17 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 666 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 18:48

Wolfenstein: The New Order will be single player only game
by John Callaham

Wolfenstein: The New Order, the just announced new game in the long running shooter series, won't be giving its players any multiplayer action this time out. The decision by developer MachineGames and publisher Bethesda Softworks was to make the game a single player experience.

As GameSpot reports, in both a prose and video preview, the decision was made to make Wolfenstein: The New Order an action-adventure shooter with a more immersive environment. The video shows some concept artwork from the game, such as the one shown above, but actual gameplay has yet to be seen. Wolfenstein: The New Order is due out later this fall for the PC, Xbox 360, PS3 and next generation consoles.

The game has already come under fire from an unusual source. Well know game designer Warren Spector, best known for his work on the first two Deus Ex games, took to his Facebook page to express his feelings on what he believes will be yet another shooter, saying, "Did we need a generically dark, monochromatic, FPS, kill-the-Nazi-giant-robot game."

In another Facebook post later this morning, Spector has apologized to the game's development for his remarks, adding, "And to everyone who pointed out that I didn't know enough about the game to judge, well, you were right. Consider this my mea culpa."

Source: GameSpot | Image via GameSpot

#2 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,342 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 08 May 2013 - 20:38

What's with bethesda and single player only?

#3 PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Views expressed are not necessarily those of the management

• 1,267 posts
  • Phone: LG Nexus 4

Posted 08 May 2013 - 20:48

It'll be pirated to hell and back then, most games which get lots of sales nowadays have good multiplayer because you can never play multiplayer on pirated games.

#4 JaredFrost

JaredFrost

joO 4R3 73H L337!

• 1,337 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 00:16

What's with companies putting multiplayer in games for the sake of multiplayer.

It'll be pirated to hell and back then, most games which get lots of sales nowadays have good multiplayer because you can never play multiplayer on pirated games.

Some of the highest selling games are single player only(Fallout, Batman, etc), sure they got pirated, but so do games with multiplayer
Adding multiplayer as an anti-piracy measure is stupid, they'll still pirate it, just they'd only play the single player campaign.

#5 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 13,832 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 00:19

Some of the highest selling games are single player only(Fallout, Batman, etc), sure they got pirated, but so do games with multiplayer
Adding multiplayer as an anti-piracy measure is stupid, they'll still pirate it, just they'd only play the single player campaign.

Yeah, so long as it's a good single player game with nice replay value, people will buy it.

#6 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,029 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:52

Some of my best gaming memories was playing through the campaign in coop mode as far back as Doom. Most games if they have multiplayer it is some last minute thrown together thing that is just a few maps and a deathmatch mode. Hardly worth wasting developer time on. People who want to play competitively will go to the titles that feature solid competitive multiplayer.

But I wish there were more coop multiplayer games. Even if the story doesn't make any sense with two players, I still have fun gunning down baddies with buds.

#7 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 9,998 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:49

Bethesda is the publisher as far as I can tell...

#8 (Spork)

(Spork)

ANDROID-APPLE

• 4,786 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:59

woot woot im all for single player games :D

#9 +dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 9,998 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 09 May 2013 - 19:45

Edit- wrong thread. Mods feel free to delete this.

#10 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,877 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 21:57

Good. Too many game companies focusing on MP and putting in crappy SP experiences these days.

#11 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• 2,823 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 22:09

I don't know who told you that, because I have not seen a multi-player game yet that hasn't been hacked to allow online play. It may take a little longer, but it's always possible and won't curb piracy.

#12 Cocoliso

Cocoliso

Neowinian

• 97 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 23:20

Yeah other SP games like Skyrim, dragon age, GTA, etc dont sell well right? :rolleyes:

#13 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,170 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:34

Good. Hate shoe horned mp modes in games which just dont need them.

#14 este

este

Neowinian Senior

• 2,191 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:39

Great news. Don't play (online) multiplayer modes and it's nice to see they put all of their focus into the single player campaign. Hopefully it will be awesome.

#15 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• 18,260 posts
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:44

SP only means they should work hard on gameplay and the story, I'm happy about this. Too often devs just bother with MP and **** on us SP loving gamers.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!