[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/1266ae8.jpg[/img]

Posted

Hopefully that's a placeholder. I'm not paying

Posted

[quote name='TheLegendOfMart' timestamp='1367433789' post='595667702']
Hopefully that's a placeholder. I'm not paying

Posted

Yeah but I'm poor! :(

The hardware is less complex than the PS3, or at least the custom CELL processor, I was hoping it would be a wee bit cheaper.

Posted

[quote name='TheLegendOfMart' timestamp='1367434503' post='595667732']
Yeah but I'm poor! :(

The hardware is less complex than the PS3, or at least the custom CELL processor, I was hoping it would be a wee bit cheaper.
[/quote]In engineering, it is usually more difficult to design simple solutions than to design complex ones. The PS4 is the result of a ton of research and experimentation, certainly vastly more than the PS3.

Posted

Taking bets how long will it take for someone to exploit it (crack it). PS3 lasted virgin for many years, it was a hard bone for the hackers.

Posted

Posted

[quote name='Majesticmerc' timestamp='1367438524' post='595667874']Why am I continually getting the impression that this generation of consoles are going to be a complete rip-off?[/quote]I have no idea why you would think that. The next generation of consoles is well overdue, and from what we know, they will be very powerful and flexible hardware. I'm quite excited for it, if only to see how they will push gaming technology forward and make it easier for independent developers to publish for consoles.

Prices seem in line with the previous generation, so where's the rip-off?

Posted

[quote name='Asik' timestamp='1367437629' post='595667854']
In engineering, it is usually more difficult to design simple solutions than to design complex ones. The PS4 is the result of a ton of research and experimentation, certainly vastly more than the PS3.
[/quote]

This is crazy talk. :laugh:

The design of the PS4 is practically off the shelf compared to the PS3, not to mention blu-ray drives are what, 25% the cost the were when the PS3 came out?

It's $400 (or whatever the equivalent in dollars will be) because Sony looks at what they can get now, and what they can still get for it 7 years out. No one wants to continuously do price cuts and end up selling something for $50 by the end of its lifespan.
2 people like this

Posted

Thanks. I'll just add GTX 680 4 GB to my more than 3 years old, but perfectly capable PC, and go to town with it. Of course, had I the monies for both, I'd take both, for the exclusives.

Oh wait, I forgot. I have neither sort of monies. Nnn...

Posted

Just pre-ordered 3.

Posted

[quote name='threetonesun' timestamp='1367439038' post='595667886']
This is crazy talk. :laugh:

The design of the PS4 is practically off the shelf compared to the PS3, not to mention blu-ray drives are what, 25% the cost the were when the PS3 came out?[/quote]It's closer to a gaming PC, but it's still all custom parts, so it's not "practically off-the-shelf" at all. The cost has to covers not only the parts and assembly, but also the R&D behind the design.

And still if previous generations of consoles are of any indication, they're selling it at a loss and hoping to get their money back on game royalties.

Posted

[quote name='grik' timestamp='1367438472' post='595667872']
Taking bets how long will it take for someone to exploit it (crack it). PS3 lasted virgin for many years, it was a hard bone for the hackers.
[/quote]

When Sony gave Linux options, hackers weren't targeting, when someone started to get access to the PS3 OS, and Sony over reaction and removing the linux install option (on the older models), they essentially energized the hacking community against them, were before most didn't even bother.

Posted

It's x86, the parts used are nothing special that other OEMs can't get their hands on.

Posted

[quote name='Jason Stillion' timestamp='1367439890' post='595667916']
When Sony gave Linux options, hackers weren't targeting, when someone started to get access to the PS3 OS, and Sony over reaction and removing the linux install option (on the older models), they essentially energized the hacking community against them,[b] were before most didn't even bother[/b].
[/quote]

No offense, but I find that very hard to believe. I have yet to see a console where the hacking community does put forth a good effort in circumventing the security of the system. As far as I know the only reason they go into the PS3 was due to those leaked keys.

Back to the topic, I'll be more inclined to believe the price when Sony actually announces something (likely at E3 which is what, about 6 weeks away now?).

Posted

[quote name='Asik' timestamp='1367439018' post='595667884']
I have no idea why you would think that. The next generation of consoles is well overdue, and from what we know, they will be very powerful and flexible hardware. I'm quite excited for it, if only to see how they will push gaming technology forward and make it easier for independent developers to publish for consoles.

Prices seem in line with the previous generation, so where's the rip-off?
[/quote]

Posted

It's a placeholder price. Or at least I'd hope so.

Posted

[quote name='Majesticmerc' timestamp='1367440319' post='595667928']

Posted

[quote name='Asik' timestamp='1367441022' post='595667952']
I smell Yahtzee Croshaw :) although if it did have a special button that ejected naked ladies (assuming pretty and young ones) it'd already be on my pre-order list, personally.
[/quote]

You know I thought the PC gaming master race thing was a bit Yahtzee-esque, but I just found the picture on reddit and thought it was funny :p

Posted

The price of games is indeed a massive factor for people not buying console games. The 360 has very high piracy rates whereas the ps3 has low piracy as the protection is better, you often have to wait days for a patch to make new ps3 games work. Also 360 was cracked years before ps3 too. You would think that the prices wouldn't be too high until these new consoles are cracked as they know that 100% of users have paid. I reckon they will charge high prices for the first 9 months then drop them to a

Posted

[quote name='Boxster17' timestamp='1367440198' post='595667926']
No offense, but I find that very hard to believe. I have yet to see a console where the hacking community does put forth a good effort in circumventing the security of the system. As far as I know the only reason they go into the PS3 was due to those leaked keys.

Back to the topic, I'll be more inclined to believe the price when Sony actually announces something (likely at E3 which is what, about 6 weeks away now?).
[/quote]
It's not inconceivable to have an angry mob when you remove a cool feature like installing an alternate OS. I was really rustled by that and everyone wanted to grab Sony by the neck for the actions they were taking