a game and can understand why pirates would crack these game sout of spite.

Companies like EA or ubisoft are just greedy corporations now and want to squeeze every last penny out of gamers with micro transactions and pay to play online requirements, or making games that well off that can pay to win on mmo's or other open world games. You look back at how game cartidges cost a lot to manufacture for developers\publishers and how easy and cheap it is to do now in modern day cd/dvd pressing and wonder how these cheaper manufacturing costs wouldn't reduce game costs not higher them up, and how direct to download games are still costing full price (if not more) with no psyical media?

I see these as just some of the reasons why pirates do what they do.

#40 Silpheed2K

Silpheed2K

Neowinian

• 299 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:16

Theft implies depriving someone of their property. Truth is copyright was invented when copying was the exception in society. Now we live in a society where we copy everything and share information about everything. (which is copying)
I don't think it's theft. I also dont think DRM is nice either. Steam wont let you play your games unless you're online. Offline most doesn't work most of the time and when it does, it will kick you off after a week as passed. (speaking from experience, and their is a time limit to offline mode)
Everybody mentioning convenience forgot to mention the part about your account getting banned, or having games removed from your account, both which will cause you to lose access to your legally purchased product and keeps you in a bind unless you have the lawyers to fight it. (it's actually still a legal grey area that hasn't been tested in courts)

Either way, dont support these DRM practices. Nobody wins. You get screwed as a customer and the company still gets their game pirated to hell.

Posted Image

#41 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• 20,290 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:44

Now lets look if i illegally downloaded said film.
.1080p same quality.

Ugh. Just because it is 1080 does NOT make it the same quality. Unless you download the full BD there is significant quality degradation. Both downloaded movies and tv shows have this. Easy to spot in areas in shadows, you have huge color mpeg encoding blocks instead of proper nice gradients, and often certain movements tend to make elements in the picture appear to "float" separately.

Not to mention that it provides a restorable backup of every game you register via the service - simply sign-on and re-download. (That is equally applicable to Steam and Origin, and it was applicable to GfWL - that is a true time-saver and labor-saver if you are doing multiple computer upgrades that require a reinstall. Who wants to do the DVD Shuffle to backup - and restore - the gaming library?)

GoG provides the same, doesn't have DRM and doesn't require services to be running in the background.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!