• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 MeowPurr

MeowPurr

Neowinian

• 192 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 May 2013 - 21:32

Oh God no please God PLEASE DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN. We need competition.

#17 Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• 633 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 02 May 2013 - 21:45

OMG this would be the worst thing to happen to pc's in like forever. THE ONLY REASON cpu's are as cheap as they are is BECAUSE OF AMD.....

The greed dogs at intel would have us by the balls....

#18 BillyJack

BillyJack

Neowinian

• 755 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 22:11

I use to buy AMD CPUs when they were more closer to Intel's CPUs performance, but now with Intel's CPUs so much better in performance it just don't make sense. I like the underdog and competition but Intel's CPUs are way better. I use to buy ATI's video cards for the same reason but when Windows 8 came out and AMD decided to cut support for the 4000 series and older graphic cards, I got ****ed at them. My 4870x2 was fine and there is no reason I should have to upgrade it. Now I will be buying Nvidia which I feel is the better card right now anyway. So due to all of the following reasons I rather see Intel buy Nvidia. That would be a great. Wow would they dominate. There still would be competition with Intel and AMD in the CPU and GPU market.

#19 Ci7

Ci7

Neowinian Senior

• 8,215 posts
  • Phone: Sony XZ

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:16

when they merge it would be a matter of time before Computers become sentient and obliterate humanity :p

#20 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:47

Bah. I'm a die-hard Intel fanboi and even I didn't start crapping in here with "huzzaa" and such. But we do see "prices hurr durr" and "competishun hurr durr" again. With all caps no less.

#21 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,321 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:56

I very much doubt this would be allowed. Intel has already been found guilty of anti-competitive behaviour on numerous occasions and buying AMD certainly wouldn't improve the situation. ARM processors may be more popular but they aren't an option for desktop systems - any buyout would destroy competition in large segments of the computing industry.

#22 UseLess

UseLess

Neowinian

• 359 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:09

I don't think "being allowed" would matter...I can't imagine why Intel would do it...other than to acquire the Radeon IP. AMD as a company, as much as I don't have anything against it, is a lame duck. Their offerings and technology can't hold a candle to Intel. Most computers these days are sold with 'Intel inside' (hehe do they still use that??). I seriously doubt how long AMD (in its current form) will be around for...

#23 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,369 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:32

AMD's managed to (possibly) make it's way into a net-gen games console, that goes in their favour. AMD are also exploring RISC cores like ARM whereas intel aren't. Not sure if they still do but AMD used to make other silicon stuff as well, FLASH chips and whatnot...
Actually I always remember them from the Cobalt RaQ, you could upgrade intel flash chips to strongbolt 2's firmware but they advised against doing it with AMD chips as they seemed to fail and cause the equipment to become a door stop.