• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#16 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,733 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 02 May 2013 - 13:39

what android tablet is moving though, the Galaxy tab top end model, or the Lenco 7 inch with a screen you can't see if you have lights on in the room that costs 99.9,-when the store isn't giving them away fro 50 to get rid of them.

I would think tablets like the Nexus 7/10, Kindle/Nook, and Galaxy/Note range of tablets are the best sellers.

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,960 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:01

Kindle doesn't count as an android. Nook I suppose does, but I don't think that sold to the level of the kindle, either way, none of them are available over here. We did sell quite a few Nexus 7's though, not as many as iPad2''s though. Nexus 10's are still not available here... and even then they appear to be mostly flopping.

#18 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,067 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:03

Kindle doesn't count as an android. Nook I suppose does, but I don't think that sold to the level of the kindle, either way, none of them are available over here. We did sell quite a few Nexus 7's though, not as many as iPad2''s though. Nexus 10's are still not available here... and even then they appear to be mostly flopping.

Why wouldnt the Kindle count? They may not be officially counted because they dont have Google apps,but they do run the Android OS.

#19 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• 6,797 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:13

27,800,000 is a 347.5% improvement over 8,000,000. Where did the 247% figure come from?

EDIT: Ok I've looked at the article. Appears they have a typo in the table. They say the improvement is 247.5%, it should be 347.5%

L2%

#20 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,934 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:24

Why wouldnt the Kindle count? They may not be officially counted because they dont have Google apps,but they do run the Android OS.

Easily modded to run the stock Android too if wanted, complete with Google, my wife's Fire runs Jelly Bean rather well. Even before that though, yea it's still Android under the hood.

#21 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,960 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:26

They don't count as android OS devices because officially they don't run the android OS, even if they do. on these metrics they would be a separate category, something you'll also see as Amazon also show off how well they do by comparing sales with android devices.

Easily modded to run the stock Android too if wanted, complete with Google, my wife's Fire runs Jelly Bean rather well. Even before that though, yea it's still Android under the hood.

Still not sold as an android device. so on these stats they are not android devices.

#22 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,088 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:28

Most (close to all) of the tablets i see in the wild are iPad. I see lot of Android Phones but tablets not so much.

#23 +techbeck

techbeck

• 19,067 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 14:42

They don't count as android OS devices because officially they don't run the android OS, even if they do. on these metrics they would be a separate category, something you'll also see as Amazon also show off how well they do by comparing sales with android devices.

Kindles do run the Android OS. Its a modified version, but at the core it is Android. It doesnt run Google Apps tho.

#24 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,733 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 16:42

Still not sold as an android device. so on these stats they are not android devices.

The numbers don't add up - they are counted as being Android devices. If you look at both charts, that becomes more apparent. They are Android devices at the core, but the Android chart itself should be split apart, as there are many different manufacturers and devices that make up the Android ecosystem.

#25 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,960 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 18:23

Kindles do run the Android OS. Its a modified version, but at the core it is Android. It doesnt run Google Apps tho.

I know that, but as far as these stats go, they are not android, since they are not a properly licensed android OS product and thus they are no Android.
Amazon don't consider them Android, Google don't, and sales don't, certain users do, regular users don't have a clue what an OS is anyway.

#26 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,734 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 02 May 2013 - 18:36

Then we should start counting almost all ATMs as Windows PC sales too. While we are at it, let's count Ford, Kia cars, many POS terminals etc.

#27 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,733 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:03

For what it's worth, the Nook HD and Nook HD+ got access to the Google Play Store/Services after a massive update.

Source

#28 +techbeck

techbeck

• 19,067 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 15:43

For what it's worth, the Nook HD and Nook HD+ got access to the Google Play Store/Services after a massive update.

Source

Yup, market share is about to go up. I made a post in back page about his earlier.

#29 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,733 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 16:26

Yup, market share is about to go up. I made a post in back page about his earlier.

I posted that before your topic :p Anyways, yeah, I can see market share for Nook/Android increasing slightly due to this. I'd be more tempted to get a Kindle if they also jumped on board with Google Play. I'm more invested in Amazon Prime, so it would be a nice complement to have with the Prime account.

#30 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:17

Good for them. This will help them tremendously.