EA to skip Wii U with popular 'Madden' game this year

7DOCELW.jpg

Long one of the world's most popular gaming franchises, EA will be skipping Nintendo's Wii U for its Madden games this year.

The company released Madden NFL 2013 for the console last year, but the new Madden NFL 25 will not be making an appearance.

Speaking to Nintendo World Report, an EA rep says "we will not be releasing a Wii U version of Madden NFL in 2013. However, we have a strong partnership with Nintendo and will continue to evaluate opportunities for delivering additional Madden NFL products for Nintendo fans in the future."

The news is certainly not good for Nintendo, who has struggle mightily to sell Wii U consoles.

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2013/05/03/ea_to_skip_wii_u_with_popular_madden_game_this_year

At this rate the Wii U is going to end up as a dedicated Mario and Zelda machine. We've already seen retailers slash the price of the Wii U for the second time in the six months since launch and Nintendo really needs to be doing more to attract third-party games if it hopes to compete, especially those with a history of being multi-platform like Madden. Things will only get more difficult in the future when games are developed primarily for the PS4 and X720, as the Wii U simply doesn't have the power to compete with them. Nintendo still doesn't have an exclusive core FPS to rival Halo or Killzone, nor a racing game to rival Forza or Gran Turismo.

Nintendo produces a lot of quality games but the audience is simply too limited with the company's current approach. I think it would be better for gamers if Nintendo followed the example of Sega and moved entirely into software development, especially considering that Nintendo has a much stronger collection of IP.

• Like 2

I've not seen any price cut for the Nintendo Wii U around here, still sell at the same price. Same thing for the PS Vita, still $249 here. Both console don't sell well....

Nintendo will have to do something soon, the new Xbox and PS4 are going to kill any chance they have.

3DS had poor sales till they cut the price in the UK, its a bit of a slap in the face for those of us who bought it for ?300 not that long ago, but once it starts getting price cuts it should start to take off.

Nintendo has always been the Mario and Zelda machine for a good few generations now, with devs focusing on next-gen I don't see the Wii U being any different than the Wii.

Retailers around here didn't slash the prices of the Wii U, it's still the same price as when it came out... you'd think Wal-Mart would of done it also if Asda did it as they are the same company now... but nope, Wal-Mart didn't lower the price basic is still $299 and deluxe is still $350...

But, pay $299 or $350 to play only Mario and Zelda? Not for me. I'm quite able to skip those 2 and skip the Wii U.

Hardly BS, why waste hundreds of thousands of dollars porting the game to Wii U with such a small install base. It hasn't even broke 3m sales yet, even the Vita has sold nearly 2m more.

• Like 1

Don't blame EA, Blame the user base of the Wii-U, If they cannot make a profit off of it then they wont do it, simple business practice.

Hardly BS, why waste hundreds of thousands of dollars porting the game to Wii U with such a small install base. It hasn't even broke 3m sales yet, even the Vita has sold nearly 2m more.

There is also a 9 month difference in the 2 release dates. I cant say I blame EA, I mean Madden would most likely be the last game I would ever pick up for the Wii U

There is also a 9 month difference in the 2 release dates. I cant say I blame EA, I mean Madden would most likely be the last game I would ever pick up for the Wii U

yet Madden or any football (American) game would make the most sense on the Wii U because you have the second screen to do your "secret" play making on it I duno, just seems like one of those things that would actually work with the 2nd screen to me

yet Madden or any football (American) game would make the most sense on the Wii U because you have the second screen to do your "secret" play making on it I duno, just seems like one of those things that would actually work with the 2nd screen to me

Oh, I def agree that there are some cool things that can be done, like hot routes and almost make your own plays. Madden has just become a huge online type game and people are going to stick with the standard controller and play against your friends on xbl or psn.

