• 5,348 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 18:36

works fine in ie10, win8

#17 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

• 2,349 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:47

ITT UK politics. It's always interesting to see what arguments people get in across the pond, and reassures me because we're not alone in dealing with partisan bull****.

#18 SiCKX

SiCKX

Cannibal

• 1,314 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:03

We have benefits programs that you can apply for online, but it supports up to Windows 8, OS X 10.8.X, and Linux, across Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer 10... It complains when Chrome is used, but it allows it to work. This is in our local state, in the US, though, as each State in the U.S. handles benefits separately.

But you don't have Marmite while laughing at your citizens.

#19 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,949 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:21

It's rather shocking that any website could be so restrictive, let alone one which is crucial to so many people. There is simply no excuse for such limitations and one has to question the competence of the people running it.

However, it should be pointed out that DLA is being replaced by PIP and that should be available through the Gov.uk website, which has won awards for design. The biggest problem with government websites has been that they've all been run by different departments with different levels of funding and different expectations, meaning that the quality of the websites varies wildly - Gov.uk is the first attempt to centralise them and I've personally found it to be very useful.

#20 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 17,352 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:23

The biggest problem with government websites has been that they've all been run by different departments with different levels of funding and different expectations, meaning that the quality of the websites varies wildly - Gov.uk is the first attempt to centralise them and I've personally found it to be very useful.

I thought that was done when Directgov was launched back in 2004? Which is now Gov.uk.

#21 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,949 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:38

I thought that was done when Directgov was launched back in 2004? Which is now Gov.uk.

I don't think that was ever intended to replace all of the services like Gov.uk was, though I could be mistaken.

#22 Coagulated

Coagulated

Neowinian

• 479 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:38

Talk about sensationalism. When I was unemployed I used their horrendous web site on a multitude of different devices, operating systems and browsers. The web site is garbage, but it is perfectly functional, one of the main issues I had with being unemployed was trying to "work" with the desk monkeys in the Job Centre and their outdated systems. Half of them are incapable of simple data input, and everything they use is so outdated that it becomes a nightmare if you have to deliver something to them electronically.

Nothing frustrated me more being unemployed than paying my fortnightly visit to see the mentally inept dribblers that staff the British Job Centres. Especially when they'd put their Sherlock Holmes cap on and start playing detective trying to trip you up about your job searching, then 2 minutes later some scum bag still mashed from the night before would saunter in, say three words and head back to his pit no questions asked. You're just like "Hang on, you'll grill the person who could replace you in a heart beat and is actually searching for a job, but when Smackhead Sally and his entourage of baby-strollers turn up toting McDonald's bags and knock-off cigarettes, he gets a free pass?!"

#23 BobSlob

BobSlob

Neowinian

• 191 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:22

Why is this an issue?.. according to neowin, XP and IE6 were the last good versions of both Windows and Internet Explorer. :dizzy:

#24 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,674 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 13:03

That was my understanding too.

#25 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

• 1,870 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 14:40

But you don't have Marmite while laughing at your citizens.

Very, very true.

#26 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

• 2,278 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 14:53

Its prolly based on the fact that most of the old public library pcs are XP ie6, and all the claimants with no job, no money, no internet will have to go somewhere to sign on/claim online, maybe?

#27 Original Poster

Original Poster

Systems Developer

• 3,022 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:20

I think UKIP voters would struggle with a pen and paper let alone a computer.

i am a UKIP supporter and will be a voter .... I would like to know why you think this?

#28 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,674 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:57

i am a UKIP supporter and will be a voter .... I would like to know why you think this?

Where do you want me to start? It's not particularly intelligent to vote for a single issue party with no policies that uses xenophobia to attract voters. It's not very intelligent to vote for a party that campaigns on national issues in local elections. It's not very intelligent to support a party that has seen half its MEPs convicted of fraud and turns out former BNP members as candidates in local elections.

UKIP is just another far-right party made up of Little Englanders, racists and poorly educated people who fear the world around them. It doesn't offer any solutions and just attracts right-wingers who want to blame their problems on foreigners. It's telling that UKIP is supported by the EDL and the BNP.

#29 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• 17,352 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 05 May 2013 - 16:00

Where do you want me to start? It's not particularly intelligent to vote for a single issue party with no policies that uses xenophobia to attract voters. It's not very intelligent to vote for a party that campaigns on national issues in local elections. It's not very intelligent to support a party that has seen half its MEPs convicted of fraud and turns out former BNP members as candidates in local elections.

UKIP is just another far-right party made up of Little Englanders, racists and poorly educated people who fear the world around them. It doesn't offer any solutions and just attracts right-wingers who want to blame their problems on foreigners. It's telling that UKIP is supported by the EDL and the BNP.

Funny you mention intelligence, there was a paper published over four years ago detailing out the average IQ of voters of the main political parties over here, and the least intelligent voters were UKIP and BNP (with non-voters + voters of smaller parties coming out as more intelligent than BNP voters): http://www.guardian....iberaldemocrats

#30 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• 6,674 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 16:03

Funny you mention intelligence, there was a paper published over four years ago detailing out the average IQ of voters of the main political parties over here, and the least intelligent voters were UKIP and BNP (with non-voters + voters of smaller parties coming out as more intelligent than BNP voters): http://www.guardian....iberaldemocrats

It doesn't surprise me.