Temperature question

Hi,

I've got an MSI GTX 560 Ti TX Hawk, recently cleaned it out (not that it was very dirty) put some new cool paste (gold Coolermaster) and saw a little switch on the card saying it would either be on Normal mode or Cool mode or Performance mode.

I put it in Performance mode but now temps are close to 90?C when i play games. this cant be normal. Can it?

Just wondering since I'm in the dark with temperatures. I know these cards "could" go to 120?C but it wont be very wise for the life expectancy of the card.

So .. is it good for the card to do this? (I think not)

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N560GTX-Ti-Hawk.html

Hi,

I've got an MSI GTX 560 Ti TX Hawk, recently cleaned it out (not that it was very dirty) put some new cool paste (gold Coolermaster) and saw a little switch on the card saying it would either be on Normal mode or Cool mode or Performance mode.

I put it in Performance mode but now temps are close to 90?C when i play games. this cant be normal. Can it?

Just wondering since I'm in the dark with temperatures. I know these cards "could" go to 120?C but it wont be very wise for the life expectancy of the card.

So .. is it good for the card to do this? (I think not)

http://www.msi.com/p...TX-Ti-Hawk.html

They've got a cutoff of 105 IIRC, eg meaning if you pass that temperature it will shutoff "slow down" to protect itself.

Also, could you link me what thermal paste you used as I'm interested in replacing the one in my 8800gtx

They've got a cutoff of 105 IIRC, eg meaning if you pass that temperature it will shutoff "slow down" to protect itself.

Also, could you link me what thermal paste you used as I'm interested in replacing the one in my 8800gtx

Used this, http://azerty.nl/producten/product_detail/?ID=558430 "Cooler Master IC Essential E2"

also used it for my Corei7 2600k

Have you tried cleaning out the case and the GPU thorougly? 90c is pretty high for any GPU, especially a GTX 560 Ti. I haven't seen my GTX 560 Ti pass 70c, and that is with my terrible cable management. It usually hangs out in the low-mid 60c range when I'm doing heavy duty gaming.

Performance mode should actually result in lower temperatures by allowing fans to go wild. It has nothing to do with clocks or actual gaming performance, as it were.

Do fans spin properly - might have damaged them accidentally, so they don't run at full speed anymore.

Also might not have it put back together tight enough, so the heatsink doesn't make good contact. Check screws, they're annoying like that.

Could you also take a picture of your setup? Possibly have hot ambient air, bad airflow, etc... could be many, could be none, could be some...

Is this safe for GPUs? IIRC you can cpu paste on gpu, but it has to be a non conducting one?

Edit: nvm, i'll start a separate thread for it :p thanks anyway.

******** I use AS5 on everything never had a problem you just need to make sure that your not putting to much on for GPU's i use the little blob and smear method