Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Italians see pizza makers as humiliating?

52 posts in this topic

Posted

Well. I get all my pizza at Little Ceasers, or Desorino. Guy at LC that always makes my pizza is Mexican, in fact no one that works there is any other race. But I don't care. He does his job, makes my pizza correctly and is always on time.

Posted

All manual labor these days is looked down upon. Everyone wants to belong to the yuppie class or manageratti.

3 people like this

Posted

My first job was working at a pizza place. It only a beginner job as it pays crap even for delivery.

Posted

Restaurant job != Manual labor, in my book. These people need to quit complaining.

Posted

Restaurant job != Manual labor, in my book. These people need to quit complaining.

I have to agree. It's not even close.

Posted

I bet the "Crappiest" pizza in Rome is still better than some of the best Pizza in the USA

2 people like this

Posted

I was just reading this article...

http://www.nbcnews.c...italy-6C9644965

and of course this stands out

"The Italian mindset is that being a pizza-maker is humiliating. It is a manual labor job,

Posted

I bet the "Crappiest" pizza in Rome is still better than some of the best Pizza in the USA

I have to wholeheartedly disagree. Pizza may have been "invented" in Naples (Italy), but there are places in the US (NYC, especially) that have perfected it. Granted, pizza franchises in the US (like Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Papa Johns) make incredibly terrible pizza. But I'm talking about small, mom-and-pop places. Those are the places that make truly amazing pizza.

Posted

Pfft. My jobs in order: Paper route. Food bagging at a pet store. Grocery store basket retriever. Pool cleaning/monitor. Landscaper (and I was the "sander" in the Winter, stood in the back of a truck shoveling sand onto the road as my boss slowly drove. LOL)... this was before I landed my main job that lead to my CS career...

Posted

Different types of pizza though, but I do agree to some extent. I've had amazing pizza's in both countries, but they're entirely different. If I had to pick it'd be the Italians, but it's all down to personal preference. Funnily enough the best pizza I had in Rome was in an Irish bar, but I cannot tell you the nationality of the chef. There was a few Irish bar maids and a few Italian if that's any consolation.

I think it can be considered skilled "manual labour" to an extent if you're a pizzaiolo, but unless you're making a real profession out of it, it's still "manual labour".

Posted

Depending on how you like your pizza, Italian pizza is either terrible or "ok" at best.

Not true. I've been to Italy numerous times and the pizza there is great.

Posted

Don't you put Mayo on your French Fries in UK, too? :p

Posted

Mayo goes with everything! :laugh:

2 people like this

Posted

i think you mean on our chips :rofl:

2 people like this

Posted

Most US pizza is not even close to most Italian pizza. Anything here deep dish, thick crust, loaded with toppings or drenched with cheese you're not going to find in Italy. If you like thinner crust pizza with fewer toppings (or really good Margherita), then yes, Italian pizza is good.

Posted

Making pizza is a lot of hard work -- with delicious results.

I have all kinds of respect for pizza makers. :p

Posted

HAHA! Making pizza is manual labor? Really? Not in my book.

Posted

Blessed are the pizza makers.

2 people like this

Posted

All manual labor these days is looked down upon. Everyone wants to belong to the yuppie class or manageratti.

Exactly. They somehow feel it is less noble. I don't believe that myself.

Posted

American Pizza is more pai than Pizza.

Posted

Is the modern pizza even an italian dish? I remember reading that the pizza (as we know it today) was developed by italian immigrants in the US.

Posted

How dare they question the noble and ancient art of pizza making. Back in lil Italy where I hale from it was the greatest honour to toss the dough.

Posted

Is the modern pizza even an italian dish? I remember reading that the pizza (as we know it today) was developed by italian immigrants in the US.

depends on whether you're talking about Pizza or Pai/American Pizza. Either way the modern Pizza WITH cheese is not Italian, but rather first made for a brittish queen way back. before that they didn't have cheese.

Posted

Nope.. We put tomato ketchup on our chips. :p

As for pizza; IIRC, it was originally peasant food for the poorest of the poor in Italy and bears very little resemblance to what most of the world calls pizza.