30 posts in this topic

Posted

Injectable Oxygen Keeps People Alive Without Breathing

Scientists have made a breakthrough could save patient's lives and open up the possibilities for underwater exploration.

A team at [url=http://www.childrenshospital.org/]Boston Children

Posted

Very interesting...I wonder how the mind would react to the body not physically breathing for up to 30 minutes.

5 people like this

Posted

Seems like something straight out of a sci fi movie.

Very interesting...I wonder how the mind would react to the body not physically breathing for up to 30 minutes.

I would image the same way as if you were holding your breath. The urge to breathe doesn't come from the amount of time you haven't taken a breath but from the amount of oxygen in your blood. If you contentiously have oxygen in your blood, the urge shouldn't come up. Of course, you may just psych yourself out and do something like breathe in a whole lot of water.
3 people like this

Posted

So there is some truth to Abyss

hmmmmmmmm

In theory I guess if the body can breathe liquid, then I suppose the biggest fear would be psycological, holding your breath that long without entering panic.......

Posted

hmmmmmmmm

In theory I guess if the body can breathe liquid, then I suppose the biggest fear would be psycological, holding your breath that long without entering panic.......

Didn't they try that with some rodents or something. Found the video....

Posted

Didn't they try that with some rodents or something. Found the video....

That footage does look like the scene from the Abyss

1 person likes this

Posted

Android body, here I come!

Posted

I do believe that this is a possibility, but certainly not a natural state.......

Posted

I do believe that this is a possibility, but certainly not a natural state.......

Come to think of it, I should have asked you what you think first.. lol

Posted

How blood is oxygenated is the haemoglobin being non-oxygenated then to ox haemoglobin oxygenated.

I can't see how an injection of 02 can be disperse quickly enough other than to create a heart attack.

People commit suicide by injecting into an artery a dosage of air, which creates an air bubble the heart cannot deal with.

It's tosh, this idea.

Posted

How blood is oxygenated is the haemoglobin being non-oxygenated then to ox haemoglobin oxygenated.

I can't see how an injection of 02 can be disperse quickly enough other than to create a heart attack.

People commit suicide by injecting into an artery a dosage of air, which creates an air bubble the heart cannot deal with.

It's tosh, this idea.

Even if the oxygen is stored in a membrane of fat?

(I actually do not know which is why I'm asking)

Posted

Come to think of it, I should have asked you what you think first.. lol

Thanks. Dissolved oxygen in the bloodstream is a natural state. It is not the same as injecting oxygen directly into the bloodstream. That is also how fish survive in the water. Gills do the same thing. It isn't so far fetched. The question is how this technology will be used to advance our lives.

Posted

The question is how this technology will be used to advance our lives.

Over weight people on respirators can now eat more. :p

1 person likes this

Posted

I still don't get where the excess CO2 will go...

Posted

That may be why there is a 30 minute limit on it.

Posted

That may be why there is a 30 minute limit on it.

This. After that point toxicity becomes a major concern for damage to the body.

I suspect that while this is fully survivable, the period afterward (purging water/contaminants from lungs, co2 from blood, etc) is probably a lot like the worst hangover you've ever had. Affectivity of people in this state would be questionable at best.

Posted

I was literally just contemplating this about 2 days ago, and here it is somebody invented it. I'm going to have to start jumping on my good ideas instead of just letting them go, :p

Posted

Straigt out of Star Trek, not Abyss. They called it Tri-Ox compound.

TOS: Amok Time, Voyager: Rise.

Posted

well, baby in womb 'breath' in almost 'airless condition'.

so, is the liquid breathing part of LCL in evangelion universe actually theoreticaly possible?

Posted

Cool stuff -- Houdini would approve. ;)

Posted

hmmmmmmmm

I guess it's like diving. It's "hard" the first time but you get accustomed to it very quickly.

Posted

I was literally just contemplating this about 2 days ago, and here it is somebody invented it. I'm going to have to start jumping on my good ideas instead of just letting them go, :p

When I was 8 (36 years ago) I was doing a project at school on renewable energy and I had the idea of a wind up radio, torch and even a tv set.

It came from the dynamo light I had on my bike.

Now someone else took that idea and patented it got investment and made millions.

So next time make sure you sort it, so you are the pioneer.

Posted

It dissolves your penis. :p

Posted

I actually can see a use for it.- the other night I was watching - Untold Stories of the E.R. and the Doctor was saying about having to hurry to get a vent tube down a guy's throat before it closes due to infection or allergic reaction.

This could actually be useful if they don't have enough time to do that. Not to mention those tubes don't always allow enough oxygen to go into the body. (I read somewhere that even with the biggest tube it rides somewhere around 70% of the recommended volume of air.)

Which that guy said about 15 minutes before the antibiotics took effect.