18 posts in this topic

Posted

[size=6]EA reveals The Sims 4 for PC and Mac in 2014[/size]
by John Callaham

It's not exactly a shock to learn that Electronic Arts is working on a new version of The Sims, the best selling people sim game series that was originally created by Will Wright. Today, the company announced that The Sims 4 is in development at its Maxis studios.

Details about the game should be announced later today. So far, all EA has said about The Sims 4 is that it will be coming sometime in 2014 for the PC and Mac. EA has also said that the previous games in the series have now sold a total of 150 million copies worldwide.

The original version of The Sims was released in 2000 and became an instant hit, as players controlled the actions of the "Sims" in their suburban home environments. The original game has become the best selling PC game of all time with 16 million copies sold worldwide. The game has spawned two full sequels and tons of retail and downloadable expansion packs.

The series has also spawned a number of spin-offs, although those games have not been as successful or as well received as the main games in the series. The biggest failure was The Sims Online, which attempted to turn the game into a massively multiplayer title. Despite direct design work from The Sims creator Will Wright and tons or pre-release hype, the game received poor reviews when it launched in December 2002 and shut down completely in 2008.

Source: EA | Image via EA

Posted

Just read this elsewhere and sent it along to my Sister in Law she is in love with teh Sims games.

Posted

Cool. I hope they take out the bloat on the expansions (needing seperate executables and support files for everything.)

And if it was 64 bit only that'd be nice, though probably not bloody likely.

Posted

dlc hell!!!!
5 people like this

Posted

And let me guess, you need a constant internet connection to play it? :(

I enjoyed the original Sims, and I quite liked Sims 2. The Sims 3 seemed to take it too far for me though.

As for the DLC's and expansions...well, I'm pretty sure The Sims was one of the first to really go overboard with its little extras. I seem to remember having about 4 discs for the original game just because of all the expansion packs they kept releasing. On the plus side though, it has made me more jaded with regards to expansions and DLC. Now I take the time to think, "is it really worth <X> amount of money for that?"
3 people like this

Posted

[img]http://imgace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ehmgeherd-bier.jpg[/img]
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Intrinsica' timestamp='1367860342' post='595675188']

I enjoyed the original Sims, and I quite liked Sims 2. The Sims 3 seemed to take it too far for me though.

As for the DLC's and expansions...well, I'm pretty sure The Sims was one of the first to really go overboard with its little extras. I seem to remember having about 4 discs for the original game just because of all the expansion packs they kept releasing. On the plus side though, it has made me more jaded with regards to expansions and DLC. Now I take the time to think, "is it really worth <X> amount of money for that?"
[/quote]

You'll need to remain connected to EA's servers, because of all the extra processor power needed to program the AI car that picks you for work ;)
7 people like this

Posted

unless they dump the always online and only online game saves then it could be a big flop like simcity is.

Posted

I see 0day DLC in it's future - how pathetic.

I might buy it 5 years after release when the $300 in expansions are $3 each and can get the entire game with all expansions for under $50 and even then this is only if it's not "Always-on" Crap.

Until then, it's a definite skip.
2 people like this

Posted

I thought this kind of game was just a fad that came and went.

... I don't see this selling as well as the earlier versions.

Posted

Bring us ****ing multiplayer and we're good. (No, not always online gameplay like SimCity)

Posted

Knowing EA I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced Simoleons with real money.
1 person likes this

Posted

There better be an offline mode!

Posted

[quote name='Blank' timestamp='1367885434' post='595675776']
They already had Sims online which didnt do too well.
[/quote]
thats when the internet was very young. im not talking mmo

Posted

[quote name='Intrinsica' timestamp='1367860342' post='595675188']
[/quote]
They already said it's an offline experience, so no.

[url="http://www.shacknews.com/article/79055/the-sims-4-coming-to-pc-and-mac-in-2014"]http://www.shacknews.com/article/79055/the-sims-4-coming-to-pc-and-mac-in-2014[/url]
[quote][b]Update:[/b][color=#333333] The Sims 4 is an [/color][i]offline[/i][color=#333333] game. In an [/color][url="http://www.ea.com/news/the-sims-4-in-development-for-pc-and-mac"]updated post[/url][color=#333333], Maxis points out that The Sims 4 "celebrates the heart and soul of the Sims themselves, giving players a deeper connection with the most expressive, surprising and charming Sims ever in this single-player offline experience."[/color][/quote]

Posted

[quote][b]Update:[/b][size=3] The Sims 4 is an [/size][i]offline[/i][size=3] game. In an [/size][url="http://www.ea.com/news/the-sims-4-in-development-for-pc-and-mac"]updated post[/url][size=3], Maxis points out that The Sims 4 "celebrates the heart and soul of the Sims themselves, giving players a deeper connection with the most expressive, surprising and charming Sims ever in this single-player offline experience."[/size][/quote]

Wow, way go to... uh.. EA... way to make a single player game a single player game.....

The fact that they had to point this out is pathetic.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='Deranged' timestamp='1367858915' post='595675140']
Cool. I hope they take out the bloat on the expansions (needing seperate executables and support files for everything.)

And if it was 64 bit only that'd be nice, though probably not bloody likely.
[/quote]

And if they could engineer it so adding custom content didn't massively slow the game down, that would be worth a new version.

For anything else, I don't know if the designers would be on the same track as me. The Sims, since the first version, has become much more of a dollhouse-oriented title, marketed to teenage girls, than an interesting simulation game. Werewolves, vampires, fairies. Katy Perry theme DLCs. I would want, for instance, doing laundry to be a necessary part of the game, and the player to have to go our and buy clothes, and home construction to take time and make noise. I expect the designers would reject that as boring, but if Will Wright hadn't been involved in the first game, you probably wouldn't need to use the toilet either and old newspapers wouldn't collect on your front lawn.

Posted

You've been able to cancel newspaper delivery service for some time. Can't say much about the other stuff (you can make laundry part of YOUR game now but to me it sounds boring. I get enough real life in real life.)

I hear it on the custom content stuff...seems like even with their content the game has major issues at times. Not sure what they can do but they'd best do something cause it's ridiculous.