Photo

Most likely scenerio with Windows 8.1 (opinion)

win8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 01 May 2013 - 19:02

Here's my opinion (please take it with a grain of salt); Windows 8.1, will most likely be a product key that you buy for $20 and insert it into add features to Windows 8. When it is inserted, it will install like the windows media pack! This makes the most logical sense! This might also be the way other incremental Windows 8 OS updates are rolled out as well!

Attached Images

• windows 8.1.png

#2 Sylar0

Sylar0

Neowinian

Posted 01 May 2013 - 19:08

Erm no I want it free......

#3 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 01 May 2013 - 19:11

So you download it from the "Free downloads" section but have to pay "only" 20$ for it :p

#4 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 01 May 2013 - 19:15

It won't be anything like that..

And damn dude, can you stop making topics for this.. SERIOUSLY STOP IT.

You've taken a discussion in another topic where in it was being well covered, and made your own topic for it.

#5 OP Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Posted 01 May 2013 - 19:35

It won't be anything like that..

And damn dude, can you stop making topics for this.. SERIOUSLY STOP IT.

You've taken a discussion in another topic where in it was being well covered, and made your own topic for it.

Then what is your opinion then on how Windows 8.1 will be released? Like I said, this is just an opinion and "please take it with a grain of salt", aye aye aye! The other topic was asking what it will be, I am giving a foreshadowing and an opinion of what may come!

#6 ShareShiz

ShareShiz

Neowinian

Posted 01 May 2013 - 19:42

Wait until the end of next month and then you can make assumptions.

#7 Deactivated.

Deactivated.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 19:46

Pretty sure it'll be free and delivered as an optional update via the Windows Update mechanism

#8 OP Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Posted 01 May 2013 - 19:52

Or Windows 8.1 will be free. I think it will be the same as downloading Windows media pack by getting a product key and putting into "add features to Windows 8!

Attached Images

• windows 8.1 2.png

#9 Ian W

Ian W

Physical presence asserted.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 19:57

No.
Hopefully, the most likely scenario is that Microsoft either a) includes Windows Media Center with Windows 8.1 by default or, b) offers it as a free add-on.

#10 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 01 May 2013 - 20:20

Don't care because I won't be using it as all the complaints I had about Windows 8 haven't gone away but I would imagine it will be released as a full download in ISO format, and as an in place upgrade. Pricing however is something about which it's pointless to speculate at this moment in time. But it won't be delivered as a service pack, it's probably still going to be marketed as a full and new version of Windows.

#11 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:44

I thought 8.1 was going to be like a old service pack. If so, wouldn't that make it free?

#12 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:04

No, it isn't going to be like an old service pack, it is being marketed as a new product. How many service packs have Microsoft released that contain a kernel version bump (6.2 in Windows 8 to 6.3 in Blue) and a new product name?

#13 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:15

No, it isn't going to be like an old service pack, it is being marketed as a new product. How many service packs have Microsoft released that contain a kernel version bump (6.2 in Windows 8 to 6.3 in Blue) and a new product name?

and you know this for sure? Most signs point to a service pack like update for free. Microsoft has released an entire new OS as a free service pack before. It was called Windows XP SP2.

#14 Dutchie64

Dutchie64

Neowinian

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:22

This already has been discussed to death before, in other threads......

MS is changing it's way of delivering the new versions of Windows. The 'old' way of delivering a new version every three years or so, with some SP's inbetween is over.

Now we're going to see, like OSX, a new version every year. This means buying the new version/upgrade for a small fee if you want to keep up with the new stuff. If 8.1 will be an paid upgrade, nobody knows yet, and any speculation or silly mock ups is... well.... silly....

Question to the mods, can we lock threads like this? As it's just speculation and makes a lot of people nervous of foaming around the mouth......

#15 BobSlob

BobSlob

Neowinian

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:22

I believe this is just an attempt to "call-it" so in a few weeks/months someone can come back and say "I told you so, see my post here".