virginia machine gun noises threatening ex-marine dad nothing wrong

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#16 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:34

If they want to stop this, they need to get the media to stop producing such violent content.

#17 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 1,893 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:40

Im with the school the kid shouldn't be emulating his dad even if he is a solider.... im sure the dad would agree. If I was a soldier and I never will be, I would not want my kid glorifying it, Plus someone could have got hurt with the pencils.

You got to be kidding right? When you were young you never played cowboy and indian, or you acted out one of your favorite cartoon shows like GI Joe or Thundercats?
Boys do this all the time.
And the fact that you come from a country with no gun culture has nothing to do with it.

Ignorance on the school for not being able to evaluate the situation and act accordingly. We are going to disagree no matter what here and I am not going to argue this. All I know is that if a 7 year old points a pencil at me and makes noises, I am not going to be running away and hiding in a corner fearing for my life.

When they pointed at me and made noises, I stuck up my thumb, aimed my index finger and shot back :)

Maybe the teacher should have taken the boys aside and told them what they did was not allowed in school and please not do that again?

That would be the more sensible thing to do if you really would have an issue with boys being boys

#18 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• 2,714 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:01

Im with the school the kid shouldn't be emulating his dad even if he is a solider.... im sure the dad would agree. If I was a soldier and I never will be, I would not want my kid glorifying it, Plus someone could have got hurt with the pencils.

You don't want your child to look up to you? Also, what's wrong with being a soldier?

#19 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,033 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:15

Im two fold on this. While part of me is saying, they are just kids, and well I remember having fun like this when I was a kid. However in this day in age, violence is glorified a lot, kids are being exposed to it much more. Yes there is a Zero tolerance policy It would seem appropriate for the Teacher to be able to talk to the kids and at least explain why they shouldn't do that before taking to the principles office.

#20 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,940 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:11

It's bloody stupid to micromanage political correctness, especially to this degree. Our schools are turning into a sissified world akin to that in Demolition Man.

#21 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,528 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:13

Wow, just wow......................

#22 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,986 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:18

Gunplay has been and always will be a staple for boys make-believe play!

#23 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,347 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:24

Nope im serious. No such thing as common sense. I remember our teachers telling us we were forbidden from drawing pictures of guns... yes i'm serious but then I come from a sans gun nation,

I went to school in the UK and there was nothing stopping us from drawing whatever we wanted. Perhaps it was a simpler time when kids could still be kids though.

With that in mind, given that this took place in the US I can sort of see where this is coming from. With the recent shootings happening it's understandable to be on edge. At the same time though, I'm pretty sure if you used your head you could tell the difference between a child just having fun and a child that may be...disturbed.

#24 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:29

It's bloody stupid to micromanage political correctness, especially to this degree. Our schools are turning into a sissified world akin to that in Demolition Man.

You can't blame them considering the kind of gun culture you guys have, the amount of school/university shootings and the fact that kids have "my first gun" and parents who leave their guns unlocked could easily bring one into school and shoot someone.

If they want to stop this, they need to get the media to stop producing such violent content.

Yeah its totally the medias fault.............................. :no:

#25 francescob

francescob

Neowinian Senior

• 1,764 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:41

Will somebody please think of the children?! We clearly need to ban pencils from school, not to mention erasers, that could as well be used to emulate hand grenades!

#26 ramesees

ramesees

Neowinian Senior

• 2,535 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:43

Which will make future generations so much easier to control and manipulate once you breed any notion of resistance out of them from such a young age.

#27 Breach

Breach

Neowinian

• 856 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:44

"A pencil is a weapon when it is pointed at someone in a threatening way and gun noises are made" - Really??? Next time a 7 year old points a water gun at me I'm calling the po-lice!

"Some children would consider it threatening, who are scared about shootings in schools or shootings in the community. - Yeah, and I am intimidated by teachers giving me the evil eye.

Way to tackle gun violence - punish kids for doing what kids do and brainwash them into the perfect victims of the real world out there. The kind of mentality I see in many schools is just... sickening.

#28 tbarnett

tbarnett

Neowinian

• 36 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:58

I'd like to point out that pencils are not designed to shoot bullets. They do not come out of a person's index finger, or for that matter, a chicken bone.

Also, a student could stab someone with a pencil so we need to ban pencils from schools. A student could beat someone to death with a chair, so we need to get rid of chairs.

Hmmm...

Someone could hurt another person with just about anything, even jello (if they are truly creative), so we need to ban schools in general.

#29 Elessar

Elessar

Professional Daydreamer

• 1,893 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:07

So we're just crushing kids' creativity and imagination shortly after they enter school now? Nice...should bode well for this future generation

/sarcasm

#30 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,051 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:21

Nope im serious. No such thing as common sense. I remember our teachers telling us we were forbidden from drawing pictures of guns... yes i'm serious but then I come from a sans gun nation,

There is such thing as common sense, it's just subjective. Kids acting as kids shouldn't be discouraged, if anything it should be guided and the school is doing a **** poor job of it.

Will somebody please think of the children?! We clearly need to ban pencils from school, not to mention erasers, that could as well be used to emulate hand grenades!

When I was in grade school we did the wimp test were you rub the erasers on your arm as many times back and forth as you can before wimping out. Granted it was as stupid then as I remember it now and it left a blister on my arm for a long time. BURN THE EVIL ERASERS.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!