More bad news for Nintendo: Wiikey team claims WiiU cracked

Wiike? - Its True!

[2013.05.01]

Yes, its real - we have now completely reversed the WiiU drive authentification, disk encryption, file system, and everything else needed for this next generation K3y. Stay tuned for updates!

Source: http://wiikey.com/news/

This device will...

Allow 1:1 backups only (no hacked/cheated games)

This device will not...

Enable homebrew

Help hackers break the Wii U's game or system encryptions

Allow cheaters to hack online games

This device PROBABLY will not...

Allow for region free (unless Nintendo forgot to give seperate regions different encryption keys, again)

Well, the Wii was hacked to pieces, my guess is that Nintendo didn't go back and rewrite the underlying OS from scratch, so, this isn't a huge surprise...

Good to know, though. Hacked Wiis are pretty great, one that can do HD is even better. :D

Not really that bad, allows 1:1 backups, obviously this is the start and it'll progressively get worse but it'll probably help shift some extra units.

I hope they don't blame this or piracy for why it has low sales - people think it's ****, that's why they're not buying it.

Nintendo's consoles were generally easy to hack. Yet, they manage to outsell the competition anyways (outsold the PS3 and Xbox 360 this gen, for example).

Not really that bad, allows 1:1 backups, obviously this is the start and it'll progressively get worse but it'll probably help shift some extra units.

I hope they don't blame this or piracy for why it has low sales - people think it's ****, that's why they're not buying it.

It is bad (for Nintendo), chances are the console is not selling at a loss but I am sure its not as good as the Wii was at launch. Software and attachment rate is what helps profits and if people are just buying the hardware its not going to help Nintendo or its publishers. I own any games that I would "copy" so until more games are released, this is a non-issue for me.

This should be great news. Now their sales of the console will improve. Actually if homebrew isn't supported yet I take that back. Once it is then it will start selling like hot cakes.

If anything, this is good news.

yes, awesome, just what the Wii needs. a crack that allows you to play downloaded copies... oh sorry, I mean "backups"...

This should be great news. Now their sales of the console will improve. Actually if homebrew isn't supported yet I take that back. Once it is then it will start selling like hot cakes.

Sorry, but as old as that excuse is, it's still just that, and excuse. for every 1 person that plays homebrew, 100+ plays pirated copies. and all these people already have devices that allow them to play "home brew", it's called a computer.

• Like 2

Its the dreamcast all over again. My thoughts is this might have been intentional if the method to do this ends up being super easy like it was for the dreamcast. Either way this just made me decide to buy one now.

Nintendo's consoles were generally easy to hack. Yet, they manage to outsell the competition anyways (outsold the PS3 and Xbox 360 this gen, for example).

console sales mean nothing, software sales is what's important.. and Nintendo had the absolute worst attachment rate of them all.

No, people aren't buying it because there's no games on it. there's Mario and a few games you can play on other platforms that look the same or even better in some cases on the older hardware.

Are you still going to say Piracy has no effect if the sales skyrocket and software sales stay stale ?

Typically speaking this doesn't really cause a big issue for Nintendo, as most people are too apprehensive over modifying their console just to get some free games. I think we'll only get a burst of pirating when a soft mod option is available, as then it's a lot easier to do.

On a personal note... I don't really care for this sort of thing. I'd be much more interested in hearing homebrew is available, as the hardware in the Wii U is probably strong enough to handle Gamecube emulation, although even having an N64 emulator that can stream to the Gamepad... :D

Typically speaking this doesn't really cause a big issue for Nintendo, as most people are too apprehensive over modifying their console just to get some free games. I think we'll only get a burst of pirating when a soft mod option is available, as then it's a lot easier to do.

On a personal note... I don't really care for this sort of thing. I'd be much more interested in hearing homebrew is available, as the hardware in the Wii U is probably strong enough to handle Gamecube emulation, although even having an N64 emulator that can stream to the Gamepad... :D

The sad part is, a friend of mine went through the trouble of doing this and the console still only saw about a months worth of play time before it continued to collect dust. :/

Anyway, I'm not sure what the excitement is about if it doesn't allow for homebrew or anything else yet. How would a 1:1 backup of a game help anything? Especially when there aren't many games to begin with? (honest question here, I'm not trying to be an ass)

No, people aren't buying it because there's no games on it. there's Mario and a few games you can play on other platforms that look the same or even better in some cases on the older hardware.

