• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 19,690 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:25

Even without this bit of info, though it's telling, MS gave you all the info you needed to know in it's quarterly financial report. The fact the traditional PC market saw a large 13% drop yet MS's Windows division revenue didn't take a hit should tell you that Windows 8 on tablets and hybrid devices IS selling. Also the Surface brand is under the Windows division as well IIRC, so the sales from that also helped.

In the end a license sale is a license sale, MS doesn't much care from a bottom line point of view if it's for Windows 7or Windows 8 at this point. One thing to note is that once we get the newer 7-8" devices that Windows 8/8.1 (probably still counted as Windows 8 by MS I bet) will see another big pop in it's sales when that would only happen every ~3 years or so with a new version of Windows. This new and quicker release cycle changes things quite a bit.

#17 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,652 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:49

Yup, we have a few hundred licenses for Win8 so far....but we are not using them. We are instead downgrading to Win7.

I wonder how many Start8 licenses have been sold?

I think a few months ago, there were about 5-6 million start menu replacement programs that were bought. I would imagine that number has increased since.

#18 Rickkins

Rickkins

Neowinian

• 649 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S3

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:27

"Microsoft says"....... 'nuff said.

Hey, anybody wanna buy a bridge....???

#19 rwx

rwx

Neowinian

• 339 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:33

http://betanews.com/...ses-is-nothing/

#20 dvb2000

dvb2000

Neowinian Senior

• 1,502 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:47

Shame he didn't talk about how many were uninstalled, and how many were never installed to begin with.

I was thinking the same thing. It'd be interesting to get stats about how many unique systems are checking into windows update each day.

#21 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,893 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 08 May 2013 - 17:28

http://betanews.com/...ses-is-nothing/

Wow that article is so full of crap it's hilarious.

- Windows dirt cheap edition? You could buy 3 copies of Windows 7 for $150 (or $50 each). The upgrade for people who purchased Vista computers just before 7 launched was FREE (with win 8 it was $15). And if you lived in the US you could have gotten the ultimate edition for free through house party (I and many others did).

- I believe some articles are reporting that Win 8 sales have kept pace with Win 7 sales 6 months in...so if Windows 8 100 million is NOTHING, then so was Windows 7 100 million.

- He then goes on to compare iPads to Windows 8. And says oh look Apple makes more money from iPads than Microsoft does with Windows 8. Well no ****ing **** genius you're talking about a device that costs $400+ to a copy of Windows that's a lot cheaper than that.

- Oh but wait that's not it either! He then goes on to compare it to Mac sales. Yes let's compare how much money Apple made from selling Macs with OSX installed to a piece of software. So desktops/laptops that start at $1000 to software that starts at $40-200. Pure genius comparison there.

Seriously that article just takes the cake...and in honor of it I'm going to make my own comparison too:

Boeing makes more money selling planes than Toyota does selling the corolla. Now some people may say this is an apples to oranges comparison but it really isn't because the plane will eventually replace cars. Hence by my own genius logic the corolla is a ****ing terrible car and it's sales numbers mean absolutely nothing.

#22 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:10

This number includes Windows 8 pre-installed on pre-configured systems for mass sale. Since there is no way to see how many of those are downgraded to a previous version or how many were not wanted in the first place this number is completely meaningless. The number that I'd find most interesting would be: how many people didn't have Windows 8, wanted it, and went out and bought it. I'm sure it's large, don't get me wrong, but this number quoted here is useless.

Microsoft doesn't care. It's counts toward Windows 8 sales for them.

#23 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,558 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:15

Shame he didn't talk about how many were uninstalled, and how many were never installed to begin with.

Guess who didn't buy Win 8 .... :p

#24 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:26

Guess who didn't buy Win 8 .... :p

Neobond? One of the mods? :p

#25 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 2,103 posts
  • Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:31

It's so sad to see people still try to spin this in something bad.

100 million licenses is good no matter how you look at it. It's selling at the same pace as Win7 and everybody accepted these figures without any hesitation.
Why all the demands for different figures now? Is it just because some don't like the OS that these figures must be a lie? Very sad.

#26 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

• 2,862 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:45

I run Windows 8 (well, 8.1 now) because of the kernel optimizations and other features that make desktop usability easier.

I still don't like the start screen, but maybe my opinion will change with future 8.1 builds depending on how they implement some things that a lot of people complained about with 8.

#27 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:59

What puzzles me is Microsoft keeps telling us Windows 8 is selling and yet the market share for Windows 8 is barely registering.

#28 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,312 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 14:08

What puzzles me is Microsoft keeps telling us Windows 8 is selling and yet the market share for Windows 8 is barely registering.

That's because regardless of what magical sales number Microsoft tries to feed us, the fact is that not many people are using it.

#29 grik

grik

Neowinian

• 815 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 16:25

Its a nonsense this news. Let me explain.

Windows8 was sold alot because of the price 15€. I installed it, didnt like it at all and went back to Windows7. Now comes the Final version of Windows, its called Blue and will be solving most of the problems, like the previous 7.

MS is delivering and, most important, selling BETA versions of their software, there was Vista that had a beta core systems with many bugs and problems. Now Windows 8 is a GUI Beta that was a ridiculous effort to impose a new gGUI to users. Old, new every user had to learn and like this. Stupid Stupid Stupid.

With this MS shooted itseld on foot, once again. They jump from FINAL versions to BETA then they launch another FINAL.

#30 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,893 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 09 May 2013 - 16:27

That's because regardless of what magical sales number Microsoft tries to feed us, the fact is that not many people are using it.

Er not really.

1. Statcounter and IDC both count iOS under operating system (as well as mobile OS), not sure why but it skews the results a tiny bit.

2. Windows 8 is at what 5% or so on those sites? There are 2.4 billion computers connected to the internet, so 5% of that is 140 million. Microsoft said 100 million.

3. Comparing Windows 7 and Windows 8 strictly by percentage is a stupid idea. Windows 7 released in 2009 and there were 1.7 billion computers connected to the internet then. As of 2012, there were 2.8 billion so obviously the percentages are going to be different.

Granted this isn't 100% accurate because not all computers will have visited websites that report to statcounter or IDC, some people have adblockers that will block it, etc etc etc. But the 100 million sold thing doesn't actually seem to be that far of.

Windows8 was sold alot because of the price 15€. I installed it, didnt like it at all and went back to Windows7. Now comes the Final version of Windows, its called Blue and will be solving most of the problems, like the previous 7.

Sigh do people ever read?

The $15 was ONLY if you bought a desktop/laptop in the previous 3 months. In comparison with Windows 7 it was FREE. Then there was house party (free windows 7 ult), and family pack (3 for $50 each).

MS is delivering and, most important, selling BETA versions of their software, there was Vista that had a beta core systems with many bugs and problems. Now Windows 8 is a GUI Beta that was a ridiculous effort to impose a new gGUI to users. Old, new every user had to learn and like this. Stupid Stupid Stupid.

With this MS shooted itseld on foot, once again. They jump from FINAL versions to BETA then they launch another FINAL.

No they are not. The start screen wasn't a beta, please learn how software works.

Just because something is different or has a couple of bugs in it doesn't make it a beta. If that were the case every single software in the world would be considered a beta and will never reach final stages.

And Vista's core wasn't buggy it was because drivers from nvidia and creative (and other companies to a smaller extent) were so **** that they kept crashing.