Italians see pizza makers as humiliating?

To an Italian (yes, I am 1st generation Australian) pizza is NOT like it is in other countries. It is NOT a full meal like most places. You grab some when you're hungry...like a fast food snack almost. I would say it is roughly in the same league as working at a Grilld/Nandos (for those of us in Australia, for those not think 'upper class fast food)...

It is a cultural difference that gives Italians a different view of making pizza. To criticize this Mr Rossi for making comments that stem from his cultural background is a little unfair.

Edit: No cheese on pizza? Most pizza is simple tomato base+cheese top - at least it is now-days in Italy...may have been no-cheese centuries ago?

I bet the "Crappiest" pizza in Rome is still better than some of the best Pizza in the USA

I have had pizza in rome, venice, florence. It is totally different than american pizza. Not better, not worse. Just different in its own way.

Most US pizza is not even close to most Italian pizza. Anything here deep dish, thick crust, loaded with toppings or drenched with cheese you're not going to find in Italy. If you like thinner crust pizza with fewer toppings (or really good Margherita), then yes, Italian pizza is good.

Which is why I prefer US pizza every time.

• Like 1

other here i have never met an Italian pizza maker (UK) they have all been middle eastern or white students I like pizza...its not as bad as working in MacDonalds or burger king .. I once wanted a job in pizza hut cause i love pizza so much ;(

other here i have never met an Italian pizza maker (UK) they have all been middle eastern or white students I like pizza...its not as bad as working in MacDonalds or burger king .. I once wanted a job in pizza hut cause i love pizza so much ;(

I know of one in my old home town on the south coast and he makes the BEST pizza's in the country! Has a proper wood burning stone oven and everything. :D

i'm italian.. and this is so wrong news :)

it's actually a job well remunerated, especially if you own the place, that is usually quite common in italy.

• Like 2

Restaurant job != Manual labor, in my book. These people need to quit complaining.

Sorry, work at an Outback for 10 hours straight with no break and tell me its not manual labor. You literally run the whole time carrying heavy trays.

I know of one in my old home town on the south coast and he makes the BEST pizza's in the country! Has a proper wood burning stone oven and everything. :D

Oh, I love that kind. It's so hard to find here.

I've had a lot of Pizza in my life, and no one beats a standard pizza from Pizza Hut. I'm not 'trolling', I'm dead serious. I love processed crap, I love McDonalds, I love Pizza Hut, I love it ALL! muahaha

Sorry, work at an Outback for 10 hours straight with no break and tell me its not manual labor. You literally run the whole time carrying heavy trays.

Do the same fixing roads or working at a factory, or dong construction and tell us how hard the outback was.

It labour, and it's hard, but it's not in the manual labor classification.

10 hours without breaks would also break all kinds of health and safety laws over here.

Wow, how do you go on?

In all seriousness though, you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I'm italian and I'm not overrating my country's cooking when I say that Italian pizza is the best one. I ate pizza in many European countries and even USA, nothing comparable to the Italian one. Furthermore, in my opinion my parents make the best pizza in the world, I can't really get enough of it.

I don't think making pizza is humiliating, but it seems that recently some people started to disregard "simple" jobs.

Anyway globalization affects also pizza making, I'm not impressed to read that immigrants replace Italians in jobs like this one.

I've had a lot of Pizza in my life, and no one beats a standard pizza from Pizza Hut. I'm not 'trolling', I'm dead serious. I love processed crap, I love McDonalds, I love Pizza Hut, I love it ALL! muahaha

Your taste buds have been corrupted by junk. :D

Restaurant job != Manual labor, in my book. These people need to quit complaining.

Until you realize that some places in Italy and certainly some in Naples, make everything from scratch, the dough, sauce and cheese. It's not pre-packaged corporate stuff you take out of a package and slap on some canned sauces and other packaged toppings.

I definitely prefer a Neapolitan style pizza.

9cdb038b130efcb6e569223c3352ab31.jpg

From Da Michele's

^ I don't know about Pizza Hut being 'junk', but I don't care for the excessive olive oil they use.

I think pretty much all fast food qualifies as junk.

There's your standard takeaway/delivered pizza, then there's the real stuff (Italian). But you have to go to Italy to try it. Here in Australia, I'm yet to find a true authentic Italian pizza (but a few places have come close).

As an Italian, I would also be humiliated; Pizza Hut stealing ideas from past Italian migrants, and then producing a pizza of half the quality, and that makes you put on weight.

Until you realize that some places in Italy and certainly some in Naples, make everything from scratch, the dough, sauce and cheese. It's not pre-packaged corporate stuff you take out of a package and slap on some canned sauces and other packaged toppings.

I definitely prefer a Neapolitan style pizza.

9cdb038b130efcb6e569223c3352ab31.jpg

From Da Michele's

outside of the big chains, so does every pizzeria. and heck over here even the chains mostly do. your posts makes no sense anyway, the only thing they really make is the though, and wether that is made on site or at a big central "bakery" and shipped to the locations doesn't matter much.

it's not like they actually make the cheese and tomatos and meat in the back room :)

outside of the big chains, so does every pizzeria. and heck over here even the chains mostly do. your posts makes no sense anyway, the only thing they really make is the though, and wether that is made on site or at a big central "bakery" and shipped to the locations doesn't matter much.

it's not like they actually make the cheese and tomatos and meat in the back room :)

You missed his point.

But yeah I know plenty of people prefer packaged stuff over made-from-scratch stuff.

I think pretty much all fast food qualifies as junk.

pretty much all restaurant food qualifies as junk also... when a sandwich at Ruby Tuesday is the equivalent to eating 4 big mac's at McDonald's, I don't know how someone could say fast food is the worst thing for you when most chain restaurants are WAY worse in terms of sodium, cholesterol, and fat content