Nokia shareholder tells CEO Elop he's going to hell

actually, no they didn't. They shipped HArmattan, it was also unfinished and buggy.

Wait so you honestly call the n9 unfinished and buggy when they ended up switching to Windows Phone 7 which turned into abandonware and was based on WindowsCE that only supported one core. You guys are something.

http://www.nokia.com...ducts/phone/n9/

Wait so you honestly call the n9 unfinished and buggy when they ended up switching to Windows Phone 7 which turned into abandonware and was based on WindowsCE that only supported one core. You guys are something.

windows phone 7 was just recently upgraded to 7.5, and still getting smaller updates, thats longer support than most android handsets.

and yes, like most reviewers and people who actually used it, I call the N9 unfinished and buggy. good ideas, terrible execution. And as the lead developer himself said in an interview, they just couldn't finish MeeGo, to many bugs, and every time they fixed one, 10 new showed up. there was no reasonable time frame for it.

Your point? Are you implying that WP7 was buggy? So what if it was based on Windows CE? So what if it only supported one core?

Abandonware? WP7 has received two additional updates after the release of WP7.8. The last update was only about a month and a half ago.

wait...what? that makes absolutely no sense. what does him saying the n9 is unfinished and buggy have anything to do with what wp7 is based on, or how much support it has? youre out to lunch.

I really think MeeGo would have turned the ship around there. It needed a little more polish but with the time wasted on Windows Phone 7 why couldn't they have continued on it? The only Windows Phone I've seen in public was an HTC anyway so they aren't unique by using Windows Phone. Just look at the response it got. This is why the shareholders are so ****ed.

The Nokia N9 was announced at Nokia's Connections event in Singapore, June 2011. The reception for the device has been very positive, citing the MeeGo v1.2 Harmattan UI, pseudo-buttonless design, polycarbonate unibody construction and its NFC capabilities. Still, many reviewers did not recommend to buy the N9 only because of Nokia's earlier decision to drop MeeGo for Windows Phone for future smartphones ? often questioning this decision at the same time. Engadget's editor Vlad Savov said in June 2011 that "it's a terrific phone that's got me legitimately excited to use it, but its future is clouded by a parent that's investing its time and money into building up a whole other OS."[35] In a later review, Engadget writes: "Love at first sight ? this is possibly the most beautiful phone ever made," and "MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan is such a breath of fresh air it will leave you gasping ? that is, until you remember that you're dealing with a dead man walking."[2] In a review for Ars Technica, Ryan Paul writes: "The N9 is an impressively engineered device that is matched with a sophisticated touch-oriented interface and a powerful software stack with open source underpinnings."[36] The Verge (website) writes: "The Nokia N9 is, without doubt, one of the most fascinating phones of the last few years."[37]

The German Der Spiegel titles "this could have been Nokia's winner",[38] and the German magazine Stern describes it as one of the best devices ever made by Nokia.[39]

Sales [edit]

The Nokia N9 has not been directly released in most of the largest smartphone markets such as the USA, Canada, UK, the Netherlands, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and others. Nokia did not disclose the number of sales for the N9.[40] According to some unofficial estimates, it might have sold better than the two initially released Lumia devices in the last quarter of 2011, rising further doubts about Nokia's strategy to drop MeeGo in favour of Windows Phone

wait...what? that makes absolutely no sense. what does him saying the n9 is unfinished and buggy have anything to do with what wp7 is based on, or how much support it has? youre out to lunch.

Because WP7 was ancient tech while Meego was modern. You know like it actually supported multiple-cores. I would say an OS that can't support multiple cores is unfinished instead of the one that does but just need a little polish.

Because WP7 was ancient tech while Meego was modern. You know like it actually supported multiple-cores. I would say an OS that can't support multiple cores is unfinished instead of the one that does but just need a little polish.

just because the kernel doesn't support a certain feature doesn't mean its unfinished. it just means it doesn't support that feature. being buggy and unfinished is a totally different matter. it doesn't matter anyways how many cores it supported or how modern you seem to think it is, meego was choppy and ugly. just another grid of icons and crappy UI controls. just what we need,more of the same garbage that's out there. and there was poor app support anyways.

it doesn't matter anyways how many cores it supported or how modern you seem to think it is, meego was choppy and ugly. just another grid of icons and crappy UI controls. just what we need,more of the same garbage that's out there. and there was poor app support anyways.

Apparently it wasn't, at least not according to the reviews, or did you just ignore that part?

They would be near the bottom of the pile today if they had chosen Android instead.

FTFY.

^ Whatever. We'll never know now, of course.

Nokia not only makes Windows Phones, but they have an exclusive partnership with Microsoft. They would never have gotten that with Google.

How is it dead until 2015 when they released a product with it which the great one elop then decided to shelve?

Sailfish is about to be released which is based on MeeGo as well.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Sailfish_OS

Whatever he put in all the chips on Windows Phone so we'll see what happens.

The answer to your question is in the very question you asked. MeeGo is no longer updated and the Nokia N9 has been discontinued. It looks like the tweet from the guy in charge of MeeGo wasn't enough to make you accept the unfortunate truth that MeeGo is dead.

How's this?

By now, you may have read that The Linux Foundation, with the support of several other companies, announced a new project, Tizen, to build a new operating system for devices. This new project is first and foremost open source, and based on Linux. So it begs the question: why not just evolve MeeGo? We believe the future belongs to HTML5-based applications, outside of a relatively small percentage of apps, and we are firmly convinced that our investment needs to shift toward HTML5. Shifting to HTML5 doesn't just mean slapping a web runtime on an existing Linux, even one aimed at mobile, as MeeGo has been. Emphasizing HTML5 means that APIs not visible to HTML5 programmers need not be as rigid, and can evolve with platform technology and can vary by market segment.

