Photo

Arch or Debian for laptop

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ArtistX

ArtistX

Neowinian

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:20

Gentoo on my laptop is really annoying now, due to the fact that is takes hours to compile some of the updates, namely the new 4.10.3 KDE updates as well as libreoffice, plus it stresses the poor thing out.

On my other systems its not an issue as they have the power to configure the packages, I have googled the pros and cons between the two, and a lot of people say to use one over the other, I have tried arch and it seems good, but the advise seems to be titled towards debian.

Should I just go with debian or try arch again, sometimes too much choice is not always a good thing

#2 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:25

I use Debian on my laptop, just switched to it last week

I wanted a nice stable distro that did not require me fixing a load of problems that seems to happen with the bleeding edge Distros

so in my Opinion i would choose Debian

Arch i hear is a lot more slimmed down? but more hands on

#3 REM2000

REM2000

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:34

i always go with Debian as everything is well tested and it's easy to get a system together, plus i like the plain cut down UI.

I think it will come down to a balance of what you want, something thats really customization a la Arch or something simple.

#4 +fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:44

I would also go with Debian.. much more support and a lot less hassel..

#5 tiagosilva29

tiagosilva29

You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment.

• Phone: I need a new one. Gibe moni plos

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:49

Debian

#6 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:02

Debian for stability or Arch for cutting edge. I personally prefer Debian.

#7 Kreuger

Kreuger

Neowin's Local Grouch

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:02

I prefer Debian because debs are a breeze to work with. Im pretty sure Arch is a lot of compiling too.

#8 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:04

Arch is rather good, but can be fairly hands on at times, never mind having the occasional problems (some serious, especially if you don't read up on things before doing updates), comes with being a bleeding edge distro. On the plus side you get exactly what you want (build up versus tearing down a kitchen sink distro), has an optional ports/portgage like system available, excellent documentation, fast updates, etc. Optionally, if you like how Arch works and are a KDE fan, Chakra might be worth a look. No longer based on Arch, but still similar in design, uses a "half rolling" release model which I rather like (system is stable, userland is bleeding edge), and it's very KDE-centric.. in fact GTK based software is treated like a second rate citizen and is frowned upon. Great if you're into KDE but it's not for everybody.

But if you want it to work with the minimal amount of fuss, I'd go with Debian or one of its derivatives myself, especially if you stick to the stable branch.. although I don't recall having any major problems using Testing either back when I used it, nothing that crippled the system anyway. Install it and forget it, it's a good "workhorse" distro.

#9 OP ArtistX

ArtistX

Neowinian

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:04

guess i will go with debian then, would people suggest it for a core i7 desktop, and a server ?

#10 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 09 May 2013 - 13:05

guess i will go with debian then, would people suggest it for a core i7 desktop, and a server ?

Debian stable makes an excellent server distro (bleeding edge and servers are typically a bad idea), and sure, it'll run just fine on an i7 too.

#11 +Karl L.

Karl L.

xorangekiller

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 09 May 2013 - 14:52

Max Norris has a very good explanation of the primary differences between Arch and Debian. They are essentially on opposite ends of the spectrum. Debian updates slowly but is very easy, fast, and stable. Arch updates rapidly but is time intensive to configure and sometimes unstable.

To answer your other question, one of Debian's most common roles is as a workhorse server distro. It will work well on the latest hardware, including an Ivy Bridge Core i7. I personally use it on a Sandy Bridge Core i5 - my primary workstation - with no major problems to speak of.

#12 OP ArtistX

ArtistX

Neowinian

Posted 09 May 2013 - 14:54

Already install it and xfce on laptop, not sure if i should go with the usual KDE as I do, going to have a play about and see what i like :)

#13 macstar

macstar

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 09 May 2013 - 16:12

u shud give zenwalk a try. worked like a charm last time i ran it on my laptop.

#14 sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson

Anonymous

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:30

It appears that im a little late, but I would have said if you are a Gentoo user install Arch it wont be much of a learning curve. I use Arch as my primary system and Debian on all my servers, as far as the two distros go they are the opposite ends of the scale but imo the two best available distros currently.

#15 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:37

Gentoo on my laptop is really annoying now, due to the fact that is takes hours to compile some of the updates, namely the new 4.10.3 KDE updates as well as libreoffice, plus it stresses the poor thing out.

On my other systems its not an issue as they have the power to configure the packages, I have googled the pros and cons between the two, and a lot of people say to use one over the other, I have tried arch and it seems good, but the advise seems to be titled towards debian.

Should I just go with debian or try arch again, sometimes too much choice is not always a good thing

if you like gentoo but only dislike having to compile things I'd recommend arch. Arch is similar to gentoo in that you have a ton of control over your system and build your system from the ground up, but unlike gentoo arch uses binary packages and updates are very quick.

Debian can be built up from a very minimal base too though so in the end it really goes down to if you prefer bleeding edge or very stable updates.

I prefer Debian because debs are a breeze to work with. Im pretty sure Arch is a lot of compiling too.

Arch has all binary packages, there is no compiling unless you use the AUR, and even if you use the AUR you usually only need to use it for a few packages here and there, arch's repos are pretty good and have most anything you'd need.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!