Elementary School Cafeteria Goes Vegetarian

Why cut out meat entirely? Can't a healthy balanced diet including all food groups?

I think the issue we need to address first are portion sizes.

• Like 3

That argument works both ways. I mean chicken nuggets is not exactly food (at least the cheap ones). :/

But nobody ever claimed that was healthy so that's not much of an argument.

Guys, you have to remember, what a school cafeteria calls meat isn't meat to start with *lol* bad jokes aside, this is just stupid.... getting up there with the schools that search kids packed lunch for "inappropriate foods" aka "junk food"... you packed it who gives a crap what's in it... these schools taking over diets is just BS really...

And they're making the point that it is supposed to be informing children that there are healthy options out there? Why don't they do what Jamie Oliver was trying, and instead of swinging from one extreme (fatty foods) to another (complete vegetarian diet) why don't they try educating children on a balanced diet? Have some meat, have some veg, don't over do the fried foods and you'll be fine.

Because American's don't like being told what to do by someone that actually knows what they're talking about.

Also, remember those shows he did? He made some chicken nuggets in front of some kids. Some with 100% breast meat, some with "pink slime". They all "Ew'd" at the pink slime, but when they tasted both, they ALL wanted the pink slime nuggets...

You just can't help some people.

• Like 2

I can't really imagine my life without meat. I'm not an expert and I'm not going trough details, I think only that we are omnivorous and meat should be always part of our diet.

Wow you guys are sure crazy for your meat. How much meat do you eat? It's just lunchtime not dinner.

I can't remember eating meaty sandwiches for lunch and was included in school meals twice a week at most...

At least I would know my kid wasn't scoffing a pastie or some rubbish.

Wow you guys are sure crazy for your meat. How much meat do you eat? It's just lunchtime not dinner.

I can't remember eating meaty sandwiches for lunch and was included in school meals twice a week at most...

At least I would know my kid wasn't scoffing a pastie or some rubbish.

I consume about half a cow a day... and a fourth of a pig.... what that's odd to you? :p

I consume about half a cow a day... and a fourth of a pig.... what that's odd to you? :p

So do you moo or oink more? :D

So if you don't provide options for vegetarians, it's discrimination. But when you don't provide meat, it's ok.

I'd rather have my kids fed religion over this useless fad diet that is really unhealthy

Uh huh. Fad. Right.

I don't know why anyone would think increasing the amount of fruits and vegetables in one's diet would be "really unhealthy". Totally looking forward to see how this statement is substantiated.

Completely false. A properly prepared vegetarian diet is entirely healthy and safe.

Well z0phi3l's comments are kind of ironic because vegetarianism has largely been a religious thing; its been seen as another form of abstinence. Even certain Christian orders have been vegetarian.

But maybe more important, it was unusual for the common person to eat that much meat in their diet until very recently .. meat was once much more expensive to buy than it is now. Even my mother, who grew up in Eastern Europe, only ate meat once a week when she was growing up. The only reason we're able to eat meat every day, several meals a day, is because of stuff like factory farming. For some reason there's a lot of anti-vegetarianism around and people overstate, exaggerate the importance of meat in a diet.

I still don't know why they're pushing this stuff on kids. z0phi3l was still somewhat on the mark; any school that that would set up a voluntary time for prayer as an "alternative" would get slapped down, but apparently its okay to push vegetarianism as an alternative. Some psychologists say prayer is healthy, and vegetarianism is also spiritually and religiously motivated, so whats the difference?

No one is forcing the kids to be vegetarian, they are simply offering more healthy foods for the kids.

Does anyone actually bother to read the article? Meat isn't being banned or discouraged.

Would be a valid point if we were not talking about school cafeteria school. They can't make mashed potatoes without making it extremely unhealthy.

Then that is a problem with poor preparation of the food, not a problem with vegetarianism itself.

This sounds more like cost cutting... quality meat is expensive.

So is fresh produce, much of which is perishable and has to be used within a few days of purchase.

For some reason there's a lot of anti-vegetarianism around and people overstate, exaggerate the importance of meat in a diet.

Yes. I don't know why this is. Almost everything that has been anti-veg. in this topic is absolutely false. People seem to be fanatically opposed to vegetarianism.

I still don't know why they're pushing this stuff on kids. z0phi3l was still somewhat on the mark; any school that that would set up a voluntary time for prayer as an "alternative" would get slapped down, but apparently its okay to push vegetarianism as an alternative. Some psychologists say prayer is healthy, and vegetarianism is also spiritually and religiously motivated, so whats the difference?

How is offering kids healthy food (they're free to bring their own food) and forcing kids to pray remotely the same thing? Because some people are vegetarians because of their religion? That's a rather long bow to draw.

How is offering kids healthy food (they're free to bring their own food) and forcing kids to pray remotely the same thing? Because some people are vegetarians because of their religion? That's a rather long bow to draw.

Because kids aren't forced to pray, and it isn't made into a religious thing. All prayer is religious?

Because kids aren't forced to pray, and it isn't made into a religious thing. All prayer is religious?

Exactly what I said. At schools that did this, a moment of silent time was given where kids could have quiet reflection or pray or give thanks or whatever the kid wanted to do. Not eating meat is mainly an ethical or spiritual choice, you can eat a meat diet and be perfectly healthy. That's why I don't see why there's a big difference.

How did this become a topic about religion? How often are schools mandating moments of silence? The only times I remember that happening when I was in school was on things like remembrance day (11/11) and that was to remember fallen soldiers.

Providing kids with healthy food and facilitating prayer time are two different things.

How did this become a topic about religion? How often are schools mandating moments of silence? The only times I remember that happening when I was in school was on things like remembrance day (11/11) and that was to remember fallen soldiers.

Providing kids with healthy food and facilitating prayer time are two different things.

You don't need to eat vegetarian to eat healthy, though.

By the way, taxes do help fund the student lunch program. And the funding is intended for poorer families who might not have much disposable income and need aid, whose kids will be forced to eat the food or forgo the aid.

And poorer families usually can't afford fruit and veg because they are usually expensive. That is a point in favour of increasing fruit and veg in school cafeterias.

The amount of ignorance in these two posts is mind numbing.

I more feel the fact that people are reading my "can" statements as "will definitely" is actually the ignorance here.

It is still fact that we were designed to eat both animals and plants, regardless of whatever point anyone wants to argue.

^ Who said we are 'designed' to eat animals ?

Because we can, does not mean we must. :laugh:

Will be bad for my nephew since he cannot get the protein he needs. Why my sister is no longer a vegetarian.

For the love of god --- many plant foods contain proteins -- where do you think the cows get it ... ?

I more feel the fact that people are reading my "can" statements as "will definitely" is actually the ignorance here.

It is still fact that we were designed to eat both animals and plants, regardless of whatever point anyone wants to argue.

The word "designed" here is obviously a point of contention, but I don't want to go down that road.

You still made the point on the first page that a vegetarian diet can "cause harm in the long run". A point you've yet to corroborate.