16 posts in this topic

Posted

[size=6]Linux beta of Left 4 Dead 2 now on Steam[/size]
by John Callaham

Even though there are just a tiny amount of Steam users that access on Linux PCs, Valve seems determined to expand its support for versions of the open source OS. This weekend, Valve announced that the Linux version of its hit zombie co-op shooter Left 4 Dead 2 is now available for download.

The game's official blog states that the beta should be available on Steam for anyone who owns the PC or Mac versions of Left 4 Dead 2. The Linux beta also includes beta versions of the game's authoring tools as wells as its dedicated server.

Valve says that this Linux beta is also a way to test out their new Extended Mutation System for Left 4 Dead 2. Valve says this is an improved scripting system that game modders can use " ... to go past modifying existing scripts and write custom script logic, spawn and control entities, and much much more. Mod authors will now be able to create deep custom experiences that can be played on any map or tailor create something for new or existing maps."

That sounds pretty cool and should allow for some interesting new gameplay modes to be made for Left 4 Dead 2.

Source: Left 4 Dead blog | Image via Valve

3 people like this

Posted

Hah thanks Valve!

so glad games are being ported to alternatives. Down the road Windows 7 will obviously get obsolete for gaming even though its great for now. My hope is enough market share will be established so more developers can ship out Linux versions alongside Windows.

Posted

It's cool but I'm waiting to see what kind of sales Valve actually start attributing to users being native to a Linux OS cos as far as I can see, at the moment, most people will already own these games and just be downloading the linux version after already purchasing for Windows.

I think most developers and publishers will be looking for those figures also.

Companies are in business to make money, that's why most games are primarily made for consoles now as that is the majority marketplace. Valve and Ubuntu will have to prove to these developers and publishers that it's profitable to put in the extra work needed to port to Linux.

Posted

sweet. so if my wife and i venture away from windows for any reason, we should be good to go!

Posted

I don't own part 2, just the first one :-(. Wonder if they'll port it too.

Posted

This will be sure to increase the number of people using Steam on Linux! :)

Posted

[quote name='Gerowen' timestamp='1367814432' post='595674364']
[/quote]

valve pretty much abandoned the first one early on. l4d2 now has all the l4d1 maps and survivors anyway.

Posted

[quote name='Gerowen' timestamp='1367814432' post='595674364']
[/quote]

they ported left 4 dead "2" not the first one

Posted

[quote name='Raa' timestamp='1367814613' post='595674370']
This will be sure to increase the number of people using Steam on Linux! :)
[/quote]
Are you sure? Wouldn't that go for people who only play L4D2, seeing most other games are not supported on Linux and hence it would be better to just keep using Windows as long as you have to play some of the games there anyways?

[quote name='ChrisJ1968' timestamp='1367820648' post='595674414']
they ported left 4 dead "2" not the first one
[/quote]
That was what he said. He wondered if they'll port the first one too. And I don't find it likely that they'll port the first one.

Posted

This is awesome news!! Thanks for sharing!!!! Does Neowin want a L4D 2 server?

Posted

Great! I really want to see Half Life 2 ported over.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Tyler R.' timestamp='1368019226' post='595678376']
[/quote]

Yep!

Posted

[quote name='Tyler R.' timestamp='1368019226' post='595678376']
[/quote]

Surely it should be possible already, the engine has already been ported over and the maps, sounds and models are not platform dependent so they should already be good to go, just a matter of packaging and servers I would guess.

Posted

I think the vast majority of L4D players are on consoles anyway, but I'm guess this port doesn't magically perform twice as good as the windows version on the same hardware ;)

[quote name='PsYcHoKiLLa' timestamp='1368021121' post='595678418']
Surely it should be possible already, the engine has already been ported over and the maps, sounds and models are not platform dependent so they should already be good to go, just a matter of packaging and servers I would guess.
[/quote]

porting a game is far more than just porting the engine. Peopel keep underestimating the work that goes into making a game linux compatible.

Posted

[quote name='HawkMan' timestamp='1368022106' post='595678440']
I think the vast majority of L4D players are on consoles anyway, but I'm guess this port doesn't magically perform twice as good as the windows version on the same hardware ;)

porting a game is far more than just porting the engine. Peopel keep underestimating the work that goes into making a game linux compatible.
[/quote]

Like what?

Posted

[quote name='HawkMan' timestamp='1368022106' post='595678440']
[/quote]
Porting the engine is what a port is. I think the main problem is that there are several different versions of the source engine in existence ("hl2" source engine (not used for hl2 anymore), Orange Box, L4D2, Alien Swarm)
Besides, Half-Life 2 is already available for Mac so they have converted all the functions to be unix compatible.