Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Original Poster

people on benefits should gym?

83 posts in this topic

I wanted to start a bit of a political debate of such, in a way.

I think a good idea for any government with a benefit system to make those on benefits attend the gym.

imagine this for example... the government pays a local gym directly and if a person doesn't show up for at least 2 hours and doesn't complete a FITNESS PLAN to their capabilities (everyone is different) they are to be cut off from benefits (and yes if able to even disabled people should go) and they would have to be signed off by a gym employee. if they do not get signed off they lose their benefits.

I think it would benefit any country especially america with its obesity problem, and the UK with its up and coming obesity problem.

going to the gym just 1 hour a week and really working can help with depression and motivation, along with fitness and weight...

what do you guys think? I know it would be an increase on tax or money taken out of the system for other things... but as a tax payer I wouldnt mind... I would like to see less fat people as well as this I would like to see people who dont do anything on benefits do something with their lives (not saying that none do, but some dont)...

thoughts? any additions? good idea? bad idea?

2 people like this

Its a good idea but at the same time there are people that aren't on benefits and want to go to the gym that will have to pay the full price. It would not be fair for those people to pay for other people's gym memberships. Maybe setting up some sort of community gym that anybody could use for free would be better.

2 people like this

Its a good idea but at the same time there are people that aren't on benefits and want to go to the gym that will have to pay the full price. It would not be fair for those people to pay for other people's gym memberships. Maybe setting up some sort of community gym that anybody could use for free would be better.

i see your point but sadly this might take money away from the small business ? sadly the benefit system is the whole argument they get houses, we have to buy/rent ours ... and so forth. so I do not think the debate would change. I did think of something like what you suggested but then I thought about jobs and such, even still what do you think about MAKING them go to the gym?

I think the obesity problem has a few major contributing factors.

1) More and more jobs are not labor intensive. The vast majority of us have jobs that, to be perfectly honest, are not physically demanding, and if they are, it's only in short spurts.

2) More and more of us enjoy filling our spare time with non-physical activities such as social networking, watching movies, or just trolling YouTube, etc. When I was growing up we didn't have a computer at all for a long time, and when we did get one we didn't have internet, so my days were spent running around the hills, going swimming in the creek, digging ginseng root to sell, etc. A growing majority of kids nowadays are perfectly content to sit on their behind and play Call of Duty for hours and hours, and most parents don't do anything about it. Those kids will then grow up and probably take on non-physically demanding jobs and fill their spare time with more electronics.

3) Especially in low-income homes, both partners "must" work in order to pay the bills. If you work for anything close to minimum wage, you can't support a family, so both partners have to work. That means when everybody is home in the evening, neither person wants to cook because they've been working all day. So what do they do? McDonalds.

4) Healthy food in America costs a lot more than junk-food, so people who don't make a lot of money, or who receive food stamps, try to get as much food as possible with the money they have, and if you want to get the most food for your dollar in America, you buy scientifically engineered crap instead of real, fresh food.

I do think the whole system needs to be re-examined though. There are a lot of people on benefits who legitimately need them, such as the elderly or the hurt, or even young people who are between jobs and need something to put food on the table for a few months until they find employment, but there are others who are perfectly capable of working and are just too lazy to go out and earn a decent living for themselves and are just riding and abusing the system.

3 people like this

So another thing for the taxpayers to pay?

How bout send the lazy f'ers out to clean the garbage off the sides of all the highways.

That'd be some good exercise.

6 people like this

What about people who don't go to the gym but work out in their homes? I do this, as I simply don't have time to go to a gym. Plus, I don't have to pay any of the membership fees.

What about people who don't go to the gym but work out in their homes? I do this, as I simply don't have time to go to a gym. Plus, I don't have to pay any of the membership fees.

well people on benefits should have time especially if they are not job seeking. nice to know u are working out at home though :) ... those who dont have a job or education should have time for the gym, commitments such as children wont be there all the time (School and such) ect

1 person likes this

well people on benefits should have time especially if they are not job seeking. nice to know u are working out at home though :) ... those who dont have a job or education should have time for the gym, commitments such as children wont be there all the time (School and such) ect

Psh... make the kids go too.

A good idea if it can be implemented in a way so not to antagonise tax payers and such, on top of the health benefit, the people using it could find themselves able in more areas of employment......

(manual labour etc...)

2 people like this

I think the obesity problem has a few major contributing factors.

1) More and more jobs are not labor intensive. The vast majority of us have jobs that, to be perfectly honest, are not physically demanding, and if they are, it's only in short spurts.

2) More and more of us enjoy filling our spare time with non-physical activities such as social networking, watching movies, or just trolling YouTube, etc. When I was growing up we didn't have a computer at all for a long time, and when we did get one we didn't have internet, so my days were spent running around the hills, going swimming in the creek, digging ginseng root to sell, etc. A growing majority of kids nowadays are perfectly content to sit on their behind and play Call of Duty for hours and hours, and most parents don't do anything about it. Those kids will then grow up and probably take on non-physically demanding jobs and fill their spare time with more electronics.

3) Especially in low-income homes, both partners "must" work in order to pay the bills. If you work for anything close to minimum wage, you can't support a family, so both partners have to work. That means when everybody is home in the evening, neither person wants to cook because they've been working all day. So what do they do? McDonalds.

