22 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,127 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:32

Intel Could Buy AMD as x86 Microprocessors Lose Share to ARM

As media tablets and smartphones are on-track to outsell personal computers in the coming years, the significance of x86 processors, exclusively designed and made by Advanced Micro Devices and Intel Corp., is getting lower. As a result, long-rumoured Intel’s wish to buyout its only rival is getting more realistic, according to a source in the financial community. Due to the renewed acquisition rumour and AMD’s gains in consoles and low-power computers, stock of the company is growing.

According to a source of the Tech Trader Daily blog who could not be quoted by name, the persistent rumor that Intel will buy AMD, might suddenly be thinkable since the field of computing is now being defined more broadly than just the personal computer and the x86 micro-architecture, which means there are no more as many anti-trust issues as before. It may be unlikely that Intel and AMD are interested in consolidation just now, but as the share of devices based on ARM architecture is increasing, so are the chances that Intel and AMD could merge.

“Although the rumor is not a new one, it is in circulation again today,” the source is quoted as saying.

Both AMD and Intel have seen moderate success in media tablets and smartphones because of various reasons. As a result, sales of the two semiconductor designers are either stagnating or even decreasing these days.

The two companies have a number of unique advantages, which, if combined, could improve positions of the newly formed company. For example, AMD has unique graphics processing and heterogeneous processing intellectual property, whereas Intel has leading-edge manufacturing capacities and the world’s best manufacturing technologies.

Recently AMD scored huge wins as it has been chosen as the only supplier of custom system-on-chips for Microsoft Xbox Infinity (Xbox Next console code-named Durango) as well as Sony PlayStation 4 (code-named Orbis) video game consoles due later this year.

AMD’s stock was up 14.18% to $3.22 on May 1.

AMD and Intel did not comment on the news-story.

Source: xbitlabs.com

#2 Tony.

Tony.

Neowinian Senior

• 6,983 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:34

I doubt this would happen because of anti-competition laws.

#3 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

• 3,676 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:39

like the competition laws that stopped oracle from buying sun microsystems? Or that stopped orange and t-mobile to merge to become EE or that let almost all the harddrive manufacturers to merge resulting in extortionate prices? Regulators are corrupt so it is a distinct possibility that this could happen.

#4 Hurmoth

Hurmoth

Neowinian Senior

• 20,914 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:44

like the competition laws that stopped oracle from buying sun microsystems? Or that stopped orange and t-mobile to merge to become EE? Regulators are corrupt so it is a distinct possibility that this could happen.

What anti-competition laws would have prevented any of those? AMD & Intel are the only major x86 producers, there is no competition outside of those two companies. In the server markets, there's a lot of competition, so there's nothing anti-competitive about Oracle buying Sun.

Also, Orange & T-Mobile aren't US companies, so our anti-competitive laws wouldn't have made a difference there.

#5 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• 5,564 posts
  • Phone: SQNY D5503

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:44

I also doubt that regulators would approve such a thing. If they do, that means Intel gets Radeon division as well, I guess? What they're going to do with it? APU - well, that's settled. High-end GPUs, though. And, more importantly, being a fanboi, I'll have a hard time choosing no sides at all.

#6 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:45

The point of the article is that with ARM processors now abundant, there's a different sort of competition going on.

#7 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:45

Yeah but aren't AMD and Intel the only ones shipping x86 CPUs?

If Intel buys AMD then only Intel will be releasing x86 CPUs and no one else will be able to because of all the patents they have.

#8 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,048 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:50

Intel shouldn't be allowed to have a monopoly.

I'd rather see AMD continue, and Intel go under. :p

#9 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• 5,564 posts
  • Phone: SQNY D5503

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:53

To be fair, there's still VIA. Not that they are doing anything serious. And their ten year agreement is about to end this year.

#10 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:57

If Intel buys AMD then only Intel will be releasing x86 CPUs and no one else will be able to because of all the patents they have.

VIA still exists, in some form.

#11 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• 5,302 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:57

Ipads , iphones, and arm tablets do not have x86 cpu's in them. So there is still competition. X86 doesn't matter as much as computer competition does.

#12 +Zag L.

Zag L.

Neowinian

• 872 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:58

I think because of the decline in traditional CPU usage/sales and the high amount market share now going to ARM devices, the argument could be made that an Intel/AMD merger/buyout would NOT be an antitrust violation. 'x86' as a product has ample competition from ARM devices in the general marketplace. While Intel/AMD would be a single provider for x86 devices, the consumer has plenty of other purchase opportunities for consuming or creating digital content. I'm not saying I'd like to see it happen, I can just see a way the regulators may ALLOW it to happen.

#13 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 10,024 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 02 May 2013 - 17:59

I don't see this happening.

#14 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,362 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 02 May 2013 - 18:04

VIA produces low end x86 CPUs for the embedded market that run slow without fans BUT high efficiency, they are not competition to intel and they pay intel to produce them.

#15 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,082 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 18:18

Intel shouldn't be allowed to have a monopoly.

I'd rather see AMD continue, and Intel go under. :p

So you rather AMD have a monopoly?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!