How long do you keep boxes for?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,818 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:16

I like to keep my boxes for my electronics, but it's getting to the point where it's getting annoying. How long do you keep your boxes for?

#2 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• 12,925 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:19

Until either it's too late to return it to the store or the box falls out of the closet and hits me on the head, whichever comes first. :)

#3 Louisifer

Louisifer

'-'

• 584 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 15:29

That depends on the item.

Large items like a TV box I will keep till next bin day. (It scares me that people just put the whole box next to the bin as a giant invitation to thieves)

Small items like boxes for components for computer I will keep for about 6 months, If its shown no issues I don't see the point in keeping it any longer than that.

#4 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,818 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:05

I have like boxes for my xbox, digital camera (casio exilim), video camera (bought in 2009), a few iphone/ipad boxes, nike fuel band box, 70" tv box, vacuum box, etc.. I know I'm going to keep the iPhone and iPad boxes for sure.

#5 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,177 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:18

less then a day, I throw them in the recycling after checking the product works.

#6 Brutechicken

Brutechicken

Neowinian

• 14 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:45

I keep my boxes for about 5 years then throw them away! Its good to have to box in case you resell the item!

#7 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,159 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:48

too long... Usually warranty period.

#8 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,379 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:56

I keep them for a long time but only for reselling purposes. I find it's easier to sell something when you still have the original packaging. If it's something I know I won't sell, then I'll keep it until I clean out my basement.

#9 JHBrown

JHBrown

Neowinian Senior

• 3,820 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s/Galaxy Note 3

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:22

I keep my computer build boxes until the next upgrade(a year normally). I get more people buying the old parts on eBay when they see I still have the original box.

#10 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

• 1,437 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:27

So long it's embarrassing for some.

I was actually thinking I need to get rid of some of my old software boxes, too. It's not like I have a ton, I just pick random ones to hold on to. I'm pretty sure I still have a box from Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (released in 1999).

#11 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,859 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:29

As long as it takes me to fold it and put it into my recycling bin :p

#12 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

• 2,905 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:03

That depends on the item.

Large items like a TV box I will keep till next bin day. (It scares me that people just put the whole box next to the bin as a giant invitation to thieves)

Most people have a TV. You could pick a hosue at random to steal a TV from really.

#13 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

• 2,219 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:44

So long it's embarrassing for some.

I was actually thinking I need to get rid of some of my old software boxes, too. It's not like I have a ton, I just pick random ones to hold on to. I'm pretty sure I still have a box from Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (released in 1999).

ill raise u 1999 tiberian sun box to a 92/93 97 boxed copy of dune and dune 2 white label double pack still

#14 Ash

Ash

Neowinian Fanatic

• 2,093 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:11

too long... Usually warranty period.

This for hardware, TV, etc boxes....

Software boxes like for old PC games I fold up and leave em in a bin. If I ever move somewhere I have a TON of extra space I would like to put em all out on shelves.

#15 Symal Taneous

Symal Taneous

Neowinian

• 389 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4S, Nexus 7

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:42

TV and larger items, until I'm satisfied I won't have to return a defective product. Other stuff like computer components, usually a few weeks, just in case something goes wrong. Boxes that can easily be re-used, I tend to keep for a while. I have a ton of shoe boxes in my closet, I use them for other stuff though, like pictures, dead batteries (until it's time to bring them to a battery recycling program), receipts, other smaller boxes, stuff that I don't really use very often, but often enough that I don't want to get rid of them.