• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,452 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:37

Injectable Oxygen Keeps People Alive Without Breathing

Scientists have made a breakthrough could save patient's lives and open up the possibilities for underwater exploration.

A team at Boston Children’s Hospital have invented a micro-particle that can be injected into your bloodstream to oxygenate your blood – without any help being required from your lungs.

The particles are able to keep a patient alive for up to 30 minutes after respiratory failure – which is normally enough time to prevent a heart attack or brain damage due to oxygen deprivation.

Each particle contains three to four times more oxygen than each of our own red blood cells. The oxygen is stored with a cell membrane made of fat. The membrane can be made of other materials but one issue in the past was that the particles became lodged in the body’s capillaries. These fat membranes however, are much more flexible and prevent this problem from happening.

Dr. John Kheir first began looking at ways to oxygenate the blood without breathing due to a tragic experience with one of his patients, a young girl. She was suffering from pneumonia and at one point her lungs started to fill with blood. It took 25 minutes to remove the blood from her lungs, but unfortunately it wasn’t enough time to prevent a cardiac arrest, leaving the girl in a serious condition which eventually lead to her death.

Potential uses for the new technology include medical, military and private. Military uses could include covert teams being able to stay submerged for 30 minutes at a time without having to come up for air. Private sector could include rescue teams being better protected, or an oil rig crew being able to fix underwater damage without the need for scuba equipment.

Posted Image

Source

#2 Elessar

Elessar

Professional Daydreamer

• 1,893 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:44

Very interesting...I wonder how the mind would react to the body not physically breathing for up to 30 minutes.

#3 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:47

Seems like something straight out of a sci fi movie.

Very interesting...I wonder how the mind would react to the body not physically breathing for up to 30 minutes.

I would image the same way as if you were holding your breath. The urge to breathe doesn't come from the amount of time you haven't taken a breath but from the amount of oxygen in your blood. If you contentiously have oxygen in your blood, the urge shouldn't come up. Of course, you may just psych yourself out and do something like breathe in a whole lot of water.

#4 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,530 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:48

So there is some truth to Abyss
hmmmmmmmm
In theory I guess if the body can breathe liquid, then I suppose the biggest fear would be psycological, holding your breath that long without entering panic.......

#5 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:50

So there is some truth to Abyss
hmmmmmmmm
In theory I guess if the body can breathe liquid, then I suppose the biggest fear would be psycological, holding your breath that long without entering panic.......

Didn't they try that with some rodents or something. Found the video....

#6 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• 2,375 posts
  • OS: Xubuntu 14.04.1 / Server 2012 R2 / Ubuntu Server 14.04.1
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:53

Didn't they try that with some rodents or something. Found the video....

That footage does look like the scene from the Abyss

#7 +McCordRm

McCordRm

http://richardmccord.com

• 3,223 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:54

Android body, here I come!

#8 Barney T.

Barney T.

Debian Linux: I'm Loving It!

• 14,943 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:56

I do believe that this is a possibility, but certainly not a natural state.......

#9 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,530 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:58

I do believe that this is a possibility, but certainly not a natural state.......

Come to think of it, I should have asked you what you think first.. lol

#10 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,473 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:00

How blood is oxygenated is the haemoglobin being non-oxygenated then to ox haemoglobin oxygenated.

I can't see how an injection of 02 can be disperse quickly enough other than to create a heart attack.

People commit suicide by injecting into an artery a dosage of air, which creates an air bubble the heart cannot deal with.

It's tosh, this idea.

#11 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 11,530 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:02

How blood is oxygenated is the haemoglobin being non-oxygenated then to ox haemoglobin oxygenated.

I can't see how an injection of 02 can be disperse quickly enough other than to create a heart attack.

People commit suicide by injecting into an artery a dosage of air, which creates an air bubble the heart cannot deal with.

It's tosh, this idea.

Even if the oxygen is stored in a membrane of fat?
(I actually do not know which is why I'm asking)

#12 Barney T.

Barney T.

Debian Linux: I'm Loving It!

• 14,943 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:09

Come to think of it, I should have asked you what you think first.. lol

Thanks. Dissolved oxygen in the bloodstream is a natural state. It is not the same as injecting oxygen directly into the bloodstream. That is also how fish survive in the water. Gills do the same thing. It isn't so far fetched. The question is how this technology will be used to advance our lives.

#13 OP Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,452 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:11

The question is how this technology will be used to advance our lives.

Over weight people on respirators can now eat more. :p

#14 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,653 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:25

I still don't get where the excess CO2 will go...

#15 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:28

I still don't get where the excess CO2 will go...

That may be why there is a 30 minute limit on it.