22 replies to this topic

#16 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 09 May 2013 - 18:41

Debian!
Arch is great and all but if you get an update that breaks your laptop, it'll be a pain in the arse to fix, plus there's bugs and I've found arch to be of questionably **** quality as of late, heck I'm actually temped to give debian a go.

#17 greythorne

greythorne

Neowinian

Posted 17 June 2013 - 13:31

Using Debian wheezy on a HP laptop. The thing is you can fry an egg on it. Its that hot. The laptop has dual graphics. Intel 4000 HD and ati radeon 5400m. Any idea what I should do? Wireless not working no matter what I try. I followed the Debian wiki but no use.

#18 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 17 June 2013 - 13:36

what wireless do you have?

#19 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 June 2013 - 14:01

Debian!
Arch is great and all but if you get an update that breaks your laptop, it'll be a pain in the arse to fix, plus there's bugs and I've found arch to be of questionably **** quality as of late, heck I'm actually temped to give debian a go.

That's true but on the other hand Debian stable is so far behind it doesn't support newer hardware. Hardware a year or so old, it's solid.

#20 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 17 June 2013 - 21:29

If you're already a Gentoo user, you'd probably be more at home with Arch than with Debian, but both are good distros. Arch is more hands on like Gentoo, but with no (or little) compiling of packages. Debian is kind of the tortoise, in that it's a consistently stable distro, but slow to update, whereas Arch is constantly updating, but occasionally a pain to configure when core packages update.

Incidentally, you might want to give Fedora a try. You get a pretty stable distro, but frequent updates. The downside of Fedora is that I've heard it's a PITA to install nowadays.

#21 greythorne

greythorne

Neowinian

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:27

what wireless do you have?

It's a broadcom 4313. Also how about the dual graphics?

#22 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:49

Incidentally, you might want to give Fedora a try. You get a pretty stable distro, but frequent updates. The downside of Fedora is that I've heard it's a PITA to install nowadays.

I used fedora before Debian, its easy enough to install if you follow the instructions

Its good as Majesticmerc says its stable with frequent updates but be prepared for some issues now and again

#23 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:44

After running wheezy for a while on my laptop, I did go back to xubuntu (and then back to arch which I'm running now). I liked debian, but arch's newer packages just work a lot better on my hardware. I like just like arch's design better. Using systemd by default, its packages are very really patched and generally stick as close to upstream as possible etc...

They are both good distros, really down to user preference. Use debian if you are very concerned about "stability" and/or really like the debian base and tools, and debian's easier install. Use arch if you want more bleeding edge packages, true rolling release, and very upstream packages.

Debian!

Ironically enough, I've actually found arch to be less buggy on my laptop than debian, mostly due to certain very outdated packages in debian. I've rarely had major issues with arch myself.

Judging from the threads I've seen from you a more conservative distro should be a much better fit for you. Arch is a bleeding edge rolling release that always has the latest upstream software. This also means the latest upstream bugs. However, since arch gets updated so often, it also gets bugfixes for these issues very fast, and in comparison a very conservative distro like debian, you will sometimes be pretty much "stuck" with whatever bugs you run into, unless they decide to backport the fixes.