Photo

New build advice. i5-3570k/P8Z77-B LK/8Gb/GTX670?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 30 April 2013 - 14:10

Hi all,

It's getting to the point where I'm destined for a new gaming rig.

The only components I'll require will be mobo, cpu, memory and gpu.

I don't have a specific budget but I don't wanna waste my money.

Currently considering:

£109 Asus P8Z77-V LK Motherboard
£185 i5-3570k
£55 Corsair 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz Red Vengeance Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
£312 EVGA GTX670 FTW 2Gb

Thing is I'm getting really confused nowadays. Too much choice! Like the Z77 saberooth and the Asus Maximus offerings? What tangible advantages do they offer over the reasonably priced board that I selected? I'm mentioning asus specifically as they've always served me well in the past :)

Upgrading from a P5K deluxe with a Core2Duo (overclocked 3.6 ghz), 4gb geil low latency memory and an 8800GTS (640mb).

Rest of the setup includes a CM Storm Scout case, crucial M4 SSD 128gb, 500gb seagate hdd, pioneer DVD writer, coolermaster V8 cooler, Dell U2711 17" monitor @ 2560x1440 and a Dell 2005FPW 1680x1050 - only gaming on one of them (the big one!).

Help much appreciated!

#2 OP Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 30 April 2013 - 14:20

I should add that I may indeed just end up waiting for haswell and the 7xx series cards.

I suppose my real question is whether there's any point spending upwards of £200+ on a motherboard these days!

#3 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 30 April 2013 - 14:26

I should add that I may indeed just end up waiting for haswell and the 7xx series cards.

I suppose my real question is whether there's any point spending upwards of £200+ on a motherboard these days!

Nope. I don't think there ever was, personally, unless you're planning on going completely nuts in the overclocking department, or there's a very specific feature you need.

And yes, at this point I'd wait for Haswell, at least, if you're in no rush.

#4 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 30 April 2013 - 14:31

there's nothing wrong w/ the setup youre proposing, but i'd also wait for Haswell. It's only about a month away now.

as for the nvidia 700 series cards - i dont think there's any firm release date, right? plus, they'll be slightly faster than the 600 series w/ the same Kepler core. the 670 is still a great purchase.

#5 OP Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 30 April 2013 - 14:32

I don't even game that much and my machines perfectly capable as it is. It's well behind the curve though and I feel my gaming has tapered off on the basis that my setup will really struggle to run the likes on battlefield 3 and any other modern games. I'm typically limited to the odd game of CSGO!

#6 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 April 2013 - 14:46

I don't even game that much and my machines perfectly capable as it is. It's well behind the curve though and I feel my gaming has tapered off on the basis that my setup will really struggle to run the likes on battlefield 3 and any other modern games. I'm typically limited to the odd game of CSGO!

670 is probably a good choice then, unless you're going to game at gigantic resolutions.

#7 OP Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 30 April 2013 - 14:50

670 is probably a good choice then, unless you're going to game at gigantic resolutions.

Well 2560x1440 is pretty heavy right? I assumed a a GTX670 2gb would cope with that. The 4gb is almost £400 and I'm loathed to spend that much on a card!

#8 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 April 2013 - 14:57

Well 2560x1440 is pretty heavy right? I assumed a a GTX670 2gb would cope with that. The 4gb is almost £400 and I'm loathed to spend that much on a card!

Oh, ok, I was confused by your original post, it said there was a 2560 x 1440 17'' monitor... :D

Assuming you want to game at native resolution, I'd say 2gb is fine, but get a faster card. A 680 could run something like Farcry 3 at that resolution at ~35 fps, a 670 is going to struggle to consistently hit 30.

#9 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 30 April 2013 - 15:21

Assuming you want to game at native resolution, I'd say 2gb is fine, but get a faster card. A 680 could run something like Farcry 3 at that resolution at ~35 fps, a 670 is going to struggle to consistently hit 30.

agreed. At such a high resolution, a single 670 is going to choke on any modern games.

#10 OP Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 30 April 2013 - 16:04

Oh, ok, I was confused by your original post, it said there was a 2560 x 1440 17'' monitor... :D

Whoops! Typo - that's 27"! Ah dammit - what about AMD's offerings?

#11 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 April 2013 - 16:27

Whoops! Typo - that's 27"! Ah dammit - what about AMD's offerings?

You'd probably want a 7970. At that resolution, you're going to always be looking at, if not the best card in their lineup, only 1 or 2 steps below that.

#12 OP Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 30 April 2013 - 17:02

So what tends to be the most relevant factor when it comes to increasing res? The amount of memory or the GPU itself?

I have heard much about the 7970 offering far better bang for buck but obviously you lose things like PhysX with it.

Then you get the option to go with the standard reference card or something that's been rev'd to the moon and back - these things used to be simple!!

#13 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 30 April 2013 - 17:14

It's getting to the point where I'm destined for a new gaming rig.

Just wanted to point how awesome it is that you put this in such a romantic way. Thumbs up.

#14 OP Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 30 April 2013 - 17:53

Just wanted to point how awesome it is that you put this in such a romantic way. Thumbs up.

It certainly feels that way! This beaut has served me for the best part of 6 years - one has to choose very carefully when considering a successor!

#15 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 April 2013 - 18:09

So what tends to be the most relevant factor when it comes to increasing res? The amount of memory or the GPU itself?

I have heard much about the 7970 offering far better bang for buck but obviously you lose things like PhysX with it.

Then you get the option to go with the standard reference card or something that's been rev'd to the moon and back - these things used to be simple!!

The long and short of it is that 2gb of memory is good enough for any game out today, and probably will be for a while. At some point using enough high quality textures to saturate 4gbs of memory is going to generate 100 gb games, so... I don't think we'll see them soon, thanks to the limits of consoles and digital distribution. There are already games in the 40 - 50gb range for the PC that still can't use 2gbs of memory on textures.

PhysX never really caught on. I know of games which use it, but they're few and far between, and it's not often used to do much. If you really, really want it you can buy any older Nvidia card and use it as a PhysX processor.

Reference cards don't really sell anymore, except when they first come out, or on deep discount. Pick a good manufacturer and their SUPERUBERQUADFAN edition will be fine. Just check out the reviews and look for one that's quiet and people haven't been having issues with.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!