Debian Wheezy Released

Just weird that as many ditros as I've tried, I've never come across one that didn't have sudo installed from the get go. I usually stick with debian/slackware based distros. I guess this stable version of Debian IS way behind the times!!

Wheezy is new. It's Squeeze (6.0) that's the old stable version. :)

Just weird that as many ditros as I've tried, I've never come across one that didn't have sudo installed from the get go. I usually stick with debian/slackware based distros. I guess this stable version of Debian IS way behind the times!!

I don't recall debian ever having sudo installed by default. If you use a derivative - that derivative probably installed it.

Personally, I only really use linux for servers, and I'd never put unstable/not thoroughly tested software into production - hence why I stick to the stable branch.

I don't care for using sudo tbh. Give me a proper root shell for administrative tasks instead.

Debian has sudo, just you aren't added to the sudo user by default.

Debian has sudo, just you aren't added to the sudo user by default.

I had to install it manually when i installed Debian 7 with XFCE

I am really liking Debian, i moved from fedora after getting annoyed with little things going wrong

Debian seems faster and a lot more stable

I am really liking Debian, i moved from fedora after getting annoyed with little things going wrong

Ah, because it is installed in Gnome. That might be it.

Yes,

That's what I used also, XFCE. Personally, don't care if I have to use su or sudo, just caught me off guard and I SUCK at the command line anyway. In fact, despise it!!

Would you recommend this for a Linux noob?

I'm using Ubuntu and have also tried out Linux Mint.

I'd recommend ANYTHING over that bloated Ubuntu!! It's not bad for getting your feet wet, but that's about it, IMO.

I'm gone for now folks but DEFINITELY appreciate the replies and help!! :)

Thank you

I don't care for using sudo tbh. Give me a proper root shell for administrative tasks instead.

Same here. I use it but I'd rather not.

While it is certainly possible to install Debian without sudo, the Debian Installer will install it for you and give the user you setup during the installation sudo privileges if you do not enter a root password when prompted by the installer (effectively preventing anyone from logging into the root account directly). Although this behavior is clearly noted in both the installation manual and in the description of the root password box in the installer itself, I can understand how you missed it; many people do. Also, while it is possible to add yourself directly to the sudoers file via visudo like many others have mentioned, there is a much easier method provided by the default Debian sudoers file: the sudo group. Rather than editing the file directly, all you must do is add any user you wish to have administrative privileges to the sudo group.

# Become root.
su -

# Install sudo and its optional support packages.
apt-get install sudo gksu

# Add yourself to the sudo group if you have not done so already. This must be done from a root prompt.
usermod -a -G sudo cork1958

# Reboot to make the changes take affect.
# Technically a reboot is not necessary, but there would be more steps if you did not reboot; this is easier.
reboot

# gksu is the utility that graphically prompts for superuser access before launching applications or changing settings that require elevated privileges.
# When you specify a root password in the installer, gksu will be configured to prompt for a root password.
# With sudo enabled you want gksu to prompt for your user password instead, then try to elevate privileges using sudo.
# Run gksu-properties and change "Authentication mode" to "sudo" and "Grab mode" to "enable".
# This must be run as your user, NOT as root.
gksu-properties
[/CODE]

Holy smokes!

You made that so simple xorangekiller, a monkey could've followed that! And I did!! :)

You obviously read the part where I said I'm a completer command line illiterate and despise it. That's wording it a little strong, but I'm just not into that.

Now, back tot that flash issue.

Thank you

Xorangekiller is good. He helped me with a load of problems. :)

Well, I sure as heck hope he's good enough, or anyone else, to help get this flash player issue resolved. ;)

Really liking this distro of Linux and would hate to get so frustrated that I resort to reinstalling Windows back on this machine. This machine is flying faster than it ever has. It's never really any version of Windows I've had on it, for some reason. Personally, I think this crap AMD processor is the culprit.

Now, back tot that flash issue.

