usa .22-caliber rifle ruled accidental nightmares

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
61 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,713 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 16:33

(CNN) -- A Kentucky mother stepped outside of her home just for a few minutes, but it was long enough for her 5-year-old son to accidentally shoot his 2-year-old sister with the .22-caliber rifle he got for his birthday, state officials said.

Little Caroline Starks died Tuesday in Burkesville, in southern Kentucky, according to Cumberland County Coroner Gary White.

"The little Crickett rifle is a single-shot rifle and it has a child safety," White said of the weapon. "It's just a tragic situation."

Starks' autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday, but the shooting has been ruled accidental, according to Kentucky State Police Public Affairs officer Billy Gregory.

"The mother was home at the time of the incident but she had stepped outside," Gregory said. "It's just one of those nightmares -- a quick thing that happens when you turn your back."

Gregory said young children in the area are often introduced to guns at an early age.

"In this part of the country, it's not uncommon for a 5-year-old to have a gun or for a parent to pass one down to their kid," he said.

more

#2 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,350 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 01 May 2013 - 16:39

(CNN) -- A Kentucky mother stepped outside of her home just for a few minutes, but it was long enough for her 5-year-old son to accidentally shoot his 2-year-old sister with the .22-caliber rifle he got for his birthday, state officials said.
"In this part of the country, it's not uncommon for a 5-year-old to have a gun or for a parent to pass one down to their kid," he said.

They gave a five year old boy a rifle for his birthday? :|

#3 WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Neowinian Senior

• 3,916 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 16:41

Personally I think the mother should be prosecuted here. Giving a 5 year old a gun, and leaving it with him unsupervised? What the hell did she think was going to happen!

#4 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 16:42

They gave a five year old boy a rifle for his birthday? :|

Apparently the Crickett Firearms manufacturer do an entire "My First Rifle" range, even available in a fabulous pink colour for the little ones. :huh:

Can't really say I'm surprised though.

#5 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,683 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 16:44

Probably said she was a Louisville fan...

#6 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,296 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 16:54

As much as I am Pro Gun, there is no reason why a 5 year old should get a 22 caliber gun for his birthday

#7 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 16:57

Now *that* is beyond stupid on all accounts possible. Is ok to have whatever guns you want, if it was up to me - an AA battery or a fully armed main battle tank, as long as you have a proven record of responsibility (a very long record) and the necessary training.

Now giving a gun to a kid that can barely locate his p[beeeep], on the other hand... is just totally mental.

#8 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 26,296 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 17:06

Now *that* is beyond stupid on all accounts possible. Is ok to have whatever guns you want, if it was up to me - an AA battery or a fully armed main battle tank, as long as you have a proven record of responsibility (a very long record) and the necessary training.

Now giving a gun to a kid that can barely locate his p[beeeep], on the other hand... is just totally mental.

Exactly, my nephew is 8 going on 9 years old, and I would never want to put a gun in his hands. He would accidentally kill someone with in a day. God forbid if he ever though you were a zombie!

#9 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,521 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 01 May 2013 - 17:06

Epic Darwin Award.

What an incredibly depressing new level of stupid.

#10 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,475 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 17:09

The mother failed in her duty of care..

She absolutely should be charged. Leaving a loaded weapon out around children is something American's are all too ok with..

#11 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,815 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 17:12

As much as I am Pro Gun, there is no reason why a 5 year old should get a 22 caliber gun for his birthday

There's no problem with a 5 yo boy having/using a 22 riffle.

The problem is letting him alone with the riffle unsupervised even if it's for 5 min only.

#12 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 17:17

There's no problem with a 5 yo boy having/using a 22 riffle.

The problem is letting him alone with the riffle unsupervised even if it's for 5 min only.

There is. That's the kind of thinking that gets you into trouble all the time. Thinking that supervision can solve responsibility problems of individuals. That's why pro-gun people get called gun nuts and anti-gun nuts go apesh*t upon us each time they hear a fart (sorry for this exact term).

#13 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,255 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 17:20

So, you give a new gun owner, a 5yr old, a loaded gun and leave them unsupervised. Smart parenting. Child safety or not (ive know kid that can get past child safety products)

Parents fault 110%. Idiots.

#14 Paul Austin

Paul Austin

Neowinian

• 21 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 17:31

I'd like to feel bad but I can't. Reality check, this is why you don't need to buy a 5 year old a rifle.

#15 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,175 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 17:42

Dear small child,

Next time shoot your mom to keep her from breeding more.

Sincerely,
Society