Nokia shareholder tells CEO Elop he's going to hell

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#61 ctebah

ctebah

Neowinian Senior

• 4,432 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 00:48

it doesn't matter anyways how many cores it supported or how modern you seem to think it is, meego was choppy and ugly. just another grid of icons and crappy UI controls. just what we need,more of the same garbage that's out there. and there was poor app support anyways.

Apparently it wasn't, at least not according to the reviews, or did you just ignore that part?

#62 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:00

I still regret the day that Nokia went to Windows. They would be near the top of the pile today if they had chosen Android instead.

#63 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,551 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:14

They would be near the bottom of the pile today if they had chosen Android instead.

FTFY.

#64 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:17

^ Whatever. We'll never know now, of course.

#65 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,551 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:24

Nokia not only makes Windows Phones, but they have an exclusive partnership with Microsoft. They would never have gotten that with Google.

#66 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,351 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:31

How is it dead until 2015 when they released a product with it which the great one elop then decided to shelve?

http://www.nokia.com...ducts/phone/n9/

Sailfish is about to be released which is based on MeeGo as well.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Sailfish_OS

Whatever he put in all the chips on Windows Phone so we'll see what happens.

The answer to your question is in the very question you asked. MeeGo is no longer updated and the Nokia N9 has been discontinued. It looks like the tweet from the guy in charge of MeeGo wasn't enough to make you accept the unfortunate truth that MeeGo is dead.

How's this?

By now, you may have read that The Linux Foundation, with the support of several other companies, announced a new project, Tizen, to build a new operating system for devices. This new project is first and foremost open source, and based on Linux. So it begs the question: why not just evolve MeeGo? We believe the future belongs to HTML5-based applications, outside of a relatively small percentage of apps, and we are firmly convinced that our investment needs to shift toward HTML5. Shifting to HTML5 doesn't just mean slapping a web runtime on an existing Linux, even one aimed at mobile, as MeeGo has been. Emphasizing HTML5 means that APIs not visible to HTML5 programmers need not be as rigid, and can evolve with platform technology and can vary by market segment.

Granted, this is a judgment on our part on which reasonable people could disagree, but that's the conclusion I came to.

But in the new project, a lot of things will be the same as they were in the MeeGo project. The Tizen project will reside within the Linux Foundation, will be governed by a Technical Steering Group, and will be developed openly with familiar and improved infrastructure. Much like MeeGo, the Tizen project will support multiple device categories, including Tablets, Netbooks, Handsets, Smart TV, and In-Vehicle Infotainment systems.

Over the next couple of months, we will be working very hard to make sure that users of MeeGo can easily transition to Tizen, and I will be working even harder to make sure that developers of MeeGo can also transition to Tizen.

I want to personally thank everyone who has participated in MeeGo over the past year and a half, and I encourage you to join us at Tizen.org. We hope to use what we learned from the MeeGo project to make Tizen successful, and I hope to see you participating in Tizen!

Imad

Source

You're right. We'll never know the real outcome of Nokia + Android; however, we can assume that the odds are against them. HTC used to be on top with their Android devices before Samsung gobbled up the market with their Galaxy line of smartphones. The bigger Samsung gets, the more their name is associated with Android. With Windows Phone, Nokia has something unique.

#67 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:33

I can't see where they have gained that much myself. Apparently other people feel the same, if they are saying he's going to hell. :D

#68 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,551 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:55

I can't see where they have gained that much myself. Apparently other people feel the same, if they are saying he's going to hell. :D

Really? They're creating unique hardware using a unique OS. That would never have happened with Android. It would have taken forever for Nokia to create an image, and by then it would have been too late.

#69 tanjiajun_34

tanjiajun_34

Neowinian

• 1,062 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:55

Really? They're creating unique hardware using a unique OS. That would never have happened with Android. It would have taken forever for Nokia to create an image, and by then it would have been too late.

unique OS? Only the iPhone has a unique OS. Windows Phone is still used by HTC, LG and Samsung why would it be unique to Nokia?

#70 MDboyz

MDboyz

Neowinian

• 1,286 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:36

So it is too late for WP to join the mobile market where Android and iOS are dominated. However, it's not too late for Nokia to join Android where Samsung has all of its market?

Also, look at HTC, their hardware is same or better than Samsung, but yet they can't even complete with Samsung within Android market. Even if Nokia went with Android, where would they got the funds to compete with Samsung.

#71 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,479 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:02

I still regret the day that Nokia went to Windows. They would be near the top of the pile today if they had chosen Android instead.

Not really. unlike Samsung Nokia can't afford to buy the market. Samsung doesn't sell the most because their phones are the best or because they look the best or work the best, but because they made people believe it, by for a long period saying thy where while selling the phones at a loss or close to a loss to buy the market. It's a very expensive strategy, but it works.They have used the same strategy on TV's and are now using it on their white good, selling them with boosted specs at low end prices and with 10 year warranty. and these are cheap crap stuff that don't stand a chance lasting 10 years, and should cost more to start with, unfortunately for them, white goods is one of the markets I don't think they can buy, not in europe anyway.

either way, Nokia didn't have a chance competing against that, and with Google refusing them to fully customize the OS as they see fit while staying android store compatible was a deal breaker.

#72 Mackster

Mackster

Neowinian

• 148 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:19

Nokia would have done fine with Android... With their hardware design and experience plus ability to customize the OS, would have been a good combination. I have a hard time seeing them successful with only Windows Phone... Time will tell, of course.

#73 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,551 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:18

unique OS? Only the iPhone has a unique OS. Windows Phone is still used by HTC, LG and Samsung why would it be unique to Nokia?

iPhone is hardly unique when every other out there looks the same.

Nokia is unique in that they have differentiating hardware, and exclusive access to the OS through their partnership with Microsoft. No one else has that.

#74 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:18

Not really. unlike Samsung Nokia can't afford to buy the market. Samsung doesn't sell the most because their phones are the best or because they look the best or work the best, but because they made people believe it, by for a long period saying thy where while selling the phones at a loss or close to a loss to buy the market.

Everyone has a different opinion about these things but I find Samsung has the best phones right now. I have a Note 2 and I've yet to find another phone that even comes close to comparing with it for me. I think Samsung has figured out that you can't win the market with one or two phones, because everyone wants something different. So you put out a variety of phones.

#75 tanjiajun_34

tanjiajun_34

Neowinian

• 1,062 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 17:48

iPhone is hardly unique when every other out there looks the same. Nokia is unique in that they have differentiating hardware, and exclusive access to the OS through their partnership with Microsoft. No one else has that.

exclusive access to the OS through their partnership with Microsoft? What different on Nokia Windows Phone 8 different compared to other Windows Phone 8 devices from HTC or Samsung? Sorry maybe I'm not follow the tech news much so I might be missing something out.