At this rate the Wii U is going to end up as a dedicated Mario and Zelda machine. We've already seen retailers slash the price of the Wii U for the second time in the six months since launch and Nintendo really needs to be doing more to attract third-party games if it hopes to compete, especially those with a history of being multi-platform like Madden. Things will only get more difficult in the future when games are developed primarily for the PS4 and X720, as the Wii U simply doesn't have the power to compete with them. Nintendo still doesn't have an exclusive core FPS to rival Halo or Killzone, nor a racing game to rival Forza or Gran Turismo.

Nintendo produces a lot of quality games but the audience is simply too limited with the company's current approach. I think it would be better for gamers if Nintendo followed the example of Sega and moved entirely into software development, especially considering that Nintendo has a much stronger collection of IP.

You don't waste any time continuing to harp on how you beleive nintendo is somehow in as bad of a spot as sega was(hint: they weren't before, and they're still not) and how you so desperately dream of them going 3rd party, do you?

A platform that's been out much longer has sold more? NO WAY! Next you'll tell me something like "water is wet".

As for why they should, it's simple. Because 3rd parties have a responsibility too. And if they don't bother to play their part they are no less responsible for the system doing badly than nintendo is.

You don't waste any time continuing to harp on how you beleive nintendo is somehow in as bad of a spot as sega was(hint: they weren't before, and they're still not) and how you so desperately dream of them going 3rd party, do you?

Nintendo shares are down 77% from five years ago, while the Wii U has significantly underperformed expectations (as did the 3DS). Competition is now much more fierce than it has ever been and Nintendo is struggling to attract third-party developers. There's nothing "desperate" about my criticism of Nintendo and many analysts have expressed concerns.

As for why they should, it's simple. Because 3rd parties have a responsibility too. And if they don't bother to play their part they are no less responsible for the system doing badly than nintendo is.

It's not up to third-party developers to ensure that the Wii U is a success - it's up to Nintendo. Unfortunately Nintendo has a history of being difficult to work with, as it has been notoriously opposed to mature content (a stance which has softened) and worked poorly with indies. At the end of the day publishers are interested in making money and if the Wii U isn't a profitable platform then there's no incentive to support it.

But that only makes sense on same screen multiplayer. and the WiiU currently only fully supports one pad, partly a second.

It's not up to third-party developers to ensure that the Wii U is a success - it's up to Nintendo. Unfortunately Nintendo has a history of being difficult to work with, as it has been notoriously opposed to mature content (a stance which has softened) and worked poorly with indies. At the end of the day publishers are interested in making money and if the Wii U isn't a profitable platform then there's no incentive to support it.

I didn't say it was up to 3rd parties alone to ensure it is. I said they have a part in helping it get there. If they'd rather sit on their asses and not try, then they have some blame as well and have no right to complain about it doing badly.

And while yes, nintendo has been difficult to work with in the past, i doubt that's the entirety of the problem now.

This may only be a wacky conjecture but I think EA is still royally ****ed off at Nintendo for not going with Origin for the Nintendo Network backend for the WiiU. Seeing as ME3 hasn't got any other Downloadable content since the content was preloaded on the disc as far as I know.

To be honest they didn't really give the Wii U a fair shake with the Madden game they released on it. They touted the infinity engine as the big new thing and then failed to bring that to the Wii U. Not to mention the game came out early on in the consoles life when you're already dealing with a limited audience (I also doubt people were buying Wii U's to play Madden, though it did have some nice features). Much like any other multiplatform game (within reason), we'll see this on the Wii U as the install base continues to grow and they learn how to better develop for the console.

Lets be honest Wii U is complete failure as console. I don't really see why publishers should give it the time of day. I hope nintendo gets out console race I just focus on games.

And while yes, nintendo has been difficult to work with in the past, i doubt that's the entirety of the problem now.

I'd argue it's entirely the problem. Nintendo were far too focused on 1st party content and shunned 3rd party, almost arrogantly treating it as if it was inferior and hardly worth their time.. Now it is coming around to bite them.