Are you still going to say Piracy has no effect if the sales skyrocket and software sales stay stale ?

Same thing, I wouldn't buy the wiiu.

Obviously piracy has some effect, but doesn't mean it's always negative. Anything with restrictive DRM I won't buy, and there's been a lot of games I've wanted, seen they've bundled crap with it and I will just outright refuse to ever buy, however intelligent anti-piracy measures like in arma or deus ex, etc. are good, you get to try the game and if you like it, save games will just move on over if you buy it.

GBA, DS, Wii all have piracy, yet they still sell a LOT of (the more popular) games. And you're assuming everyone that pirates something would have paid for it. There's some slightly dodgy films I've seen that I didn't pay for, if I couldn't have seen them without paying, would I have paid? No. Would I have seen them? No.

I really doubt support for homebrew stuff would get you a decent gamecube emulator, especially if it's done entirely in software.

They might have outsold in terms of consoles, but they didn't outsell in terms of software. Wii has the lowest retention rate.

The sad part is, a friend of mine went through the trouble of doing this and the console still only saw about a months worth of play time before it continued to collect dust. :/

Anyway, I'm not sure what the excitement is about if it doesn't allow for homebrew or anything else yet. How would a 1:1 backup of a game help anything? Especially when there aren't many games to begin with? (honest question here, I'm not trying to be an ass)

Either he breezes through games quite quickly or his game tastes are quite limited, if I had the entire Wii's library at my disposal I wouldn't be getting off it for quite a while :p

The excitement (as per the second part of your post) is because it's not used for backups, it's for people to be able to download disc rips off of the internet and run it off of a USB HDD - essentially, free games. Obviously, there's not many games out yet, but there will be. The people who are excited about this simply couldn't care less about homebrew, they only want free games.

I really doubt support for homebrew stuff would get you a decent gamecube emulator, especially if it's done entirely in software.

You're probably right, I doubt it'll have any chance of doing Gamecube emulation if it's got no hardware acceleration, which is a shame. However, if the homebrew developers can make this feasible, it'll pretty much open the gates for Wii emulation too, which would be a massive boon for homebrew users (I think this might actually push me to purchase a Wii U, even, if I didn't have one already), as it would allow Wii games to be played on the GP. This is more ignorant fanboy speculation then any actual rational thinking, as the rational side of me knows the ins and outs enough to know this probably won't ever happen, and that makes me sad :laugh:

considering how long it takes to write an emulator and how complicated they are. I wouldn't hold my breath. even if they eventually where able to fully support home brew, they'd have to write a whole new powerPC based emulator, while they could potentially re-use a lot of code, it's not a direct re-compile.

considering how long it takes to write an emulator and how complicated they are. I wouldn't hold my breath. even if they eventually where able to fully support home brew, they'd have to write a whole new powerPC based emulator, while they could potentially re-use a lot of code, it's not a direct re-compile.

Well the Wii emulators could probably be re-used a fair bit, but yeah, you're right. Plus, brand new emulators would take forever.

If the Wii can virtualize the GameCube hardware (and it can as evidenced by the homebrew software for playing GameCube backups, Devolution), so can the Wii U. I fail to see how Nintendo could not do better than someone who did it in their free time.

The excitement (as per the second part of your post) is because it's not used for backups, it's for people to be able to download disc rips off of the internet and run it off of a USB HDD - essentially, free games. Obviously, there's not many games out yet, but there will be. The people who are excited about this simply couldn't care less about homebrew, they only want free games.

Ahhh, okay. I think I misread that as not being able to play pirated games for some reason. Thanks for the reply!

If the Wii can virtualize the GameCube hardware (and it can as evidenced by the homebrew software for playing GameCube backups, Devolution), so can the Wii U. I fail to see how Nintendo could not do better than someone who did it in their free time.

The GC -> Wii was basically an enhanced CPU, it's fully backwards compatible and has a register for controlling if it runs in GC or Wii mode. The wiiu is probably completely different due to security reasons and whatnot, and it's cheaper to remove old features that you don't need. So no, I don't think so.

The GC -> Wii was basically an enhanced CPU, it's fully backwards compatible and has a register for controlling if it runs in GC or Wii mode. The wiiu is probably completely different due to security reasons and whatnot, and it's cheaper to remove old features that you don't need. So no, I don't think so.

Incorrect. Devolution runs on Wii-mode on the Wii U.