Granted, this is a judgment on our part on which reasonable people could disagree, but that's the conclusion I came to.

But in the new project, a lot of things will be the same as they were in the MeeGo project. The Tizen project will reside within the Linux Foundation, will be governed by a Technical Steering Group, and will be developed openly with familiar and improved infrastructure. Much like MeeGo, the Tizen project will support multiple device categories, including Tablets, Netbooks, Handsets, Smart TV, and In-Vehicle Infotainment systems.

Over the next couple of months, we will be working very hard to make sure that users of MeeGo can easily transition to Tizen, and I will be working even harder to make sure that developers of MeeGo can also transition to Tizen.

I want to personally thank everyone who has participated in MeeGo over the past year and a half, and I encourage you to join us at Tizen.org. We hope to use what we learned from the MeeGo project to make Tizen successful, and I hope to see you participating in Tizen!

Imad

Source

^ Whatever. We'll never know now, of course.

You're right. We'll never know the real outcome of Nokia + Android; however, we can assume that the odds are against them. HTC used to be on top with their Android devices before Samsung gobbled up the market with their Galaxy line of smartphones. The bigger Samsung gets, the more their name is associated with Android. With Windows Phone, Nokia has something unique.

I can't see where they have gained that much myself. Apparently other people feel the same, if they are saying he's going to hell. :D

I can't see where they have gained that much myself. Apparently other people feel the same, if they are saying he's going to hell. :D

Really? They're creating unique hardware using a unique OS. That would never have happened with Android. It would have taken forever for Nokia to create an image, and by then it would have been too late.

Really? They're creating unique hardware using a unique OS. That would never have happened with Android. It would have taken forever for Nokia to create an image, and by then it would have been too late.
unique OS? Only the iPhone has a unique OS. Windows Phone is still used by HTC, LG and Samsung why would it be unique to Nokia?

So it is too late for WP to join the mobile market where Android and iOS are dominated. However, it's not too late for Nokia to join Android where Samsung has all of its market?

Also, look at HTC, their hardware is same or better than Samsung, but yet they can't even complete with Samsung within Android market. Even if Nokia went with Android, where would they got the funds to compete with Samsung.

I still regret the day that Nokia went to Windows. They would be near the top of the pile today if they had chosen Android instead.

Not really. unlike Samsung Nokia can't afford to buy the market. Samsung doesn't sell the most because their phones are the best or because they look the best or work the best, but because they made people believe it, by for a long period saying thy where while selling the phones at a loss or close to a loss to buy the market. It's a very expensive strategy, but it works.They have used the same strategy on TV's and are now using it on their white good, selling them with boosted specs at low end prices and with 10 year warranty. and these are cheap crap stuff that don't stand a chance lasting 10 years, and should cost more to start with, unfortunately for them, white goods is one of the markets I don't think they can buy, not in europe anyway.

either way, Nokia didn't have a chance competing against that, and with Google refusing them to fully customize the OS as they see fit while staying android store compatible was a deal breaker.

Nokia would have done fine with Android... With their hardware design and experience plus ability to customize the OS, would have been a good combination. I have a hard time seeing them successful with only Windows Phone... Time will tell, of course.

unique OS? Only the iPhone has a unique OS. Windows Phone is still used by HTC, LG and Samsung why would it be unique to Nokia?

iPhone is hardly unique when every other out there looks the same.

Nokia is unique in that they have differentiating hardware, and exclusive access to the OS through their partnership with Microsoft. No one else has that.

Not really. unlike Samsung Nokia can't afford to buy the market. Samsung doesn't sell the most because their phones are the best or because they look the best or work the best, but because they made people believe it, by for a long period saying thy where while selling the phones at a loss or close to a loss to buy the market.

Everyone has a different opinion about these things but I find Samsung has the best phones right now. I have a Note 2 and I've yet to find another phone that even comes close to comparing with it for me. I think Samsung has figured out that you can't win the market with one or two phones, because everyone wants something different. So you put out a variety of phones.

iPhone is hardly unique when every other out there looks the same. Nokia is unique in that they have differentiating hardware, and exclusive access to the OS through their partnership with Microsoft. No one else has that.
exclusive access to the OS through their partnership with Microsoft? What different on Nokia Windows Phone 8 different compared to other Windows Phone 8 devices from HTC or Samsung? Sorry maybe I'm not follow the tech news much so I might be missing something out.

Also, the Lumia 920 is the most popular Windows Phone device (source). And it's a high-end device. That shows how well they're doing on the hardware side. And speaking of the hardware side, WP allows them to be unique and not just with the OS. The Lumia range of phones are offered in a variety of colours that go well with the colours of WP. If they went with Android, they'd have the same issues as any company that isn't Samsung (but to a lesser degree because it's Nokia and their hardware is awesome).

Unique? hah, what a joke. It's basically the same end experience with slight variations to the CPU, RAM, Camera, and case. Not to mention the fact that Microsoft limits what they can and cannot design into their handsets. You get none of that limitation with Android, hell pretty much any part of it apart from the Google Experience applications can be customised.

exclusive access to the OS through their partnership with Microsoft? What different on Nokia Windows Phone 8 different compared to other Windows Phone 8 devices from HTC or Samsung? Sorry maybe I'm not follow the tech news much so I might be missing something out.

I'm with you. I can't tell they gain much.