BeagleBone Black - A Faster Raspberry Pi

BeagleBone Black flies faster than the speed of Pi for just $45

Developers, makers, and hobbyists looking for a beefier alternative to Gizmag favorite the Raspberry Pi will be delighted to learn that BeagleBoard.org has taken the wraps off a 1 GHz ARM-based board named the BeagleBone Black. Though it may look like a slightly more expensive outlay, its manufacturer says that by providing everything needed for display, keyboard and network connectivity right out of the box, the Black provides "a lower total cost of ownership than the nearest competitor."

Read More

Is it just me or does it look really ugly??

Is it suppose to look pretty or what? It's designed to be put inside an enclosure that is appropriately sized for your DIY project.... not to win beauty contests.

Haven't jumped on the Pi bandwagon yet but a lot of the stuff looks promising. I tend to default to Arduino for my DIY projects because I already have time invested in learning AVR and Arduino. Some of the features of Pi and the clones of Pi look very appearling to me, especially the integrated ethernet ports. The ethernet port shield for Arduino seems overpriced when you consider the fact that you can have a Pi with an ethernet port and tons of application memory that is appropriate for ethernet applications (like a web server).

I think it is better looking than the Raspberry Pi, and i like that most of the stuff is included. Might pick one up and compare it to the Raspberry PI

I think they should be sued for using rounded corners.

Other than that, dark PCBs are awesome. Brown not so much as totally black where even traces are hard to see, but certainly much better than RPi standard green or any other bright ones.

Im not buying any of these hobby soc pc's until a multi core full HD model is released. I have even resisted the RPi this long! :o

Im not buying any of these hobby soc pc's until a multi core full HD model is released. I have even resisted the RPi this long! :o

Exactly, if someone makes one with a Tegra4 in with 2gb+ ram 4xusb3 ports, full size hdmi port, 802.11n etc then they will sell well if they ship with ubuntu.

"from Texas Instruments, including a 3D graphics accelerator."

I call bull****, un-named 3D graphics processor means NO open source or X-accellerated graphics drivers available, what we have here is probably worse than the RPi in terms of any kind of graphics, at least broadcom open sourced some of the display driver and someone/some people made mods from it.