Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 May 2013 - 17:29

If you think your system is compromised. Then reformat;

#17 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 08 May 2013 - 17:49

If you can not find anyone with enough skill to check processes and traffic i would go with a reformat, like budman says you can not be 100% sure its clean even if you run every scanner available.

#18 OP Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 08 May 2013 - 20:18

True, its not my system i know its pretty clean (he says) my dad just wanted to make sure he was clean and then try and find some sort of protection for his computers. I have explained that they are hard programs to find though so protection could be an issue, he said he was calling someone else about it see whta they said seeing as they work in the security area. Its just getting hold of them he says that an issue.

Thanks for the responses anyhow, like i said reformating would be an issue due to lost documents and files needed and no-where to back them up as i have no idea what happened to the nas unit i left at his. Also like i said he wouldnt know how to and would need the programs he lost during the format, also like i said one machine is in the work place so people always have access to it.

Anyway going to let this thread die now, thanks for the responses.

#19 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 08 May 2013 - 20:27

"The guy is nosy and will find out things that he really should not know and has been caught out a few times,"

Then why and the F would you give him your computer? I am at a complete loss to why you would let someone have access to your machine that you did not trust?? If you do not trust him, then WIPE the machine and get someone you trust or do it yourself.

So just because you run software X and it does not find something, does not mean its clean.. Even if you ran software Y, and Z as well - you still could not be 100% sure, etc.

If your concerned that this computer guy installed something - for peace of mind, I would wipe it and find a guy you trust.

this. this right here.

#20 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 21:38

"ike i said reformating would be an issue due to lost documents and files needed and no-where to back them up as i have no idea what happened to the nas unit i left at his"

So your saying he has NO current backup of these documents he can not live without??

Seems like you have way more issues than possible spy software put on by your computer guy..

So what would happen if I don't know - the HDD crashed like 30 seconds from now?

#21 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:21

hahaha oh man this is laughable. I'm susprised it took until Budman to point out the idiocy in using a computer guy you explicitly distrust. And you refuse the only suggestion that actually works, AND have no backups, then have the audacity of accusing Budman of wasting your time. lol.

#22 OP Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:34

This is one reason i have stopped using this forum, people dont help with the question on hand but just want to argue about "other" things.

@primexx i dont know macs my dad brought one because "they dont get viruses" my dad is not computer literate he just knows how t do the basics hence why he has someone else do the harder jobs but ofc everyone is an idiot if they are not at everyone elses skill level i guess???

I'll report this thread to be closed because because the thread has been going off topic as normal since budman entered.

Once again not everyone is computer literate or at the same skill level as you lot, i get a dozen calls about the same things and have to explain "why" that will not do what he thinks it will do. You say my dad is an "idiot" for not having backups something he does not know how to do yet you lot are idiots for expecting everyone to be at the same ****ing skill level!

#23 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:40

Answer: There is no software that will find all monitoring software.

Reason: I could invent monitoring software right now, take me a day to make a decent one. No anti-malware program would ever find it because it didn't previously exist. When it eventually learns it exists, I could just make a new one.

Solution: If you're not very good at this stuff, reformat your system with a full clean wipe. Do not use System Restore.

#24 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:48

That's it. You don't want a proper solution - you want a solution that you have imagined yourself and want to confirm. Don't come to forums with that.
Go to your nosy computer guy, he'll explain everything to you and your dad. I suggest bringing baseball bat, in case he installs something nosy again.

#25 jasondefaoite

jasondefaoite

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:54

One post summary of the entire thread :laugh:

hahaha oh man this is laughable. I'm susprised it took until Budman to point out the idiocy in using a computer guy you explicitly distrust. And you refuse the only suggestion that actually works, AND have no backups, then have the audacity of accusing Budman of wasting your time. lol.

#26 OP Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:57

That's it. You don't want a proper solution - you want a solution that you have imagined yourself and want to confirm. Don't come to forums with that.
Go to your nosy computer guy, he'll explain everything to you and your dad. I suggest bringing baseball bat, in case he installs something nosy again.

Get the facts straight, while i know formatting the computer is the best option i know its not possible because my dad is apparently an idiot (words of budman and primexx) because he does not know how to set up his computers, sort out his network or anything like that.

I asked a simple question and the results were ones that i can not possibly suggest to him because he does not ave the computer knowledge the result is "he's an idiot" im not standing for that bullcrap because not everyone has the same skills as others.

This forum is full of nothing but trolls.
Reported thread again for closure and logging out feel free to waste your time posting.

#27 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Random Oracle

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:49

The one who's trolling is you! This is not a question of skills or no skills, troll. That is a question of pure gullibility.

The mentioned primexx was very blunt, but also quite spot on. There is no way to resolve this peacefully. What are you hoping to achieve by simply detecting malware? You can't prove that it was installed on purpose and a determined perp will find methods to defeat all your protection and detection. He might already have full control over the system he's set up and is laughing at your attempts to detect it.

One needs to have a strong word with that nosy computer guy, because installing malware, compromising systems, wiretapping etc.. is a criminal offense. Especially if he's been caught already - what the f*!? Why did you let him get away with it? Visit him and insist on full disclosure, by any means report to any authorities possible - either company higher-ups if he or, if there's financial data involved or something of that kind of importance, even law enforcement.

Bah...

#28 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:54

The OP has asked that we close the thread, and it seems like he has his answers even if they weren't the ones he was hoping for. With that...

<Thread Closed>

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!