• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 10,026 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 30 April 2013 - 20:09

As much as I'd love to see GTA running on something like the Frostbite engine, I really don't care about it otherwise.

The story is what the last game was lacking, and I think the characters in GTAV have more personality as it stands already than the last cast. Gameplay wise, I played the crap out of GTAIV just because of how well it played. I don't even like third person shooters, but the way you maneuver around is well done to the point that I have zero issues with the experience they give.

That said, it already looks better than GTAIV, the characters look more engaging, if the story plays out better, I think we'd have a hit on our hands. I also enjoy seeing things from Franklin's perspective. Makes me wonder if we'll be getting a chance to play in each of the three character's shoes. I'd love to see it from all angles as it is. I'm very much excited about the game after seeing these trailers. :)

#32 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,039 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 30 April 2013 - 20:10

If it does come to PC I hope the port is as good as Max Payne 3 was.

It's unlikely, because Max Payne 3 was developed for the PC alongside the console version - that isn't the case with GTA5.

I don't think we do differ that much. The difference is that I am not locked into just observing the technical aspects of a games visuals. I am looking at the world Rockstar has built with in these technical limitations.

Graphics certainly aren't my only concern but they are a major distinguishing factor between games and contribute to immersion. My problem is that GTA4 was a mess on a technical level and the gameplay was significantly consolised - it didn't play well on PC. I haven't seen anything to suggest that GTA5 won't suffer from the same issues.

Rockstar has never shown raw game play of a GTA game prior to release. So it really shouldn't be concerning at all.

After the mess that was GTA4 I think it very much is a concern, especially when the PC is not a primary platform - that differs to Max Payne 3, which had a competent PC release.

I can't help thinking those that are scoffing at the technical quality of the visuals in GTA V are mostly PC gaming snobs.

I game on PC so my concern is how the game looks and plays on PC. The better ports tend to be developed alongside the console release and take advantage of the platform. GTA4 was a technical disaster and GTA5 isn't even being developed for PC currently. Meanwhile competing games like Watch_Dogs are being designed for PC and next generation consoles. I have no interest in supporting poor quality ports.

It's the same with DVDs / Blu-rays - now that I am accustomed to 1080p I don't enjoy watching DVDs.

#33 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,417 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:18

This isn't a PC game though, its a game made for consoles that are 6 years old that has 256mb of RAM and 256MB of VRAM. I'd like to see a 6 year old PC pump out "incredible" graphics.

I like how you can use your crystal ball and see what the gameplay mechanics are from a 1 min trailer which was basically all cutscene.

6 years old? more like 8 :p

Xbox was released in 2005, and I believe PS3 a year later?

#34 Dreamspell

Dreamspell

Neowinian

• 253 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia Icon

Posted 01 May 2013 - 15:51

This is a really good analysis.

#35 Boxster17

Boxster17

Porsche Enthusiast

• 1,702 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:20

Really hoping that this game grabs me more than GTAIV did, which I still don't think I've beaten fully to this day. I loved Vice City back in the day and was probably the last one I played through completely and I'm really hoping this one provides the same sort of enjoyment. Already I'm liking the looks of it more than GTAIV which seems to be promising, though we'll see how it all turns out.

#36 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,006 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 06 May 2013 - 15:17

The graphics do look like trash when compared to say, modern games, like Bioshock 3

#37 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 15:21

Bioshocks not open world, its a crafted linear experience, there is no way you would be able to run a game with the level of detail of Bioshock with the size of GTA5 map into 256mb memory.

#38 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,006 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 15:22

Bioshocks not open world, its a crafted linear experience, there is no way you would be able to run a game with the level of detail of Bioshock with the size of GTA5 map into 256mb memory.

Ok, lets try again, it looks worse than Far Cry 3

#39 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 15:42

Far Cry 3 map is tiny compared and is sparsely populated, nothing like the level of detail that gets put into a GTA world map.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Wow amazing graphics......... some mountains in distance, a load of trees, best in class.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Not exactly next gen graphics but I'm getting sick of people saying the graphics are crap.

#40 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,006 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 16:54

I think you are blind to call Far Cry 3 tiny and lacking detail. Not only is it more detailed, but need I remind you that vegetation is far more difficult to draw than squares.

Note the single sprite palm trees on the beach. And generally, the complete lack of detail on the beach.
Not impressive. Brutal LOD cutoff. Rockstar can fix this w/ PC version though (or troll us), but for now, not impressive.

Edited by _Alexander, 06 May 2013 - 16:55.

#41 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 16:58

Posted Image
Wow so detailed... flat, bland, uninspiring environment, unless you like trees.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Look at the level of detail, each of those city blocks you can drive up and down, its not faux backdrop.

#42 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,417 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 17:03

Draw just squares? Posted Image

Huge city, with buildings, lights, cars, planes, people and a hell of a lot going on.

How does rending trees, open space and wide ocean areas even compare to that? GTA has a lot more to do, with the same specs.

#43 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,006 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 17:07

Stop trolling. Posting a bland screenshot of FC3 is not a valid comparison.

Edited by _Alexander, 06 May 2013 - 17:08.

#44 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 17:08

According to you Far Cry 3 is more detailed than GTA5, there shouldn't be any "bland" screenshots.

#45 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,006 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 17:20

You just posted a beach scene screen show from GTAV and is very bland as well.
Same goes for the mountains - very bland - a few trees and what? Especially on the right - not impressive.

The engine does not seem to exceed any bar. God rays? Everyone has that.
Lightning? Horrible.
Hell, the preview shows that the drinking glass casts no shadow. That is very sad.
The last office screenshot - if you do not the low resolution shadows in that screenshot, you may be blind.
Lightning and fog to hide the lack of detail? Check.

Edited by _Alexander, 06 May 2013 - 17:22.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!