4) Healthy food in America costs a lot more than junk-food, so people who don't make a lot of money, or who receive food stamps, try to get as much food as possible with the money they have, and if you want to get the most food for your dollar in America, you buy scientifically engineered crap instead of real, fresh food.

I do think the whole system needs to be re-examined though. There are a lot of people on benefits who legitimately need them, such as the elderly or the hurt, or even young people who are between jobs and need something to put food on the table for a few months until they find employment, but there are others who are perfectly capable of working and are just too lazy to go out and earn a decent living for themselves and are just riding and abusing the system.

I agree, but i just think those on benefits need to do something! even if disabled they can still do something! even if its non-profit! the government doesnt have to make it a benefit system... more a last resort jobs... the government should be paying people to do work not do nothing... even if its just speaking to others attending charity

events on occasions ... nothing intensive just something to pay pack ....

2 people like this

I feel that if you are unemployed for longer then, lets say 6 months, you should help clean up your town/city to get benefits.

Most places can use the help. Most people don't want to do a job like that, so it might encourage them more to look for something better.

And walking around all day cleaning gives you some exercise that doesn't cost the tax payer more money.

1 person likes this

Haha yes that sounds like a great plan the tories could come up with.

'Oh george-o, send more peasents down the gym with health problems that we`ve introduced legislation to make it much harder for them to get jobs and much easier to be sacked and laugh at some more disabled people unable to do anything and people with health problems having heart attacks'.

I think your earlier quote of 'i have a near genius iq' should be in your sig just so people can read it and then re-read your threads then laugh them off.

Sounds more like a incentive to to be on benefits.

Those on benefits who are able to work should be employed to work for the government and local councils. Those that don't show up shall lose their right to normal benefit rights and fall back to basic benefits which should be paid in vouchers to be redeemed for pre-approved items such as food, cleaning products etc.

It's a good idea, but it's just another expense that this country can't afford.

If everybody had brand new cars, there would be less deaths on the road, but it's something that simply can't be done.

I firmly believe the govt. shouldn't be holding anybody's hand; especially those that won't even attempt to learn personal responsibility/well-being.

Silly idea. Being unemployed has bugger all to do with health.

Now, what IS a good idea, is paid for gym membership for people with obesity problems! Help them to help themselves before they end up costing 20x as much due to weight related problems.

Now, what IS a good idea, is paid for gym membership for people with obesity problems! Help them to help themselves before they end up costing 20x as much due to weight related problems.

+1.

The latter idea has been trialed by a few GPs around the UK with varying success, you'll only lose weight if you want to, and unfortunately most people don't want to.

If they are able to go to the gym then they don't need the gym, they need a job..

like someone kinda stated already... a national unemployed work program would be awesome... various civil service jobs like garbage collection, community improvement cleanups and painting etc etc... think of it as voluntary work with pay.

1 person likes this

I disagree, being unemployed can have a direct affect on your health. It's incredibly hard to eat healthily when you're unemployed - it's not impossible, but unless you place your nutrition first over other expenses, you'll struggle to eat properly. That's not taking into account any other responsibilities you may have - this is just me talking from the perspective of being unemployed and being my only responsibility.

I agree on the obesity front though, something needs to be done. Being a gluttonous mess is a way of life these days; employed or not. Regarding benefits and health though? I don't know what it's like in the rest of the UK, but up here in the North being part of the long-term unemployed and outrageously unhealthy walks hand-in-hand. Seems too many people around here are happy to **** around until adulthood, get a couple of kids out the oven and waste their days away binging on pure filth and taking every handout imaginable from the Government. In every country the Benefit system is there to HELP people, it should never be a career path.

I can vouch for one thing regarding being unemployed; if you're not determined to get a job, the UK Government is next to no help. I was forced into a session when I was unemployed to sit and watch a PowerPoint presentation on finding work which was accompanied by a video of SOCK PUPPETS! Hardly a motivator if your mental age is above double-figures. Not to mention, the desk jockeys at the Job Centre's don't even check up on what you've been applying for?! Unless it was a position they had you agree to apply for, they couldn't care less - it is far too easy to breeze by. Some weeks when I was unemployed I might have applied for two jobs, but I'd either just write down fictitious ones to appease them or I'd completely blag it off the top of my head. As long as you were confident in what you were saying and not evidently making it up, you were fine.

1 person likes this

I think in 2013 people know how to take care of themselves. Anybody still grossly overweight (like the majority of America) are either living an extremely sheltered life (not as likely) or are just fat, lazy slobs. They deserve the health problems they get if they knew how to not end up that way. I would much rather pay taxes and fund gym memberships for people rather than pay for Johnny to get a triple bypass because he could not stop eating and was too useless to move around a bit.

I think those on the government dole should also have an olympic size swimming pool as well. :p

Bring back national military service.

/thread

Never mind the gymn, Stop filling kids heads full of shyte and give them proper education.

and how many people over eat due to emotional issues and lack of life fulfillment, Society is rotten, drugs are banned, so people have got the great panaceas of food and telly... some life

Never mind the gymn, Stop filling kids heads full of shyte and give them proper education.

and how many people over eat due to emotional issues and lack of life fulfillment, Society is rotten, drugs are banned, so people have got the great panaceas of food and telly... some life

There we have it. You solved it all at once. Make meth legal. Ever seen a meth addict that was fat?

Gym is a verb now?

1 person likes this