14 posts in this topic

Posted

One of the dreams for security experts is the creation of a quantum internet that allows perfectly secure communication based on the powerful laws of quantum mechanics.

The basic idea here is that the act of measuring a quantum object, such as a photon, always changes it. So any attempt to eavesdrop on a quantum message cannot fail to leave telltale signs of snooping that the receiver can detect. That allows anybody to send a

Posted

Is there anything that doesnt sound better with Quantum in front of it?

Posted

Quantum diarrhea. It definitely sounds a lot worse than regular diarrhea.

12 people like this

Posted

Quantum diarrhea. It definitely sounds a lot worse than regular diarrhea.

Quantum diarrhea...how would you know when you're finished, given that the moment you try and observe it changes...nevermind, that's too disturbing to think about for the moment.

So will quantum Internet offer anything other than better security? Obviously the security aspect is great, but I'm wondering if there aren't other things that can be achieved using the same mechanics...

1 person likes this

Posted

What -- the government would hide technology from us .... :p

Posted

256px-Quantum_of_Solace_Cover_Art.PNG

(sick burn)

4 people like this

Posted

So as long as the hub is secure, then the network should also be secur

There is always that. Can't guarantee everything.

Posted

What -- the government would hide technology from us .... :p

They're not just hiding it ;)

Posted

Somehow I'm thinking my Verizon Fios Quantum was derived from said quantum??????

Posted

"Quantum consumption" of Stuffed Crust Pizza!

Posted

I once owned a VW Quantum. It was a turbo diesel.

Would have been nice if it couldn't be detected or changed just by looking at it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hmm if you can develop a commercial quantum router (reading->routing a quantum packet without changing it), what's stopping someone develop a quantum snooper (only reading not routing)?

Posted

Quantum diarrhea...how would you know when you're finished, given that the moment you try and observe it changes...nevermind, that's too disturbing to think about for the moment.

The moment you observe it, it collapses to a classical state |finished> or |unfinished> and the measured value is the corresponding eigenvalue. Yes, measuring disturbs the state, but I think in this case that would be desirable.

So will quantum Internet offer anything other than better security? Obviously the security aspect is great, but I'm wondering if there aren't other things that can be achieved using the same mechanics...

Well, not quantum internet, but quantum computing, yes. Pretty cool things happen when you apply quantum computing to, for instance, genetic algorithms, but in the end it doesn't actually help... the no-cloning theorem is a total roadblock there. But the moment you measure the fitness of a specific chromosome, the chromosome collapses to a superposition of all chromosomes with that fitness.

Posted

Hmm if you can develop a commercial quantum router (reading->routing a quantum packet without changing it), what's stopping someone develop a quantum snooper (only reading not routing)?

You cannot read it without changing its state, thereby letting the original recipient know it's been read.