• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:17

EA DICE's Frostbite 3 engine, which powers the upcoming Battlefield 3 and the recently announced Star Wars games, will not support Wii U due to poor results from Frostbite 2 testing, engine director Johan Andersson tweeted.

EA yesterday announced a partnership with Disney to exclusively create games based on the Star Wars brand, and that they would be powered by Frostbite 3. When inquired if Frostbite 3 ever previously ran on Wii U, Andersson replied there was never such case.

"Frostbite 3 has never been running on Wii U," he said. "We did some tests with not too promising results with Frostbite 2 and chose to not go down that path."

EA in March said Battlefield 3 would skip the Wii U, as DICE creative director Lars Gustavsson saidit's best that the company sticks to doing what it knows well.

"I’d rather play it safe, deliver something really good and then look at the future and what could possibly be done than trying a bit too hard and [failing]," Gustavsson said at the time.

EA executive producer Patrick Bach at GDC provided similar thoughts, saying Wii U is not part of the team's current focus.

Frostbite engine not used for Wii U due to 'not too promising' test results [Polygon]

http://www.destructo...ts-253295.phtml

#2 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:23

I might die of shock now ;)

#3 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:23

yea i dont buy that i doubt they even tried to get FB2 engine up and running on the Wii U well i bet they ported it got it up and going but saw it not running right with no optimizations and siad F it also in this article they keep referencing BF3 not 4 so mmm Ubisoft is one game devloper tho out there that is taking the time to push the Wii U in up coming games same with others

#4 Kyang

Kyang

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:53

EA DICE's Frostbite 3 engine, which powers the upcoming Battlefield 3 and the recently announced Star Wars games, will not support Wii U due to poor results from Frostbite 2 testing, engine director Johan Andersson tweeted.

EA yesterday announced a partnership with Disney to exclusively create games based on the Star Wars brand, and that they would be powered by Frostbite 3. When inquired if Frostbite 3 ever previously ran on Wii U, Andersson replied there was never such case.

"Frostbite 3 has never been running on Wii U," he said. "We did some tests with not too promising results with Frostbite 2 and chose to not go down that path."

EA in March said Battlefield 3 would skip the Wii U, as DICE creative director Lars Gustavsson saidit's best that the company sticks to doing what it knows well.

"I’d rather play it safe, deliver something really good and then look at the future and what could possibly be done than trying a bit too hard and [failing]," Gustavsson said at the time.

EA executive producer Patrick Bach at GDC provided similar thoughts, saying Wii U is not part of the team's current focus.

Frostbite engine not used for Wii U due to 'not too promising' test results [Polygon]

http://www.destructo...ts-253295.phtml

Upcoming Battlefield 4 game right?

#5 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:22

Could be because the Wii-U is a piece of ****.

#6 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:23

I really doubt they did much of a real test of FB2. As if it can run on the other 2 boxes, it could run on the wii u. They likely just didn't want to do the necessary work you have to do when porting something to a different platform.

#7 Boxster17

Boxster17

Porsche Enthusiast

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:31

It's all about risk reward in this business. Maybe in a year or two we'll see a severely scaled down version of this running on it, but right now I just don't think there's an install base to support it. This makes even more sense when you consider the lead platforms for this are all X86 which the Wii U is not.

#8 Alladaskill17

Alladaskill17

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:42

So 'next gen' is just a term companies throw around for fun, not a standard lol Nintendo is 2/2 on being a generation behind in terms of processing & graphics power haha

#9 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:52

I really doubt they did much of a real test of FB2. As if it can run on the other 2 boxes, it could run on the wii u. They likely just didn't want to do the necessary work you have to do when porting something to a different platform.

Keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, the rest of us are starting to notice a trend... :ermm:

#10 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:17

Keep telling yourself that. Meanwhile, the rest of us are starting to notice a trend... :ermm:

So what then, you actually beleive a system that's equal to or a little greater than the ps3/360 somehow can't run the same things those systems can?

#11 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:28

Well right before crysis 3 was finished it was up and running on the Wii U just fine before EA axes it and siad No it was running visuals beyond the PS360 was having so yea they are just lazy cause the Wii U has a GPU far greater then the PS360 and has GPGPU functionality and clock speed dont matter anymore as far as CPU goes

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:15

So what then, you actually beleive a system that's equal to or a little greater than the ps3/360 somehow can't run the same things those systems can?

The CPU however is weaker, and Frostbite use CPU quite heavily.

#13 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:40

The CPU however is weaker, and Frostbite use CPU quite heavily.

This. The Wii U has a weaker CPU than the X360 or PS3. While it might be possible to work around it, the small install base clearly doesn't make it economically viable to do so. Nintendo has chosen not to compete with Microsoft or Sony on specs but instead with asymmetric gameplay through the Wii U GamePad. Unfortunately that means that games that push the envelope graphically aren't suited to the Wii U.

#14 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:43

If the Wii U was selling better. Then i bet all of a sudden Frostbite 3 will magically support Wii U.

#15 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:52

If the Wii U was selling better. Then i bet all of a sudden Frostbite 3 will magically support Wii U.

Not magically, but EA/DICE would be more willing to spend the significant resources required to port the engine and optimize it for the system