Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frank B.

bb10 BlackBerry Q10 selling at rate of

12 posts in this topic

BlackBerry Q10 selling at rate of ?thousands per hour? in UK

Keyboard-equipped phone to hit US in May for $50 more than an iPhone

We've spent our time with BlackBerry's retro-keyboarded Q10 handset and found it to be a well-built, decent smartphone with limited appeal because of its small screen and physical keyboard. Now the general public in the UK is beginning to weigh in with its opinions on the phone, as UK retailer Selfridges has begun selling the Q10. So far, the phones are flying off shelves at a brisk pace.

Selfridges, itself owned by UK cellular retailer Carphone Warehouse, said in a statement that the Q10 is its "fastest-selling consumer electronics product ever," and that it sold its entire stock in two hours. BlackBerry itself is mum on the exact number of phones that have been moved, but The Guardian quotes several sources as saying that the Q10's launch is wildly successful; one Selfridges manager saying that the launch was "leagues beyond" any previous product launch, including BlackBerry's more conventional keyboardless Z10.

BlackBerry's UK managing director, Rob Orr, sees a lot of BlackBerry's success as dependent on the Q10. In an interview with the International Business Times, Orr noted that the Q10's expected class of buyers includes "CIOs, CEOs, senior leaders in government, celebrities." The biggest buyers at Selfridges, though, appear to be those with resale on their minds; the Guardian reports that there was an entirely separate purchasing line for customers buying in "bulk," and that some customers were buying as many as 30 handsets at once, with the intent of reselling or exporting them outside of the UK before they're generally available.

Eager keyboard fans on our side of the pond won't have to wait much longer; according to statements from BlackBerry, Canadian retailers will have the phone available on May 1, and the handset will show up in US stores by the end of May. The Q10 is expected to cost $249 in the US with a two-year contract. This is $50 more than you'd pay for a new iPhone 5, and $150 more than BlackBerry's other new handset, the Z10, which can be had for as little as $99.

Source: Ars Technica

never heard that one before :rolleyes: wasn't the same thing said about the z10?

I just have a really hard time believing this. Fastest selling consumer device...a Blackberry...in 2013? Just no.

I hope it's true, the more competitors the bigger need for innovation from all parties.

I have to admit though I find it hard to believe, coming from a blackberry bold (8900 i think) to Nexus 4 and looking at that phone - I couldn't imagine going to such a small screen now and I don't miss the keyboard half as much as I thought I would.

Wouldnt doubt it...people like physical KBs. However, kinda funny they didnt release exact/close to exact numbers.

never heard that one before :rolleyes: wasn't the same thing said about the z10?

Agreed. If the Z10 is anything to go by the numbers will look pretty dire in a few weeks' time.

Agreed. If the Z10 is anything to go by the numbers will look pretty dire in a few weeks' time.

Hoping for a company to fail is pathetic. Especially one that actually reported a profit last quarter unlike some other patent trolling phone maker you love so much.

Hoping for a company to fail is pathetic. Especially one that actually reported a profit last quarter unlike some other patent trolling phone maker you love so much.

That's odd. I don't see anything in Jakem's post that says he hopes BB fails. You sure you're reading the right post? :p

Hoping for a company to fail is pathetic.

He isnt. Making a prediction on what may happen.

Not surprised that it is has a lot of sales given that there is still a sizeable number of people, young and old, who prefer a physical keyboard over having a large touch screen. IMHO RIM definitely did the right thing offering two form factors. IMHO I doubt they'll win me over but I could see my old man having one and definitely the current work place given the robustness of RIM devices.

Where did I say that I hoped they fail? Seems like you need to take anger management classes :laugh:

Having had the Z10 since launch I would say that they need to seriously work on the OS before putting out the next phone. There has been only 1 OS update since release and my phone restarts itself at least twice a day. Granted the new restart time is drastically shorter than previous blackberries it is just annoying when browsing the web when suddenly it'll get locked up and restart. Also the keyboard is terrible. It does NOT learn and nowhere as good as Swiftkey is on Android which I also owned. The Message center or whatever they call it can be done in any other OS with a quick skin or app so there is really nothing revolutionary about this product. Even setting up the server has its quirks and you need a pretty premium server to run on where as the previous server ran on barebones hardware. Unless they start ramping up the software development I see all this crashing into a wall by this time next year.

Also I have been to many of their 'shows' or developers conferences and what they need to do is hire media personnel. Just because someone is an executive does not automatically mean that they are good with crowds or a camera. The amount of open button chest hair executives that do these conferences astound me. They look sloppy, unprofessional and that will translate to what they are trying to sell. I may be nitpicking but seriously if these guys were really serious about turning everything around they would at least think about perception. .