Photo

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• 467 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:56

There is MASSIVE demand for good computer scientists/software engineers in the United States. I don't know where you guys are looking for work, but you are doing it wrong.

#17 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,673 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:01

i live in Europe, in one of the most poor countries so jobs here aren't abundant.

#18 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• 11,943 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:47

I personally think something more than a general degree in Computers is going to be where you anyone who is pursuing this field will be needing to get anywhere anymore. Let's face it, today's high school students grew up with computers in their world from day one and are already probably more skilled than us 30 something's when it comes to them so we need an extra leg up so to speak to get far. The difference between us and them will be that we are wiser with age and therefore able to discern more based on life experience. This and sad to say but most of us are already more mature and less likely to cause immature issues with the company. Not saying that some kids aren't wise beyond their years though and more mature than some adults though.

I somewhat agree, if not necessarily programming, than at least using databases. It seems that, right now, many of my older co-workers view databases as obscured Excel spreadsheets, but 20 years from now it's going to seem silly that we were sorting all of our data in Word documents and shuffling e-mails around.

When it comes to programming, though, I think kids today have it worse than we did growing up, as there are so many layers between them and the hardware today. When I was a kid we had to write our own games in basic if we wanted to play a PC game...

#19 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,936 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:57

I would suggest going with accounting. Accountants are always in high demand.

#20 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• 3,584 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:08

You CAN get a good job without a degree at all.. I started on the bottom and worked up to a System Administrator job.. Before that, I was a manager of a desktop support team.. I'm not even 30 yet. Will I ever become an IT Director? CIO? at a big office environment? Not without a degree.. But I don't want to become a big manager.. I like to manage small groups and do work.. :)

However, certifications help a lot.. I would focus on these.. As others said, Cisco is the way to go and a way to a huge paycheck.. I know someone that went from 60K-91K basically overnight because of his Cisco certs..

#21 OP jc0481

jc0481

Neowinian

• 151 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 22:02

You CAN get a good job without a degree at all.. I started on the bottom and worked up to a System Administrator job.. Before that, I was a manager of a desktop support team.. I'm not even 30 yet. Will I ever become an IT Director? CIO? at a big office environment? Not without a degree.. But I don't want to become a big manager.. I like to manage small groups and do work.. :)

However, certifications help a lot.. I would focus on these.. As others said, Cisco is the way to go and a way to a huge paycheck.. I know someone that went from 60K-91K basically overnight because of his Cisco certs..

Please tell me how can I do this? I would be so excited if I can do this. But not sure how. You see most of my resume has warehouse experience on it. I'm sooooooooo tired of working warehouse jobs and ready to move on to something better.
By the way everyone I live in Salt Lake City, Utah.

#22 OP jc0481

jc0481

Neowinian

• 151 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 22:17

I would suggest going with accounting. Accountants are always in high demand.

Are you an Accountant?

#23 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,936 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 09 May 2013 - 22:40

Are you an Accountant?

I was until our company went bankrupt.

#24 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• 3,584 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 09 May 2013 - 23:02

Please tell me how can I do this? I would be so excited if I can do this. But not sure how. You see most of my resume has warehouse experience on it. I'm sooooooooo tired of working warehouse jobs and ready to move on to something better.
By the way everyone I live in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I don't know how much you make.. but might have to take a paycut to be honest..

I went to a corporate style IT job when I was 22(i think).. it was entry level desktop support.. they will low ball you because you don't have any corporate experience.. but that is part of it.. It was decent.. but in five years at the same place.. I was making more than double than I started( granted, I got more responsibilities as I proved myself., security manage projects, server admin work) then I left that place to build a desktop support group for a company ended up hiring three people under me and became their system administrator.. got that place going and now I am a System Admin for another company.. You have to put a lot of hard grunt work, work tons of overtime, sweat, learn, teach others, GET involved.. ask to out with vendors, ask for projects.. most people wait for their managers to give them stuff.. you have to ASK for it.. they want people that are hungry for work.. once they see that you are motivated, smart, and gets stuff done with a great attention to detail you'll be one your way to a great job.