I can give you a procedure for installing Adobe Flash Player 10.3 on your computer, but I need a few more details first. Are you running the 32-bit (i386) or 64-bit (AMD64) version of Wheezy? Which browser do you primarily use?

32bit, (i386), Wheezy and use Iceweasel, Opera and Chrome about equally. Actually, probably Opera mostly.

Hope you can make this as easy as that first procedure! Atually, I know it's not totally difficult, but like I said before I'm TOTALLY illiterate with command line stuff!

Thank you

I'm still not convinced that installing an old version of Adobe Flash Player is the right solution, but I do have a method for installing Adobe Flash Player 10.3 for Opera 12.15 in Debian Wheezy i386.

Sources:

Opera 12.15 for Linux i386

Archived versions of Adobe Flash Player

Installation of Plug-ins for Opera on Linux

Procedure:

# Optionally move to your downloads folder before you start to download anything.
# Even if you chose not to do this, you will still need to be in a writable directory (such as /tmp or ~).
cd ~/Downloads

# Install the latest version of Opera 12.
# Obviously if you already have Opera installed you may skip this step.
wget http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net/opera/linux/1215/opera_12.15.1748_i386.deb
sudo apt-get install gdebi
sudo gdebi -n opera_12.15.1748_i386.deb

# Remove the latest version of Adobe Flash Player from the repository.
sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree

# Install the latest archived version of Adobe Flash Player 10.3.
# Although it would be possible to install it for all browsers, it is somewhat simpler to install it locally for a single browser.
# In this case we will install it specifically for the current user's installation of Opera 12.
wget http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp_10.3.183.86_archive.zip
unzip fp_10.3.183.86_archive.zip
pushd fp_10.3.183.86_archive/10_3_r183_86
tar -xzf flashplayer_10_3r183_86_linux.tar.gz
mkdir -p ~/.opera/plugins
cp libflashplayer.so ~/.opera/plugins
popd
rm -rf fp_10.3.183.86_archive

# Open Opera and navigate to the plugins page.
# After a few seconds you should see "Shockwave Flash 10.3 r183" listed as an installed plugin.
opera 'opera:plugins'
[/CODE]

[b]Screenshot:[/b]

bd7de2955905f66c21ba8a5c904b1f93.png

I hear you there about this NOT being the best thing to do as we all know how insecure/buggy flash has always been, but I do need it for my weather sites. In one of my searches for trying to figure this out on my own, as far as flash on a computer that doesn't have/support SSE, I think I remember seeing where this has been a known issue for over 2 years? Ridiculous, if I'm remembering correctly.

I thank you very much for the help and will let you know how it turns out. Could take a few days before I'm back on that computer, but will let you know, regardless. If I get up early enough tomorrow, might have time to try it then.

Thanks again!!

Is 3d acceleration working correctly with virtual machines yet? For a while, you'd get no background and other effects. I installed latest Ubuntu but now the previous missing parts are displaying but it's not displaying the mouse.

I've been running this in a virtual and I am impressed, last time I touched Debian was version 4.

Is it possible during the installation process to add/change repositories, and install non-free items (Intel iwl4965 WiFi card, Ricoh R5C822 card reader)?

Is 3d acceleration working correctly with virtual machines yet? For a while, you'd get no background and other effects. I installed latest Ubuntu but now the previous missing parts are displaying but it's not displaying the mouse.

I've had decent results with VMWare anyway, both Linux guest, Winders host and the other way around... even did some passable gaming as a larf in a Win8 VM. VirtualBox is workable too but (at least on my hardware) VMWare's 3D acceleration is much better and gave me a lot less headaches.

Is it possible during the installation process to add/change repositories, and install non-free items (Intel iwl4965 WiFi card, Ricoh R5C822 card reader)?

Yes, you can add non-free firmware during installation. There are netboot images available that have the firmware available, or you can download it from here and place it in the firmware directory on a flash drive to make it available during installation.