Posted 06 May 2013 - 20:19

Shantanu Narayen is a scumbag.

#17 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• 10,110 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 May 2013 - 21:07

I'm actually a fan of the educational pricing for Creative Cloud (~$29/month), so this change doesn't really bother me too much. But, assuming I keep paying, will my apps be automatically updated to the latest versions, or will an entirely new subscription be required?

#18 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• 2,523 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 21:22

I guess I'm sticking with CS6 then.

#19 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,512 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 22:15

Looks like this is the end of Photoshop

#20 excalpius

excalpius

Neowinian Senior

• 4,704 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 22:25

It has NOTHING to do with piracy, folks.

Remember that Adobe decided a long time ago that it made more sense to charge 10,000 customers $1,000 than to charge 100,000 customers $100 dollars. It's the same total revenue but a LOT less customer support, etc. and thus far lower costs (= more profit!).

This forced their pricing model towards businesses that MUST have it and therefore must pay, while ignoring the rampant piracy among people who couldn't afford it anyway. They knew that these people would be learning the software, which would then force businesses to buy it for their employees, etc.

A win-win for Adobe.

It should be interesting to see how this works for them.

#21 Timan

Timan

Fade Away...

• 9,902 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 22:50

June can't come soon enough, subscription time! Shame they've made it so hard to pretend to be a student. They need more than an @edu addy these days. Would save 30$ a month (currently 20$)

#22 +Quillz

Quillz

A Talking Pokemon

• 10,110 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 May 2013 - 23:09

June can't come soon enough, subscription time! Shame they've made it so hard to pretend to be a student. They need more than an @edu addy these days. Would save 30$ a month (currently 20$)

What else do you need now? Last year, I think an .edu address was all I needed.

#23 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• 17,213 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 06 May 2013 - 23:24

Well this sucks for my personal situation.
I used to do nothing but design. My career path led me on a different path, I am now a technologist.
With that said, because of my design background, I still do the odd design related project here and there. It is very rare, maybe 10 times a year.
That 10 times was enough to get my work to purchase a CS6 upgrade. We already had CS5.
It is not going to be enough to get them to do this subscription. I know as I already asked my Boss.
For my personal use, I do not use Photoshop enough to warrant purchasing this for myself.
I break it out like once a week, and usually it is just to do some quick image correction or the occasional Neowin signature and Avatar.

So yeah, looks like I will be sticking with CS6 for a long time, unless I change my career path again, which stranger things have happened.

#24 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:19

This should practically kill PS for home use. I wouldn't pay for it via subscription. PS is the best, no doubt about it, but alternatives are almost as good and some of them cost nothing (like the Gimp.)

#25 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,382 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:00

I don't think i even needed a .edu email address, i was required to scan and upload some documents i think it was my works ID and letter head paper.. i used my secondary business email address with no relation to education...i'm sure some people could doctor an ID, letter head scan and even a fake domain if they were that desperate for the discount.