Doctor said Chad Cross would have died had he not used a $10 snake-bite kit to extract enough deadly venom to enable him to go get help.
Chad Cross was hunting for turkey in the woods in Alabama when a venomous pit viper rattlesnake bit him in the lower left leg.
Nervous and scared, the Montgomery resident attempted to calm himself and slow his heart rate so as to prevent the quick spreading of the deadly venom throughout his body. He then made a move that saved his life. He pulled out his $10 snake-bite kit. WSFA has the incredible story:
“Best way I can describe it is someone taking a full swing with a baseball bat and hitting me in my calf,” Cross told WSFA.
“I knew I had to calm down and get my heart rate down because the faster my heart was pumping, I knew the faster than venom was going through my system.”
Cross opened his Bite & Sting venom extraction kit and read the directions. He’s carried it with him on hunting trips for years but never knew how to use it.
He stuck the tip of the extractor over the bite, pushed the plunger down and pulled it up, creating a suction that brought the venom with it. Then he went to get treatment. His on-camera demonstration shows how the skin is sucked up, and thus, the venom is sucked out.
“That’s what pulled it all out and I think saved my life,” he told WSFA.
The doctor told him as much, saying without using the kit, he would have died before he ever made it to his truck.source & video