5-year-old Kentucky boy fatally shoots sister

I was never under the impression that stabbings don't happen.

Is it because it is a culture of knives?!

As a precursor to my future statement, I am what the left would call a "gun-nut"

That being said. It is a culture of guns that lets a parent think giving a 5 year old a loaded gun is a good idea. Same goes for knives, batons, explosives and nunchuks. I could see a case for it in the 50's, but nowadays with how stupid society is, it shouldn't be allowed.

Again, it could happen with anything. But it shouldn't have happened with a gun. These people are the reason everyone thinks I'm crazy for wanting to protect myself.

The thing is, these same kinds of people would also leave knives and rat poison laying around. No intelligent person is going to not use gun locks, safes, or leave a child alone with a gun.

No that's not a knife culture. They're just people stabbing people.

I'd say gifting a 5 year old a rifle is the result of a gun culture though.

"maybe" the mom knew this was gonna happen that the 5 yrs old would shot his sister and one less kid to take care.

epic failed.

The thing is, these same kinds of people would also leave knives and rat poison laying around. No intelligent person is going to not use gun locks, safes, or leave a child alone with a gun.

Understood. But you have to admit, that its the "****ING CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT IM GOING TO ARM MY WHOLE FAMILY AND HIDE IN A BUNKER" people, (the REAL nuts) that are making us look bad. Gotta say, that's a culture of guns in their family/community. (the article even says in that area its common for children to have weapons such as a .22)

I'm not saying that the US is a culture of guns, it's that particular area that is, and as such you have an increase of horrible things like this which turn the anti-gun people into raging maniacs bent on destroying our freedom.

In the end though, you are right. It'll happen to stupid people one way or another. whether by DUI, knives, guns, or arsenic.

EDIT: Another side note. I had a friend die in Col. Springs because he decided to keep one in the chamber. It blew his head off when he dropped it in his car. He was a National Guardsman, and an avid gun safety advocate... Sometimes things just happen, and the smallest bit of "care" could save a life, or destroy it.

Edited by rr_dRock

It's okay - guns don't result in more gun deaths. /s

It's sad that Americans accept these as common place now instead of change to reduce the likihood of it occurring again.

It's sad that Americans accept these as common place now instead of change to reduce the likihood of it occurring again.

Many dont accept it...people are stupid and sometimes, cant fix stupid.

Nothing quite like giving a five year old a loaded gun, stepping away, and complaining when something goes horribly wrong. I feel sorry for the young girl who was unnecessarily killed - but other than that - the family had it coming and I'm slightly happy the gene pool has been reinforced ever-so-slightly.

Then again, maybe I'm just a heartless ******. To be honest though I can't tell if I'm being pessimistically optimistic or optimistically pessimistic.

They gave a five year old boy a rifle for his birthday? :|

Mother was s-t-u-p-i-d, period. Negligence charges? Yup.

At that age we only let the kids have an Airsoft, then at 7-8 they got a BB (.177 cal ball bearing) or pellet rifle IF they proved themselves responsible enough. Very supervised in all use cases.

I got my .22 at age 8, same year as my first real bow. Got a shotgun at 10 and a lever action 30-30 at about 12 for deer. In all cases the firearm was locked in a gun cabinet unless my dad and I were going to shoot targets or hunt. Ammo was in a padlocked Army surplus ammo locker.

BTW: in Michigan there is no lower age limit for hunting, but under 10 hunters have to be "mentored" (have an adult supervising hunter with them.) Kids often get their first deer around age 10-12.

Young lady turkey hunter

dad_girl_turkey_373737_7.jpg

The mother failed in her duty of care..

She absolutely should be charged. Leaving a loaded weapon out around children is something American's are all too ok with..

You really think we're all okay with giving guns to children? It's mind blowing enough that something like this was allowed to happen. It's even more mind blowing that you think we're all "ok" with it.

News story involves America and guns?! Quickly! Must reply with most stupid generalizing post I possibly can!

And yes, the mother is completely at fault.

• Like 2

Personally I think the mother should be prosecuted here. Giving a 5 year old a gun, and leaving it with him unsupervised? What the hell did she think was going to happen!

I totally agree. That is totally wrong.

You really think we're all okay with giving guns to children? It's mind blowing enough that something like this was allowed to happen. It's even more mind blowing that you think we're all "ok" with it.

News story involves America and guns?! Quickly! Must reply with most stupid generalizing post I possibly can!

And yes, the mother is completely at fault.

Read the above 20 posts talking about children being given guns.

In Australia, you won't find a child with a gun ever (barring some idiots). Thus you as a society are more ok with children having guns than us.. Too ok some might say..

A grasp of the English language would have helped you here. I didn't say you were ok with kids being left alone with guns; I said you as a society are ok with children having access to/possession of weapons at all.

At least do me the courtesy of reading my post before replying to something I didn't say..

Read the above 20 posts talking about children being given guns.

In Australia, you won't find a child with a gun ever (barring some idiots). Thus you as a society are more ok with children having guns than us.. Too ok some might say..

A grasp of the English language would have helped you here. I didn't say you were ok with kids being left alone with guns; I said you as a society are ok with children having possession of weapons at all.

At least do me the courtesy of reading my post before replying to something I didn't say..

Noting some stories about inbred idiot hicks hardly qualifies for you to generalize about an entire society. However, that happens a lot here.

• Like 2

Noting some stories about inbred idiot hicks hardly qualifies for you to generalize about an entire society. However, that happens a lot here.

Well apart from your just calling a bunch of members inbred hicks, this is as good a sample as any.

A quick browsing of the NRA site or many of the dozens of "teach kids to shoot" sites merely reinforces my position.

Your society still allows and indeed revels in the "right" to own weapons. That's not a generalization. Your society has failed to legislate against children using weapons. Your society has failed to legislate for reasonable restrictions on weapons.

Thus your society is all too ok with allowing children access to weapons. Your society is all too ok with allowing ANYONE possession of a weapon.

For future reference; please point out where I can obtain the qualification to allow me to generalize about a society. I figure if there's a qualification I should have it..