20 posts in this topic

Posted

[size=6]EA to publish new Star Wars games from DICE, BioWare and Visceral[/size]
by John Callaham

In April, Disney announced it was shutting down the LucasArts game development and publishing division as part of its acquisition of LucasFilm and its Star Wars properties. Today, Electronic Arts has emerged as the new custodian of future Star Wars-based games.

EA's press release today announced it has signed a multi-year deal with Disney "to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines." EA added that the new games will be made "for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres." Disney will still have the rights to develop Star Wars games based on mobile and tablet platforms, along with social and online-based games.

While specific details on the new Star Wars games were not revealed, EA did confirm that its DICE (Battlefield series) and Visceral (Dead Space series) studios will be making all new games. BioWare will also continue to develop Star Wars games; it already has two such games until its belt with the MMO title Star Wars: The Old Republic and the classic RPG Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. EA Labels President Frank Gibeau stated, "The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay."

Neither EA nor Disney revealed the specific financial agreements on this new Star Wars game license.

Source: EA | Image via EA

Posted

eew star wars...now I need a new favorite publisher o.o

Posted

As long as EA continues its boycott of Steam I won't be buying any of these. Not that it matters, as they'll likely revolve entirely around micro-transactions and be aimed at the casual market.
2 people like this

Posted

Can't imagine any kind of negative reaction from fans over this decision.

Posted

[quote name='virtorio' timestamp='1367873513' post='595675492']
Can't imagine any kind of negative reaction from fans over this decision.
[/quote]

Why would they? :shifty: :p

Posted

I have no problem with this right now at least...The Old Republic is fun and it entertains. It may not be the greatest MMO ever but I have fun playing it. To hear DICE is working on something warms my heart and my manhood to think about Battlefront 3. Yes more than likely a star wars skin over Battlefield 3 but still Battlefront 3 with ALL the Star Wars planets would be nice.

Posted

Battlefront 3 please...
1 person likes this

Posted

Just saw this on Reddit, very excited for the possible quality of games, disappointed at the price points and DLC-scheming EA will force upon our beloved franchises.

Posted

Oh great, now I lost star war games too...

Posted

DICE making Battlefront 3 sounds about right to me. (Y)

Lets face it, the game was always a Battlefield wannabe in the Star Wars universe.
IF they do it right, and that is a big if, but if they do it right, and make it Battlefield-esque but keep those aspects that make it specific to Star Wars, well that can be one bad ass game right there.
2 people like this

Posted

Bioware, many fans are waiting for a "Knights of the Old Republic 3". And while The Old Republic MMO's various storylines filled us in on events since Revan and the Exile, it would be cool to have a game set after the movies/Vader era.

Posted

[quote name='DirtyLarry' timestamp='1367882819' post='595675712']

Lets face it, the game was always a Battlefield wannabe in the Star Wars universe.
IF they do it right, and that is a big if, but if they do it right, and make it Battlefield-esque but keep those aspects that make it specific to Star Wars, well that can be one bad ass game right there.
[/quote]

THISSSSSSSSSSS.

I'd love to see the Frostbite engine put to work on a Star Wars title. Could easily be mind blowing~

Posted

I can only imagine what you could do with a Jedi Knight style game on the Frostbite Engine... god it could be amazing.

Posted

Mandatory http://nooooooooooooooo.com/ post!

Posted

**** supplying this through origin, this BS client that does nothing. This needs to come to Steam, Petition guys?

Posted

EA can make awesome games but they always find some way to **** it up.

Battlefield 3:
- DLC was bad and cost more than the game
- Private servers, they are just public servers, now you have to search hard to find a public server.

Posted

[quote name='Gaffney' timestamp='1367938921' post='595676848']
Sim City:
- Worthless DLC.
[/quote]

hey now, that is pushing it.... everyone needed the Nissan charging station and the Colgate Themepark packs..............

Posted

[quote name='DirtyLarry' timestamp='1367882819' post='595675712']

[/quote]
Agree totally, add to this a remake of Dark forces or x-wing v Tie fighter in Frostbite engine <shudders with glee>

Posted

[quote name='Gaffney' timestamp='1367938921' post='595676848']
EA can make awesome games but they always find some way to **** it up.

Battlefield 3:
- DLC was bad and cost more than the game
[/quote]

DLC was bad? That's news to me because I've heard nothing but praise regarding their DLC... :ermm:

[quote name='Shahrad' timestamp='1367933126' post='595676628']
**** supplying this through origin, this BS client that does nothing. This needs to come to Steam, Petition guys?
[/quote]

I love Steam as a product and service, along with the fact that Valve is continuously fine-tuning it and everything.

However, there's nothing wrong with Origin. It does what it's supposed to do: launch the game. I don't expect it to do much else, and it's not like it slows me down or anything.

Posted

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/249099_470808049662608_19397702_n.jpg[/img]