• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:15

Until said product gets replaced so I can sell it off boxed

#17 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:36

Despite their size I keep boxes of cases and monitors. For transport original polystyrene packing is probably the best safeguard against anything less than a meteor impact. Older Samsung HDD plastic whatchacallits are useful for screws, adapters, cable ties and other little things. Other boxes aren't useful at all, but now that I look, I have kept embarrassingly most of them :pinch:

And then I also keep certain boxes for things I don't even have (GTX 690 being one, sad that I couldn't get hands on Titan's box)... just to keep me motivated, I guess :laugh:

#18 moloko

moloko

Neowinian Senior

• 2,702 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:45

If I know I will resell it. I keep forever. Helps a bit with resale. For my tvs I just toss them as soon as I get them. We got the space so it not an issue.

#19 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,554 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:46

Generally "until the warranty is up on the item" is my rule of thumb... but by then I forget about the box, so I just end up with boxes from ten years ago sitting around. I really should go clean some of that stuff out...

#20 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,540 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:47

Until the standard warranty runs out :p

#21 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,885 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 17:22

Until they spontaneously combust. :wacko:

#22 DaDude

DaDude

Neowinian

• 1,202 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 17:35

I like to keep my boxes for my electronics, but it's getting to the point where it's getting annoying. How long do you keep your boxes for?

Until the return window expires, which is usually 30 days.

#23 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,106 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 07 May 2013 - 17:43

I have a rather nice process when it comes to keeping boxes, For consoles i keep them for the life of the product so that i can transport them in their original packaging, For the television I folded the box up to save on space and Kept it for as long as the warranty lasted. Small components I generally keep for 30 days (warranty or store return timeframe) and the same is for most thing, when the warranty is up the box can go.

#24 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,169 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 17:47

If there's the possibility of reselling the item, I'll keep the box since it helps retain value. Otherwise I'll get rid of them and save the space.
I'll also keep boxes for TVs since it's easier to transport them in the original box.

#25 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,755 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 17:57

Depends what it is.

Most boxes I keep in the loft. TV's, vacuum cleaner, food processor, camera, new monitor, window vac, kettle, meat mincer, iron... literally everything.

I do this because:

1) If and when I move house, it'll all go back in the original box to transport safely. Plus, when I unpack it again it'll be extra special rather than just getting it out a random box.
2) If I come to want to sell the item then I can sell it in the original box meaning more value.

The latter I have rarely, if ever done.

My parents loft is full of boxes which are 20+ years old. It's a time warp being in there. I also keep boxes which my cat food comes in as they are really heavy duty so will be good for moving. Luckily my loft has a lot of space!

#26 Bigdda

Bigdda

Neowinian

• 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:50

I'll keep the box as long as possible and I'll throw the box with the things in it together

#27 vetJohn S.

John S.

 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• 19,541 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 17 May 2013 - 20:49

until the wife starts fussing about empty boxes in the basement, then I usually pile them up in the fire pit and Voila....no more boxes

#28 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• 2,412 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:05

I tend to keep the boxes until I either decide to get rid of them or if I think there will never be a need for them.

I just moved less than a month ago and the original packaging for my monitor came in handy to protect it from being scratched up during the move. WIth that said though, moving the other boxes which I kept that we couldn't use to repack with we had to either get rid of them which was quite a bit (Thinks like laptop boxes, component boxes etc), became quite a recycle hassle. So, as of now, I am sort of maintaining a policy of not keeping boxes for new items I purchase.

After all, for warranty returns, I can simply go to a store, buy a box and material and ship it back. (Warranty returns rarely happen around here anyway) As for returnable items...rarley happens and if so, I generally suspect I might need to so I keep the box for a while. When I had to ship my iMac back to Apple, I must say though the original box came in handy!

#29 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,444 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:44

I usually keep them long enough to forget about them, then when I find them I chuck them out. It gives me a sense of security in case I have to send anything back, otherwise I'd just recycle them immediately.

#30 CG-88

CG-88

||Modified||

• 692 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 625

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:30

For components I keep the box until I upgrade that component then I can resell with the box.

Boxes for tablets etc I tend to keep until any warranty expires then it gets binned.